10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    But I'd also say that most candidates for president recently are light on the qualifications side of things. Assuming Obama gets re-elected and Hillary stays Sec. of State, she'd have some serious cred to run for President in 2016.
    I think she's said she won't run again. She'd be somewhat old in 2016 (70 or something I think) as well.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming Obama gets re-elected and Hillary stays Sec. of State, she'd have some serious cred to run for President in 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I think she's said she won't run again. She'd be somewhat old in 2016 (70 or something I think) as well.
    She announced that she's retiring from politics this year. She's going to travel the world and campaign for women's rights. I don't have a link available, but it should be easy enough to google if you want the pudding.

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 06:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    No doubt, and not because he's black. Hands down one of the finest "public servants" in my lifetime. It's a shame he decided not to run.
    Ipso facto strikes again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    She announced that she's retiring from politics this year. She's going to travel the world and campaign for women's rights. I don't have a link available, but it should be easy enough to google if you want the pudding.
    Brett Farve.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

There's some serious concern after oral argument that many of the SC justices don't seem to actually understand the ACA.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...deliberations/

Essentially they're being heard arguing that it could be onerous because it forces people to buy stuff like maternity care, but that's not actually true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There's some serious concern after oral argument that many of the SC justices don't seem to actually understand the ACA.

Essentially they're being heard arguing that it could be onerous because it forces people to buy stuff like maternity care, but that's not actually true.

"Solicitor General Donald Verrilli did not highlight the bronze plan in his defense of the law, an omission that may prove significant.

"Such nuances were seemingly lost before the Supreme Court. One of the lawyers representing the plaintiffs, Michael Carvin, asserted during the arguments that "Congress prohibits anyone over 30 from buying any kind of catastrophic health insurance."

Verrilli did not challenge Carvin's characterization, but it is raising eyebrows among insurance professionals."

Sounds to me like the Solicitor General doesn't understand it himself.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

One reason for not understanding something could be that they haven't spent enough (or any) time reading it.

We should require that all legislation be read before it's voted on, at all levels. Call me crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    One reason for not understanding something could be that they haven't spent enough (or any) time reading it.

We should require that all legislation be read before it's voted on, at all levels. Call me crazy.
    Yeah, but you're talking about crazy complex law. It's not enough just to read it. To explain it would require 3x as many pages as to state it. That's the issue.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but you're talking about crazy complex law. It's not enough just to read it. To explain it would require 3x as many pages as to state it. That's the issue.
    Oh, I understand that. I was mostly taking a generic shot at government officials who vote on legislation without reading it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brett Farve.
    Best reply ever.

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Brett Farve.
    Brett Farve isn't pushing 70.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was still funny.

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Hillary Clinton doesn't play football.

Obama now apparently wants to change the "Buffet Rule" to the "Reagan Rule". /sigh I wish they would stop playing politics with the economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Hillary Clinton doesn't play football.
    I don't think she wants to end up like Reagan or Thurman either. I'm not saying she won't be able to handle it. I'm saying people should cut her some slack and let her retire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Obama now apparently wants to change the "Buffet Rule" to the "Reagan Rule". /sigh I wish they would stop playing politics with the economy.
    Reagan rule would mean 28% top marginal tax rate >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    Politics in the economy is a double edged sword.... a politician is damned if he does anything because ultimately the majority of fiscal policies do nothing in the long run, and damned if he doesn't because not doing something to attempt to deal with a problem while in office is a death sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    We keep voting in politicians, we deserve what we get. Republicans and democrats alike, pleasing their constituents first. It is disheartening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Politics in the economy is a double edged sword.... a politician is damned if he does anything because ultimately the majority of fiscal policies do nothing in the long run, and damned if he doesn't because not doing something to attempt to deal with a problem while in office is a death sentence.

Nah, the real problem is asymetry of interests. Simple put, every single program affects some groups greatly and most people very little. The people who are affected greatly have a great interest in ensuring that the program goes ahead/not ahead, while most people simply don't give a fuck. The art of doing unpopular things is to ensure that not doing it becomes even more unpopular, which often requires a good dose of populism and bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
    Nah, the real problem is asymetry of interests. Simple put, every single program affects some groups greatly and most people very little. The people who are affected greatly have a great interest in ensuring that the program goes ahead/not ahead, while most people simply don't give a fuck. The art of doing unpopular things is to ensure that not doing it becomes even more unpopular, which often requires a good dose of populism and bullshit.
    Whoa dude, you better take your realism and rational thinking somewhere else.

You do make an excellent point though. It and coupled with who actually votes explains the AARP super power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure he was just joking when he said this. Either way, I'd love to see the Buffet Rule go into effect.