Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What kind of machine..

...is required to run this game on 1920x1200 ultra settings@constant 60fps?

Just want to have a general idea

Probably something like this:

i5 2500k (overclock it to 4Ghz or more, easily doable on air)
    8GB DDR3 memory
    Nvidia GTX 570 or 580, preferably one that is factory overclocked

That oughta do it. You might still get lower frame rates during invasions tho, those get hectic as hell. Maybe Azuri can offer some input, he plays with a GTX 580 as I understand it.

Deleted
    Constant 60 fps is pretty much impossible.
    Either than that, the one that Tarien posted will handle the game fine on ultra settings.
    Im using AMD 6970 gpu and a AMD x6 1090t cpu, playing on ultra with supersampling.
    Depending on the situation my fps is between ~20-60(vsync on). For a MMORPG that's enough, atleast for me.

Deleted
    I play with an i5 2500k running at 4ghz, 8GB Ram and a GTX 560ti and with everything maxed out i get around 35fps. If I lower the shadows then it averages around 40-43. Invasions cut the fps a bit but it never drops to anything unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Heallygood View Post
    I play with an i5 2500k running at 4ghz, 8GB Ram and a GTX 560ti and with everything maxed out i get around 35fps. If I lower the shadows then it averages around 40-43. Invasions cut the fps a bit but it never drops to anything unplayable.
    whoa

I know 560ti is hardly highend but still that's like, worse than crysis...

Rift's graphics engine is... not the best. Kinda poorly optimized. I run at about 40+ FPS with max everything. It looks good but is kinda sluggish for the gfx quality compared to other games. I frequently turn down settings for raids or big invasions because it's just way too much.

They made some tweaks and improvements. But still...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Rift's graphics engine is... not the best. Kinda poorly optimized. I run at about 40+ FPS with max everything. It looks good but is kinda sluggish for the gfx quality compared to other games. I frequently turn down settings for raids or big invasions because it's just way too much.

They made some tweaks and improvements. But still...
    Well the graphics are really awesome for an MMORGP.
    I think the fps is fine, considering how good the graphics really are.
    An MMORGP with loads of people + advanced graphics will be very heavy for every graphics engine / computer.

My mate can play it on a 4 year old laptop with the low quality renderer, so it's not really that demanding if you lower the settings..

Quote Originally Posted by Tippable View Post
    Well the graphics are really awesome for an MMORGP.
    I think the fps is fine, considering how good the graphics really are.
    An MMORGP with loads of people + advanced graphics will be very heavy for every graphics engine / computer.

My mate can play it on a 4 year old laptop with the low quality renderer, so it's not really that demanding if you lower the settings..
    Yea, Rift is pretty smooth for me. I can run it at the highest settings. It looks good, not as good as Tera which runs about the same however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, Rift is pretty smooth for me. I can run it at the highest settings. It looks good, not as good as Tera which runs about the same however.
    Well just because another game is running 'smoother' doesn't mean that Rift's engine is poorly optimized.
    Anyway this is going off topic..

well I presonally do not consider 30 fps smooth at all.

I've been reading the technical support forum and it really worries me that there are people with overlocked i7s and crossfire 6870s that drop to 20 fps in capital cities...

Seems to me that the game is extremely poorly programmed/optimized...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    Seems to me that the game is extremely poorly programmed/optimized...
    Yeah well at least we have regular updates, quick fixes for issues, well balanced PvE, tons of new features being added all the time and a developer that responds quickly to player posts and is actively earning our money.

Seriously, posts like this just look like nit picking for faults. No, it is not the most optimised game ever. But yes, it is very playable and you can always lower your settings

quick fixes for issues
    except this one I guess, eh

I really want to like the game but if it's essentially unplayable unless you can stomach 20fps drops on 2000$ gaming rigs.....

Running a Core i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz with a Radeon 5970 (Dual GPU) card OC'd to 850/1200 with 6 gigs of Corsair XMS DDR3 2000 mhz memory.

I get about 20 FPS in raids, sometimes lower with spell effects.
    I mean, what the hell...

Clearly I meant game bugs not the engine its built on. If you don't like it don't play, simples. I'm only using a 560ti and my performance is fine, and that's at 1080p. 45fps wandering about outdoors, closer to 30fps in Sanctum or during invasions and raids. Everything maxed bar shadows.

People should stop flogging dead horses, especially those that don't affect them and they're only flogging to be a nuisance.

Any Core i5 or better but I would look at the 2500k
    and a GTX 570 or better, also you really want one with the extra RAM it will help with raids and all the extra textures and particle effects there.

The main question that I am asking myself after reading everything so far is why would you need constant 60 fps?

It's possible to get up to 50-60 fps in a low population area. When the effects go off, that is when the fps nosedives.

For whatever reason I don't have to turn settings down for any rifts except water rifts. Which must put a great deal of strain on gfx cards or something because damn... water rifts are like 20fps at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    The main question that I am asking myself after reading everything so far is why would you need constant 60 fps?
    The better question is why wouldn't you want 60fps constant? It's the performance holy grail of gaming, and as much as I respect Trion, respect doesn't produce better performance from the suck that is the Gamebryo engine. Thankfully, since Trion is nothing short of voracious at supporting Rift, I daresay the engine is the only real Achille's heel of said package.

I have a Dual Core 3.2 Wolfdale with 4gb of ram. I just upgraded to a 560Ti today and I get 35fps in cities absolutely maxed. By that I mean customized beyond ultra. Supersampling on, all sliders maxed. If I run in straight ultra I get 45-50fps. And that is more than smooth enough. Anyone who complains about sub 35fps is delusional imo cause thats PLENTY smooth enough.

Rift is one of the best optimized MMO's out there. Certainly the best optimized of the top MMO's. WoW is terribly optimized for the level of graphics it has (understandable since its a old game). Warhammer and SWTOR both run far worse. AOC runs about the same if not worse.

If GW2 does what it claims it will be better optimized, but thats about it.

Water rift fps or gtfo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    I have a Dual Core 3.2 Wolfdale with 4gb of ram. I just upgraded to a 560Ti today and I get 35fps in cities absolutely maxed. By that I mean customized beyond ultra. Supersampling on, all sliders maxed. If I run in straight ultra I get 45-50fps. And that is more than smooth enough. Anyone who complains about sub 35fps is delusional imo cause thats PLENTY smooth enough.

Rift is one of the best optimized MMO's out there. Certainly the best optimized of the top MMO's. WoW is terribly optimized for the level of graphics it has (understandable since its a old game). Warhammer and SWTOR both run far worse. AOC runs about the same if not worse.

If GW2 does what it claims it will be better optimized, but thats about it.
    I couldn't agree more. People just don't understand how advanced the graphics are in Rift compared to games like wow / swtor.
    Still I tend to get large fps drops in wow / swtor, while the graphics are kinda shitty.
    Of course a game with as good graphics as Rift will demand more from your computer then the others previously mentioned.
    MMOs in general are also very CPU demanding...
    Last edited by mmoc37d8d80d18; 2012-02-16 at 02:13 AM.