Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Read the transcript. He was asked
    I read the transcript. He wasn't asked how good of an ally they will be. He was asked if he considered the current Egyptian government an ally. Present, not future.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I read the transcript. He wasn't asked how good of an ally they will be. He was asked if he considered the current Egyptian government an ally. Present, not future.
    Current Egyptian Regime. Which is different than the one we allied with in 89. It is a correct answer, but worded in a way that will let his opposition attack him.

Current Egyptian Regime. Which is different than the one we allied with in 89. It is a correct answer, but worded in a way that will let his opposition attack him.
    It was the wrong answer. Absolutely. That's why the State Department has been walking it back. Egypt's status hasn't changed because of the new government.

It was the wrong answer. Absolutely. That's why the State Department has been walking it back. Egypt's status hasn't changed because of the new government.
    And I disagree. Congrats, we disagree on something else, awesome?

And I disagree. Congrats, we disagree on something else, awesome?
    That's fine. Some people think Elvis is still alive too. Obama said Egypt isn't an ally. The Obama State Department said Egypt is a major non NATO ally. That would seem pretty clear to most people.

That's fine. Some people think Elvis is still alive too. Obama said Egypt isn't an ally. The Obama State Department said Egypt is a major non NATO ally. That would seem pretty clear to most people.
    Obama said the Current Egyptian Regime is not an ally but not an enemy. I would say he is right, especially since the leader of that country was elected with the Islamic vote and does have to respond to the desires and thoughts of those voters, where Mubarak really didn't.

But hey, realizing that stuff isn't black and white is hard for some people, I know.

Obama said the Current Egyptian Regime is not an ally but not an enemy. I would say he is right, especially since the leader of that country was elected with the Islamic vote and does have to respond to the desires and thoughts of those voters, where Mubarak really didn't.

But hey, realizing that stuff isn't black and white is hard for some people, I know.
    Ok. You can think what you want. Like I said earlier.

It's not open to gradients. It's not only black and white, it's a matter of law. Something that you would think a former constitutional law professor would place value in. Under current US law, Egypt is a major non-NATO ally, and shares the same status as Israel, Japan, Australia and South Korea.

With all due respect, you need to read this before you take this any further. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501706_1...pt-is-an-ally/

Edit, here's the video of the State Department statement.

Last edited by Merkava; 2012-09-14 at 09:52 AM.

Ok. You can think what you want. Like I said earlier.

It's not open to gradients. It's not only black and white, it's a matter of law. Something that you would think a former constitutional law professor would place value in. Under current US law, Egypt is a major non-NATO ally, and shares the same status as Israel, Japan, Australia and South Korea.

With all due respect, you need to read this before you take this any further. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501706_1...pt-is-an-ally/
    And once again, you ignore an important word in the question asked. Here is a protip for you, Merkava, you can consider a nation an ally, but consider the newly appointed officials as less of an ally than the previous ones. I know you don't want to admit that this is possible, but it is. And goes once again to show that you need to read the actual question asked of Obama.

And once again, you ignore an important word in the question asked. Here is a protip for you, Merkava, you can consider a nation an ally, but consider the newly appointed officials as less of an ally than the previous ones. I know you don't want to admit that this is possible, but it is. And goes once again to show that you need to read the actual question asked of Obama.
    Protips? Lol. Listen kid, I admire your enthusiasm in wanting to defend Obama, but all you're doing is making yourself look silly. The State Department said there's been no change in the status of our relationship with Egypt. After the Muslim Brothers took power, no one, not even Obama suggested downgrading Egypt's status. And that remained the same until his interview with Telemundo.

Listen to NBC's chief foreign correspondent.

Let me leave you with this; the discussion is over. The Obama state department admitted that Obama was wrong. Jesus, look how miserable Victoria Nuland looks in the video I posted earlier. The state department has spoken on this. Obama himself has signed off on the surrender papers. This war is over. If you want to stay in the jungles and keep fighting, that's your business. But it's a loser for you. Obama was wrong.

Ooo calling me a 'kid'. What a great way to 'win' an argument.

I know there has been no change in our relationship status with Egypt. I know that we have gone to great lengths to get Egypt to keep its current treaties with Israel intact after the Muslim Brotherhood took power. What you don't seem to understand is that different elected people and parties can view different nations differently. Imagine that. Do you honestly think that the Muslim Brotherhood is going to be the same level of ally as Mubarak was?

I know there has been no change in our relationship status with Egypt.
    Well then. With that, as they say, I rest my case.
    Last edited by Merkava; 2012-09-14 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And? Egypt is considered a Non-NATO ally. The new Egyptian Regime, I don't know how good of any ally they will be to the US. Do you? It was a fair answer to the question, but phrased foolishly and the GOP will try to spin it as if Obama does not know what he is talking about.
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out how often someone on this board quoted Mitt Romney talking about the Olympics in London, wherein he stated that the issues that London struggled with were issues (stupid phrasing of a reasonable answer). His statement was taken as proof that he was a rude douche who didn't have a clue about foreign relations and should never be president because of it.

Then Obama says something stupid (stupid phrasing of a reasonable answer). And your reaction is to preemptively blame the Republicans?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out how often someone on this board quoted Mitt Romney talking about the Olympics in London, wherein he stated that the issues that London struggled with were issues (stupid phrasing of a reasonable answer). His statement was taken as proof that he was a rude douche who didn't have a clue about foreign relations and should never be president because of it.

Then Obama says something stupid (stupid phrasing of a reasonable answer). And your reaction is to preemptively blame the Republicans?
    Did I ever say anything about Romney talking about the Olympics in London? I'll wait while you find proof I had anything negative to say about that.

If you look at the Transcript, the question was 'Do you consider the current Egyptian Regime an ally?'. But even so, it was a foolish statement to make on his part.
    I'd say it's more "correct" than "foolish".

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 08:13 AM ----------

I don't think it's clear at all that the current Egyptian regime is an "ally" in the sense that people generally use the word. The State Department is referring to it in a strictly technical sense, which doesn't always jibe with general parlance.

Interviewer: Hey, belfpala, do you think the new chef at that restaurant you like is any good?

Belfpala: Well, I haven't been there since he started, so I can't say yes or no.

I don't see the difference. Sure, he should have said "We consider Egypt an ally as we move forward." But then they would have slammed him for that if the Brotherhood BS takes off any more than it has.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

In other news, Kathleen Sebelius violates the Hatch Act, and the consequences are... nothing. FDA employees receive E-mails throughout the campaign season detailing what we are and aren't allowed to do as a result of the Act, yet the head of the HHS can violate the act with absolute impunity. Sebelius is a transparently political hack, not remotely qualified to run the HHS, shouldn't have been hired in the first place, and is now getting away with violating rules that lower employees would be fired for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not at all sure why this is a big deal.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm not at all sure why this is a big deal.
    Because it is an election year.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Because it is an election year.
    I guess I should have added "aside from the obvious."
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I guess I should have added "aside from the obvious."
    The people who post in this thread are exceptional. We're paying attention. When I bring up some of the topics discussed here with real life people, mostly they have absolutely no clue.

That disturbs me. What they do know is so clearly slanted by what few soundbites they've heard.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.