Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmoves View Post
    chanterelle soup is lovely to, doesn't matter if it's yellow or other ones, both types taste amazing, i always make sure to stack up on chanterelles, can be used in so many ways and it always taste lovely, and it's actually fun to walk around in the forrest picking it!

Best thing ever.

ahh fungus!

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Its the recipe. If I know how it starts its like: boil the black beans with a couple of ham hocks, remove ham hocks hour(ish) later. Add in the sofrito and let it cook some more, add in some olives I think and let it cook some more, add in pulled ham hock. So its the flavors that make it so. Namely the sofrito.
    Any spices or herbs? I make a white bean soup with almost the same method, minus the olives, plus some bay leaves and thyme. No need to explain sofrito.

@todgruppe: I have no fear of coming up with a main dish. I just find it easier to design around the first course. I'm well versed in most cuisines around the world, so let it all out.

Edit: Missed your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    ahh fungus!
    Yup, it's fantastic, can be used in almost everythin, sauces, pies, stews, on pizza, dry them and use it as a spice etc, the sky is the limit :P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Yup, it's fantastic, can be used in almost everythin, sauces, pies, stews, on pizza, dry them and use it as a spice etc, the sky is the limit :P
    I'm making some phone calls right now... My absolute 100% no doubt without question (did I make it clear enough?) dish is crispy polenta cakes with a pork chop and a mushroom gravy. Seeing if I can get the proper mushrooms...

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm making some phone calls right now... My absolute 100% no doubt without question (did I make it clear enough?) dish is crispy polenta cakes with a pork chop and a mushroom gravy. Seeing if I can get the proper mushrooms...
    /droll

Pass a towel, sounds awesome mate!

A question on the topic of food, how is the general knowledge on things that can be foraged in the wild? Berries, different kind of mushrooms etc?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

A question on the topic of food, how is the general knowledge on things that can be foraged in the wild? Berries, different kind of mushrooms etc?
    I would guess basically zero. There are some places that let you go pick your own berries, but they're farmed, not wild. Wild Mushrooms... I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, unless I had someone with a PhD in Mycology with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would guess basically zero. There are some places that let you go pick your own berries, but they're farmed, not wild. Wild Mushrooms... I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, unless I had someone with a PhD in Mycology with me.
    I had a guy stop at our farm one day and ask if he could pick mushrooms out of our field. My dad let him. Always thought it was kinda odd.

Deffo a cultural difference there then, I've been picking mushrooms etc since I was a little boy.

Deffo a cultural difference there then, I've been picking mushrooms etc since I was a little boy.
    The last time I ate wild mushrooms, I was in Montana. And then the UFOs ripped the sky open like a sheet, and a small mechanical gnome burrowed out of my chest and explained how time is an illusion, all we see is in our minds, therefore the universe is all in our minds. Then I channeled a 3000 year old Chinese monk who taught me to breathe without moving my chest... yeah... that happened (really, I can still do the breathing thing).

So, I'll leave the wild mushrooms to you

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I ate wild mushrooms, I was in Montana. And then the UFOs ripped the sky open like a sheet, and a small mechanical gnome burrowed out of my chest and explained how time is an illusion, all we see is in our minds, therefore the universe is all in our minds. Then I channeled a 3000 year old Chinese monk who taught me to breathe without moving my chest... yeah... that happened (really, I can still do the breathing thing).

I wouldn't pick the mushrooms myself, but wild mushrooms bought from a market when in season is great. As posted above, <3 chanterelles. Great in a mac n cheese.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I wouldn't pick the mushrooms myself, but wild mushrooms bought from a market when in season is great. As posted above, <3 chanterelles. Great in a mac n cheese.
    Oh, absolutely. I don't really consider them "wild" when I get them from my regular distributors. I was just describing what happened the last time I ate mushrooms I picked myself. (The results may have been intentional...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, absolutely. I don't really consider them "wild" when I get them from my regular distributors. I was just describing what happened the last time I ate mushrooms I picked myself. (The results may have been intentional...)
    Oh, I'm sure that's the case .
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Butternut Squash Bisque, or a Cream of Roasted Red Pepper.

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 04:19 AM ----------

Wow, I never met anyone with such vivid mushroom hallucinations before. I did briefly see a gnome once out of the corner of my eye, but mostly everything was in my mind.

I would never eat a mushroom I picked in the wild. Way too many deadly ones, and I don't trust myself to pick the right ones.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Wow, I never met anyone with such vivid mushroom hallucinations before. I did briefly see a gnome once out of the corner of my eye, but mostly everything was in my mind.

I would never eat a mushroom I picked in the wild. Way too many deadly ones, and I don't trust myself to pick the right ones.
    I ate about an ounce of them, I think... We were out in the wild, around a fire, and I staggered a bit then just fell over. I remember a few people standing over me, I said "I'm ok" and then all that other stuff happened. My own words, in my own voice, "I'm ok" kept echoing back to me through the entire thing.

So... US drug policy... correct, or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    I say, regulate and legalize weed.

Here are the following rules:
    1. Heavily taxed
    2. US Military and other employers can still retain a No-Drug policy including marijuana, upto and including the right to terminate employment.
    3. No use in public
    4. No operation of any machinery including cars

But the more dangerous drugs? Keep them illegal.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I say, regulate and legalize weed.

Here are the following rules:
    1. Heavily taxed
    2. US Military and other employers can still retain a No-Drug policy including marijuana, upto and including the right to terminate employment.
    3. No use in public
    4. No operation of any machinery including cars

But the more dangerous drugs? Keep them illegal.
    The only one I disagree with the a point (well except that I would legalize everything) is number 2. For the military sure. The problem is with regular employment. It should be treated like alcohol in that case. No smoking on the job and no coming to work high. What you do in your own free time, when you are not working, is between you and whatever God (or lack thereof) you believe in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    The only one I disagree with the a point (well except that I would legalize everything) is number 2. For the military sure. The problem is with regular employment. It should be treated like alcohol in that case. No smoking on the job and no coming to work high. What you do in your own free time, when you are not working, is between you and whatever God (or lack thereof) you believe in.
    Well what I mean by that is, an employer can be given the right to not allow his employees to use it, for example, if the workers are at a major industrial plant or pilots for an airline. Something that would require one to be sober on the job. Now if the drug is out of the system when the worker is on duty, then it should be fine.

Airlines do this with alcohol. No X% of BAC within I think 8 hours of flying. I don't remember the exact number.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll just need to attract more women to the thread, somehow...

Question for US people (others are free to answer as well, of course): What's your favorite soup? Trying to plan a menu, and I'm too lazy to brainstorm at the moment.
    Even though its probably not the favorite of many, I would probably guess that Chicken Noodle soup is the closest thing we have to a national soup. It's the most popular one anyway that everyone knows in the culture. Gumbo for the southern culture.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-03-03 at 06:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Bah. The awkward moment when people guess above what it actually is; it's roughly 1.8kg. So unhealthy; yet it tastes soooo gooooooddd.
    Is it fudge?

Deleted
    We'll just need to attract more women to the thread, somehow...

Question for US people (others are free to answer as well, of course): What's your favorite soup? Trying to plan a menu, and I'm too lazy to brainstorm at the moment.
    Cullen Skink. Best soup ever, no dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Is it fudge?
    Nah, it's half way between Fudge and Toffee. It's harder than fudge, but more crumbly than toffee. And oh-so-much sweeter.