Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draconith1 View Post
    I love how people are complaining about inhaling a miniscule amount of smoke, but pay no mind to the cars that they and everyone else drive which do more damage healthwise and enviormentally than cigarettes ever could. BUT ITS OK because they are a neccasary evil.
    Well, I guess we could all ride bikes. I guess we could start leaving for work an hour earlier every day. I guess we could not have ambulances and fire trucks. I guess we could not be allowed to travel as a family, unless we wanted to go back to the good old horse and buggy.

Y'know what? If everyone was on board for that, I bet I could get used to it. But I'm afraid the automobile has become a staple of standard human living. It gets us where we need to go in an incredibly convenient and comparatively quick manner. You find me a comparable benefit of smoking.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Venteus View Post
    "every person you know suddenly starts smoking."
    ^ Is this an exaggeration? Seems quite stupid to say this when a single person can cause himself cancer by smoking. Mind you, there are numerous studies that point to smoke inhaled second hand being far more potent.

The issue of how often the stranger is exposed is irrelevant. He shouldn't be the one who has to watch out for repeated exposures to your fumes.
    There are a number of carcinogens in tobacco smoke. One of the oldest was the ashes, and that problem was all but eliminated with the advent of filters. Mainly what you inhale from second hand smoke is nicotine and carbon. I've also heard that they get more potent second hand, but that's if you're very close, and those two aren't even cancerous. Most of the carcinogens actually get left in the body of the smoker. My point with my exaggeration is that it's more in theory that you can get cancer. Yeah, the carcinogens are there, but they likely wont do much more than smell bad and give you an unpleasent mellow if you aren't constantly being exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    Well, I guess we could all ride bikes. I guess we could start leaving for work an hour earlier every day. I guess we could not have ambulances and fire trucks. I guess we could not be allowed to travel as a family, unless we wanted to go back to the good old horse and buggy.

Y'know what? If everyone was on board for that, I bet I could get used to it. But I'm afraid the automobile has become a staple of standard human living. It gets us where we need to go in an incredibly convenient and comparatively quick manner. You find me a comparable benefit of smoking.
    I never said get rid of cars instead, why dont you all use the same amount of bitching and zealotry to go after something that matters much more, Instead of worrying about the smoker you pass occasionally why not get in car manufactor's faces and demand cars with lower emissions, demand the use of clean fuel. You know, do something that actually matters

Deleted
    I believe we call this a checkmate.

Hmmm lets see. It relieves stress. Is extremely enjoyable to do when shit faced. Smells great (personal preference I love the smell of smoke. Come at me.) I don't give a rats ass about car emission because I already smoke. I don't care about a few more carcinogens.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as it isn't harming others, people should be able to put whatever they want into their bodies, for better or for worse. Whether it's drugs, booze, alcohol, cigarettes...it doesn't matter people who really want it will get it.
    Last edited by -Zait-; 2012-01-27 at 06:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Hmmm lets see. It relieves stress. Is extremely enjoyable to do when shit faced. Smells great (personal preference I love the smell of smoke. Come at me.) I don't give a rats ass about car emission because I already smoke. I don't care about a few more carcinogens.
    It relieves stress.

You neglect to mention the likely cause of that stress; cravings, caused by your addiction in the first place.

Is extremely enjoyable to do when shit faced.

A productive life you lead sir.

Smells great

Agree to disagree.

I don't care about a few more carcinogens.

Responsible.

I never said get rid of cars instead, why dont you all use the same amount of bitching and zealotry to go after something that matters much more, Instead of worrying about the smoker you pass occasionally why not get in car manufactor's faces and demand cars with lower emissions, demand the use of clean fuel. You know, do something that actually matters
    Well, thankfully, with the introduction of hybrid cars, manufacturers are at least trying to address the issues of using harmful fuels. It's relatively new, and currently, the amount of mileage you can get out of one is pretty terrible. But it's a light of hope for things to come.

Granted, I realize it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle for a while. Cars that use a different source of energy would put all the fuel businesses out of work, and God knows we have enough troubles keeping jobs here in the States.

Still, improvements are being made. I may see them in my lifetime, we've accomplished quite a bit since I've been born, I remain hopeful. But there are no conceivable improvements being made to cigarettes to have them stop causing cancer to people who use them normally. I'm interested in seeing what those new cigarettes are, the ones that use water vapor to simulate cigarette smoke, I'm interested in seeing what those are like. Have any smokers tried those out?

Deleted
    Except the car companies as a whole are and have been doing a great deal to increase the efficiency of their vehicles and carbon emissions over these past few years, while many smokers remain positively proud of a wholly dangerous habit, never mind refuse to try and quit. Mustn't be very comfortable in that corner over there.

I am not a smoker . I have tried it a free times just to see if i liked it and i never did. Though i can see the allure. My whole family, on the other hand, loves it.
    The change i would make, is allow people to make their establishment a smoking one or not. Smoking being banned in bars is asinine.
    On a much more disturbing note. I am very very surprised at the amount of people calling for it to be banned everywhere even in private homes. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
    I am not trying to cut anyone down. I am being sincere. If you honestly believe people don't have the right to do something on their own private property in their own homes just because you personnely don't like you need to start thinking less apathetically. You are not the hero of this story. Everyone has to exist together. People have the right to do as they please in their own homes just as you have the right to do the same.
    Opinions such as this have no place in this modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    It relieves stress.

