Poll: Cutscenes, good or bad?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cutscenes, are they really any good?

Hello fellow MMO Champion Star Wars: The Old Republic Fans.

So here is the deal, my Sith Inquisitor is now 41 and by that point I just got sick to death of leveling it. When I first made the character and noticed the amount of cut scenes I actually enjoyed it. I would watch them all and got into the story. The class quests were a mile better than the planet ones, however I'd still watch the planet scenes too.

By the time I got to level 30 however I just couldn't stand watching anything other than the class quests. It seemed like every single planet cut scene was the same and totally pointless. At this point I wish I didn't even need to space bar through it, I would rather be able to click on them and instantly have the quest.

I personally think it would have been better to not have so many. I think the class cut scenes are awesome and should definitely stay however I think the planet ones should all go.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this I have made a poll for those too lazy too though

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I only watch the class dialogue myself. It isn't that I hate to watch others, it is just that the class quests is where the interesting stuff happens. Also, watching all of the dialogue for every quest would make leveling take a lot longer. I just wanted to push to 50 asap.

Deleted
    watch 'em all..so far...

had a nice break since levelling my first 50 doing some empire and endgame, trucking through on my alt to 35 atm and watched them all. A couple of them i probably zone out a little, but im playing dark side as opposed to light side so different answers and outcomes. i anticipate some space baring on my smuggler come 1.2 and the legacy races.

Deleted
    Personally I think the first few levels the cutscenes were great, but like in many mmo's you want to make a few characters first and play around see what the styles are like etc etc. So by the time I got around to my 4th character and the character I had decided to stick with I had already seen so many of the first few planets cutscenes. Even though I enjoy playing my most recent the most (playstyle wise) I'm hating playing her, just because I've got to go through the same old cutscenes all over again.

It's come to the point where, although I've never been a big fan of pvp, I'm pvp'ing just so I don't have to do half the planet quests.

I totally agree that the class quest stories are great though, but i do wish that it was the only the class quests that I had to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I watch them all the first time around, even on alts eh I just like em. Now on dalies or flashpoints that ive done several times, yeah I space bar it.

Deleted
    I don't think the problem is that they are in the game. I think the class quest scenes are epic and extremely interesting, I think the companion scenes are pretty good and I think some planet stories can be interesting (like Revenite for example). I think the problem is just the sheer amount of them. I don't need to watch something to then pick up 10 X from a mob I'd rather just go and do it as very often there is no story involved beforehand.

In an ideal world my choice would be to only have the following scenes
    -Class Quests.
    -Companion Stories.
    -Planet Storyline.

Everything else would go as they don't really (in my opinion at least) add any value to the game or leveling experience.

There's a few basic things I seperate them into:

Class Story
    Companion Story
    Planet Arc Story
    Minor Stories

The planet ones are for instance like the Czerka story line on Tatooine.
    The Minor stories are ones like "help me, I lost my dog".

I generally skip the Minor stories, I listen to everything else, although after the second time I skipped a big number of the planet ones too, but found myself watching more of the minor ones.

Deleted
    I do think Bioware overdid it a little with the cut-scenes.

Especially since you tend to have 2-5 at once every time you enter a new quest hub it can get a little exhausting.

If they hadn't voiced over all the minor side-quests for example I think I'd been a lot more appreciative of the remaining voice-overs. But now I find myself listening to the first 1-2 quests, then getting bored and skipping the others. A shame they decided to sink so much money into such a "1-time enjoyment" feature.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cutscenes, real storytelling, is exactly what I've wanted in an MMO for a long while. And it's clear Blizz has no intention of bringing their story out of books and into the.... GAME!?

Some people hate them, I actually sit through them and contemplate my choice.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Honest opinion is this:

Class quest: Good
    Normal quest: Good
    Daily quest: Gets boring and would be nice to have a option to auto skip these
    Warzones: Also not needed (+ that ride on the bike in voidstar is quite annoying as well since if you join to late you will end up behind the closed barrier just after everybody can go for the first time. I simply dont really see the need for the whole tour arround the place) + the shouting in huttball is also something i would rather see an option for.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Cutscenes, real storytelling, is exactly what I've wanted in an MMO for a long while. And it's clear Blizz has no intention of bringing their story out of books and into the.... GAME!?

Some people hate them, I actually sit through them and contemplate my choice.
    you really didn't play through the cataclysm leveling quests after the revamp, did you? there are cutscenes everywhere

in my opinion, cutscenes are ideal when used right. I remember Aion where they said there were "cutscenes", when most of them were very basic stuff like the camera panning to a quest location or object.
    I like cutscenes when they have something the game engine can't show alone, and swtor does some of that. unfortunelly, it also does the "this cutscene is just a dialog we could have done on the game engine". it's something hard to balance, but in the end it reale of the player, since he is allowed to skip everything anyway
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalx View Post
    you really didn't play through the cataclysm leveling quests after the revamp, did you? there are cutscenes everywhere

in my opinion, cutscenes are ideal when used right. I remember Aion where they said there were "cutscenes", when most of them were very basic stuff like the camera panning to a quest location or object.
    I like cutscenes when they have something the game engine can't show alone, and swtor does some of that. unfortunelly, it also does the "this cutscene is just a dialog we could have done on the game engine". it's something hard to balance, but in the end it reale of the player, since he is allowed to skip everything anyway
    I did. You call having the camera pan out to show you the next questing area a cutscene? That has no story, the only story in Cataclysm was a pair of novels.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I have bunch of alts and I still don't spacebar anything else but the dailies on my 50.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I only watch the class dialogue myself. It isn't that I hate to watch others, it is just that the class quests is where the interesting stuff happens. Also, watching all of the dialogue for every quest would make leveling take a lot longer. I just wanted to push to 50 asap.
    This is what I do too. I watch the class stuff only and skip the other stuff. The Inquisitor stuff is doing a good job of captivating me!

10+ Year Old Account
    I watch everything at least once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    I still don't spacebar anything else but the dailies on my 50.
    This + I usually do it/encourage it during heroic FP's for the sake of finishing them at a decent pace.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

Deleted
    I have my sith warrior at 50 and I do spacebar through the dailies (it's a pain as it sometimes impact my companion's satisfaction so I have to memorize what to spacebar through...) but I'm levelling alts through the same quests i did on my warrior and just watch the cutscenes again.

The different options in the dialogues keep them fresh. The NPCs address you differently whether you're a sith lord or a lowly alien. And it's priceless if you're levelling with a friend, because I remember one time upon arriving to Dromund kaas, the dialogue started with the NPC addressing my friend (sith inquisitor) respectfully then I won the dialogue choice with my rattataki bounty hunter and the NPC went "I was not talking to you, scum" or something along these lines. It was hilarious... There are some part where the dialogue is quite generic but in some places it's completely tailored to the character who's adressing the NPC. It's just great.

Deleted
    i watch them all first time round, second time ill watch the class ones, or ones i like.

I spacebar all day every day. On every toon I have I dont have any idea what the fuck I am doing or why I am doing it. I just go to the Green arrow and kill/collect whatever the quest tells me to.

I wish there was an option to turn off all cutscenes so I dont have to hit spacebar all the damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugfest View Post
    This + I usually do it/encourage it during heroic FP's for the sake of finishing them at a decent pace.
    I've been screamed at in groups for not spacebaring though FP dialogs...I don't care I like them.
    I love how even in the non-story ones that I have to read the music builds to the descision...makes it ffel epic in my opinion.

I've watched Star Wars over 100 times and I still don't fast forward through it...