Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    few tips from an owner of a hypochondriac dog.

1) Do not try taking her for walks when she is in this state.
    2) Dont over excite her or play with her. Keep her calm on her bed and try to avoid any house guests that may get her excited.
    3) You could try soaking her paw in some warm water just incase it is a bite or strain it might help relieve the pain
    Last edited by Robo; 2012-01-12 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I have a 5 month old purebred German Shepherd Dog named Sura, and She just started limping and whining out of the blue this morning. I checked her paw and leg for any swelling or injuries and found nothing, but I'm no doctor. What could be wrong? :'(

She has a vet appointment for Friday but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for her right now.

*Limping came first, and whining a bit later on.

Keep her as calm as possible (which with a GSD pup is going to be hard). No excessive exercise like fetch or chasing anything, definitely no jumping. It could be as simple as growing pains or a muscle strain, but like someone else mentioned, hip and elbow problems are unfortunately very common in the breed. Don't let the whining worry you too much in the meantime though, GSD's are big babies and will whine over damn near anything My 10 year old GSD is still a huge whiner. Do not give her any meds without consulting your vet first.

Deleted
    Ok then. i see everything clearly now

Deleted
    Might be some allergy, or if you have any stairs she could have fell down from.

Thanks guys. I put her in her crate will her kong and peanut butter.
    man sometimes i wish i was just a puppy.

I hope your puppy is OK. Several years ago my Shep/Pit Bull mix was limping, crying, would put no weight on her paw at all. I freaked out, rushed her into the vet only to find out my little Drama Queen had a tiny not even a 1/4 inch cut on her paw :/. It wasn't even deep! The year prior she nearly died from an auto immune disease so naturally I didn't want to take any chances. The vet bandaged it just so she wouldn't lick it and make it worse but really she was fine. I hope your puppies situation works out as easily as mine did! Dogs are awesome and I hate to hear of one sick or hurt!

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer that had the same problem. Found out he was just having a lot of muscular cramping from dehydration. Give it a ton of water to drink and make sure its pee is a decent color.

Give it a very small amount of acetaminophen/Tylenol (not any other form then just acetaminophen!). A maximum of 125mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggles View Post
    Give it a very small amount of acetaminophen/Tylenol (not any other form then just acetaminophen!). A maximum of 125mg.
    This is a perfect example of why "advice" over the internet is total BS a lot of the time. Tylenol is toxic to dogs and cats and should never be given.
    http://www.avma.org/myveterinarian/poisonous_pills.asp

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So at 3:45 am this morning the whole house is awoken by my dog crying loud in apparent agony. All I could do was hold her and pet her and she just cried and cried. then I cried. I'm calling the vet as soon as it opens to bump her appointment up. She's sleeping now. I think she tired herself out from crying so much. Her limping has gotten worse as well.

I'll keep you guys posted.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 09:29 AM ----------

Could only get a noon appointment. She's currently just laying on the floor whimpering. She wont drink and water either which is worrying me. I put the bowl right by her and she got up and walked away to lie down elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmessi View Post
    Why are you still posting here? Goto the bloody vet already. Puppies can go down-hill very fast and even something very simple can turn into something very bad. You're also risking costing yourself more money the longer you wait to goto the vet. Go now and risk paying $500 instead of going in 1 week later and risk having to paying $5000!

If it does end up being something bad the longer you wait the worse it will get and the more it will end up costing you.

Source : My parents are both Vets and have ran their own veterinary clinic for the past 30 years.
    I'm going at noon, it's the earliest I can go. I'm doing everything I can here.

So at 3:45 am this morning the whole house is awoken by my dog crying loud in apparent agony. All I could do was hold her and pet her and she just cried and cried. then I cried. I'm calling the vet as soon as it opens to bump her appointment up. She's sleeping now. I think she tired herself out from crying so much. Her limping has gotten worse as well.

Could only get a noon appointment. She's currently just laying on the floor whimpering. She wont drink and water either which is worrying me. I put the bowl right by her and she got up and walked away to lie down elsewhere.
    what the hell is with your vet, a few days ago my dogs heart was beating rapidly while he was laying down, i called the vet and he told me to bring him in within 30min. turned out he was just nervous about the upcoming weather (dogs can sense weather, his joints hurt alot during high humidity/rain do to his arthritis)
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.

Oh dear, sorry to read this - I hope you can get into the vets soon and hope everything is ok with her.
    Really, really distressing when a pet is in pain and you don't know what's causing it
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your pup.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    UPDATE!

So 200 bucks and 2 xrays later I find out that my dog has a bruised toe.

She must have landed wrong and hurt some tissue. THAT was the big emergency. I thought she was freaking dying!

Anyway, can't put a price on piece of mind. We got her some painkillers so she's doing well. She's currently relaxing by my feet.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, seems little Sura is going to be just fine after all.

Angry

I'm doing everything I can here.
    Hate to say it but no you wern't. Your dog was in pain for what? 2-3 days.

can't put a price on piece of mind
    Then why didn't you organise for someone to take your dog to the vets when all this began?

Could only get a noon appointment.
    Does your vet not have an emergency number or location you can go for after hours emergencies? I'd imagine unless you lived in a rural area most places should have emergency clinics.

If you ever have problems with your dog again, I would suggest not asking for advice on a forum, especially a gaming forum where trolls are a common accurance. People can't really diagnose what's wrong with your dog over the internet, you will need someone to actually check over the dog, someone who knows what their actually looking/feeling for.

So 200 bucks and 2 xrays later I find out that my dog has a bruised toe.

She must have landed wrong and hurt some tissue. THAT was the big emergency. I thought she was freaking dying!
    This may not seem like much to you but put yourself in your dogs situation. A dog does pretty much everything on its feet. Being a 6month old GSD, she weighs roughly 20kgs? Have you ever dropped something heavy on your foot or toes? something that bruises or causes a break? If not maybe you should try it then see how you go walking around for a few days putting your body weight onto the damaged area. I bet you won't think it's so minor then.

You got lucky this time. Next time it could be a lot worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dog is back to her old self again.

Ad Kesty, calm down man, like I said I did everything I could. I only got paid on Friday and that's when I could take her. And she wasn't walking around, she was in her crate with a blanket and I was keeping her as comfortable as I could.

Your all excuses. Any reputable vet would have payment plans in place so that even if you didnt have the money then you could still of had the dog checked out. If you had her as comfortable as you say you did then Why was she waking the whole house up with her crying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    My dog is back to her old self again.
    Glad to hear she's ok
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kesty View Post
    Your all excuses. Any reputable vet would have payment plans in place so that even if you didnt have the money then you could still of had the dog checked out. If you had her as comfortable as you say you did then Why was she waking the whole house up with her crying.
    Um I have to say where I live ALL the vets do not see them unless your able to pay immediately upon services rendered so I do not know about that person but I know a lot of vets around the world are doing that now because people wont pay after the services are done and over and their pets are okk.

10+ Year Old Account
    This dog got better over 2 years ago!

What's next? Reopening a thread about whether or not Neville Chamberlain should appease Germany during his upcoming meeting?