Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    I concur.

That shit is pretty textbook.

Though actually, it's only preaching to the choir. It's not quite as good as the old masters.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 02:28 PM ----------

This is going to become like 'The Game' trying not to Godwin the thread while asking you to make sure you know what Godwin's law is.
    atleast someone got the reference!

I concur.

That shit is pretty textbook.

Though actually, it's only preaching to the choir. It's not quite as good as the old masters.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 02:28 PM ----------

This is going to become like 'The Game' trying not to Godwin the thread while asking you to make sure you know what Godwin's law is.
    I know what Godwin's Law is, I just didn't understand exactly how Cattaclysmic meant it could be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'm not endorsing it, exactly. I remember posting a MoveOn.org video a while ago, and it showed young kids talking about taxing Wall Street, a path to citizenship for illegals, all kinds of liberal things. A lot of people in that thread understood that it was propaganda, but they still agreed with some of the things said in the video.
    I'd say calling something inspiring is endorsing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I'd say calling something inspiring is endorsing it...
    Some of the sentiments in the video I completely agreed with. Nothing else I can say.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 03:01 PM ----------

And I'd actually watch it again to point out what, but I'm on a Honda dealership wifi that has Youtube blocked.

I'm not endorsing it, exactly. I remember posting a MoveOn.org video a while ago, and it showed young kids talking about taxing Wall Street, a path to citizenship for illegals, all kinds of liberal things. A lot of people in that thread understood that it was propaganda, but they still agreed with some of the things said in the video.
    Propaganda in it and of itself is not bad... Its when the premise of it is fallacious it becomes bad

Propaganda in it and of itself is not bad... Its when the premise of it is fallacious it becomes bad
    Well obviously the message is up for debate.

Well obviously the message is up for debate.
    Again the message can be that of jesus, but if its built on a fake premise its still bad

Deleted
    Well good rhetoric always requires a tip of the hat. Also hitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Well good rhetoric always requires a tip of the hat. Also hitler.
    You just lost The Game.

Also- Propaganda is dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Again the message can be that of jesus, but if its built on a fake premise its still bad
    The premise and the message are up for debate, then.

10+ Year Old Account
    The premise and the message are up for debate, then.
    I don't think either is really up for debate. The message is all this stuff is bad and the premise is to vote for anyone other than the people we have (Obama).

What I see as the problem is that it's too conspiracy theory/outlandish to convince anyone that could be convinced one way or the other.

The video holds your hand as it leads you down a path, but along the way you keep getting hit in the face with branches. By the time you get to the destination, your face is all fucked up and you're questioning the value of the trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I don't think either is really up for debate. The message is all this stuff is bad and the premise is to vote for anyone other than the people we have (Obama).

What I see as the problem is that it's too conspiracy theory/outlandish to convince anyone that could be convinced one way or the other.

The video holds your hand as it leads you down a path, but along the way you keep getting hit in the face with branches. By the time you get to the destination, your face is all fucked up and you're questioning the value of the trip.
    That's a good way to put it.

But statements like "More fashionable to resent success than to seek it," make my heart swell up.

But statements like "More fashionable to resent success than to seek it," make my heart swell up.
    And I find it insulting to indicate that people aren't seeking success. Some might be, but it is increasingly used as a blanket insult to those who don't subscribe to the conspiratory ramblings that video contained.

10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever tried to seek success, Dacien?

Have you ever tried to go above-and-beyond being a drone for a company? Have you ever gone through the shit of starting up a company and having overprotected institutions against you?

I get Republicans and Democrats mixed up. Is this the Turd Sandwich or Giant Douche thread?

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Have you ever tried to seek success, Dacien?

Have you ever tried to go above-and-beyond being a drone for a company? Have you ever gone through the shit of starting up a company and having overprotected institutions against you?
    Have I ever tried to seek success? Yes, eriseis, yes I have. And I have succeeded. Not wildly, but I have succeeded.

Something I learned is that if you are an employee with no marketable skills among other employees with no marketable skills, you can easily get ahead just by being smarter than the next shlub. This is part of the reason why the poor will almost always be poor. Not only do they have no marketable skills, but many of them lack what it takes to get ahead with that handicap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something I learned is that if you are an employee with no marketable skills among other employees with no marketable skills, you can easily get ahead just by being smarter than the next shlub. This is part of the reason why the poor will almost always be poor. Not only do they have no marketable skills, but many of them lack what it takes to get ahead with that handicap.
    I didn't define being an employee for anyone as successful.

At any rate, do you think the poor do not have skills out of their own volition, or do you think external circumstances keep them poor?

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    I didn't define being an employee for anyone as successful.

At any rate, do you think the poor do not have skills out of their own volition, or do you think external circumstances keep them poor?
    He has often mentioned that government handouts keep people poor and that they should be removed - i guess that if you remove it then suddenly those who cant make it will die off and those who try to steal are locked in the overcrowded prisons but those left will atleast be motivated amirite!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    It's a conservative mindset, and a justified one.

Many conservatives, I would guess Dacien too, recognize that there are distinct differences in society, and people in general, and that it is acceptable and "correct" for that to be so.

Liberals, on the other hand, feel that these differences should be subtle, and not effect the outcome of their lives or their impact on society any more than another person.

Both are valid lines of thinking.

Just my opinion.
    How dare you think both sides have valid opinions worth considering.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    It's a conservative mindset, and a justified one.

Many conservatives, I would guess Dacien too, recognize that there are distinct differences in society, and people in general, and that it is acceptable and "correct" for that to be so.

Liberals, on the other hand, feel that these differences should be subtle, and not effect the outcome of their lives or their impact on society any more than another person.

Both are valid lines of thinking.

Just my opinion.

I just fail to see why the conservative view goes all the way to claiming the poor are lazy or even deserving of their own poverty.