You neglect to mention the likely cause of that stress; cravings, caused by your addiction in the first place.

Is extremely enjoyable to do when shit faced.

A productive life you lead sir.

Smells great

Agree to disagree.

I don't care about a few more carcinogens.

Responsible.
    Its the way I live my life I live in America I can do it however I want as long as im not killing someone. And don't go on about how second hand smoke causes cancer because it takes so much of it it is almost unheard of. Also my lung capacity is at 91%. Still going stong lol! Also I have rarely crave a cig I do it to enjoy it not because I need it. I crave a burger more than a cig.

There are far healthier ways of relieving stress, ones that don't involve potentially killing yourself. Also, I asked for a benefit of smoking that is comparable to the benefits of being able to drive a car. Somehow, I think those fell a bit short.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you kidding. Are you really trying to compare smoking and cars...........?

Look, smoking is the same as alcohol, pot, hookah, casual sex, and everything else held taboo in this society: there are ignorant, selfish, and annoyingly stubborn people on both sides. They are normally the loudest. MOST of the time you wont hear people who don't smoke cry about being around it for 5 seconds. MOST of the time you want have an asshole who doesn't want to hold on for his sig or move a few feet away.

So lets stop pretending every single person who doesn't smoke is a loudmouth pushing his comfort on others rights and all smokers are selfish assholes who blow smoke in babies faces. Ignore the morons on both sides and you will probably see there are a lot better things to cry about. =]

Deleted
    There are so few smokers left in the world that it has become a non-issue. Though all unhealthy emissions should be regulated in public (Including cars).
    Smoking is simply an inconveniance for others *Omg i had smoke in my face for 2 seconds, im going to die from lungcancer*. Try putting your face infront of an exhaust pipe and take a deep breath and see what happens ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post

Look, smoking is the same as alcohol, pot, hookah, casual sex, and everything else held taboo in this society: there are ignorant, selfish, and annoyingly stubborn people on both sides. They are normally the loudest. MOST of the time you wont hear people who don't smoke cry about being around it for 5 seconds. MOST of the time you want have an asshole who doesn't want to hold on for his sig or move a few feet away.

So lets stop pretending every single person who doesn't smoke is a loudmouth pushing his comfort on others rights and all smokers are selfish assholes who blow smoke in babies faces. Ignore the morons on both sides and you will probably see there are a lot better things to cry about. =]
    + 10 internetz

Its the way I live my life I live in America I can do it however I want as long as im not killing someone. And don't go on about how second hand smoke causes cancer because it takes so much of it it is almost unheard of. Also my lung capacity is at 91%. Still going stong lol! Also I have rarely crave a cig I do it to enjoy it not because I need it. I crave a burger more than a cig.
    I am currently on oxygen. I go into coughing fits and I have to have a breathing treatment if someone decides to smoke outside a building that I want to enter. My lung capacity is at about 45%.

The LINGERING second hand smoke outside a doorway will cause this. So kindly take your deaths sticks away from me. I don't care what you do to your body. leave mine alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    I am currently on oxygen. I go into coughing fits and I have to have a breathing treatment if someone decides to smoke outside a building that I want to enter. My lung capacity is at about 45%.

The LINGERING second hand smoke outside a doorway will cause this. So kindly take your deaths sticks away from me. I don't care what you do to your body. leave mine alone.
    I don't smoke in doorways. Never had. I am sorry that your lung capacity is at 45% but unless you ask me nicely or I see you having a coughing fit I wont know to put it out or move out of the way. Im not going to stop smoking for the few people who are actually affected by it. As dicky as it sounds I have no way of knowing who it does affect thats why I sit on my bench. 30 feet away from people an have a cig.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post

Hahaha, just comparing it with cars to the person who wanted to divert the discussion by saying that cars are more damaging. I actually know a great deal of smokers, and they're all fine people. Just killing themselves slowly.

But hey, every smoker at least has a chance of living as long as George Burns and potentially not lowering the health of those they live with.

Edit: Ah, that came off as a bit bitter. I apologize. I have not been damaged by secondhand smoke. But I have, secondhand, been damaged by cigarettes, when I, and my family, lost our aunt to throat cancer. "Annoyingly stubborn" is, I suppose, accurate.
    Last edited by TheWerebison; 2012-01-27 at 03:34 AM.

I don't smoke in doorways. Never had. I am sorry that your lung capacity is at 45% but unless you ask me nicely or I see you having a coughing fit I wont know to put it out or move out of the way. Im not going to stop smoking for the few people who are actually affected by it. As dicky as it sounds I have no way of knowing who it does affect thats why I sit on my bench. 30 feet away from people an have a cig.
    See most people would realize "hey I don't know who might be adversely effected by my habit so I should probably not do it where it might hurt people" not "I don't know who might be effected so fuck em all".

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    See most people would realize "hey I don't know who might be adversely effected by my habit so I should probably not do it where it might hurt people" not "I don't know who might be effected so fuck em all".
    Thats why I sit on my bench 30 feet away from everyone.......