Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Magicians has been suggested before I know, but I can't recommend it enough. It's brilliant novel that's satisfying from start to finish. The Hobbit, while an entirely different book, is just as satisfying.

If you're looking for something longer and somewhat similar to Harry Potter, I'd personally suggest The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. It's a real great combination of humorous and loveable characters in a magical world from a coming of age boys perspective, and absolutely brilliant in my opinion.

Deleted
    The Dice Player by Luke Rhinehart

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like satire with mix of fantasy, I recently finished reading Johannes Cabal, Necromancer.

It was very funny as well as extremely engaging.
    Last edited by LolretKJ; 2012-02-16 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    I just finished reading the Hungry Games series. Great set of books that I highly recommend.
    Hunger Games series they are excellent books and well keep you enthralled through all 3. They are a little short since there young adult books but i guess since you like Harry Potter you would enjoy this series immensely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    No, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is 'harry potter for adults'.
    Wow, you and I must have read different books. Rothfuss's story is about a boy whose parents die in horrific circumstances and his journey through a life of apprenticeship in everything from music to "magic" (naming) to love. It is written in a richer, more complex prose than Harry Potter.

The Dresden files are set in a deliberately urban environment and are about a middle-aged guy who's a warlock and investigates stuff. The writing style of Butcher is incisive, but not particularly rich or hard for a young teenager to digest.

I really fail to see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    I just finished reading the Hungry Games series. Great set of books that I highly recommend.
    I loved the first book, liked the second, and disliked/borderline hated the third book. The author developed all these great characters throughout the series and then it seemed had no idea how to wrap up their stories in the third book.

I would still recommend the series to one who enjoys reading but would caution them to not buy into all the hype they have been given.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guileone View Post
    I loved the first book, liked the second, and disliked/borderline hated the third book. The author developed all these great characters throughout the series and then it seemed had no idea how to wrap up their stories in the third book.

I would still recommend the series to one who enjoys reading but would caution them to not buy into all the hype they have been given.
    the third book took too long to get interested.. the first half seemed to take place in the same room over and over and over

A Song of Ice and Fire is a good suggestion yeah.

And now when we are talking about it, is it true that A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons is not as good as the first threes?

I just finished "Divine Misfortune" by A Lee Martinez. I loved it. He is an excellent author for Scifi/Fantasy comedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're into sci-fi ish books I'd recommend either the Hitchhiker's Guide (has already been suggested but can't ever be suggested enough!), or the Eisenhorn Trilogy by Dan Abnett (it's a Warhammer 40k novel, but even if you're not into wh40k or now nothing about that particular universe it's a really awesome series, easy to read, fast paced but still detailed and with great character building). I also really enjoyed the Virga books by Carl Schroeder, really original concept and well written.

If you're more into fantasy I'd really recommend the Malazan Books of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson if you don't mind a complicated series with tons of characters. Anything from Feist or of course Terry Prachett is also always good (depending on whether you like more serious books or a good laugh )

There's tons of other good books I could recommend but I remember those as really easy getting into and keeping me fascinated from the start right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Malazan. Books. Of. The. Fallen.

There really is no question here, they're the pinnacle of modern fantasy writing.

Lots of good suggestions here already (His Dark Materials, Ender Saga, Hunger Games, SoF&I)

I'd add:

The Artemis Fowl series - It's about the same reading level as Harry Potter, both with child/teenage protagonists. Both dealing with magic (in AF it's more "mystical" stuff, like faeries, goblins, dwarves and stuff). I HIGHLY recommend this series.

The Inheritance Cycle - First book is Eragon (they made a shitty movie out of it a while back...books are way better) - Good old boy and his dragon story

If you're up for a HUGE commitment (14+ books) check out Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" saga...(the last few books have been co-written by Brandon Sanderson, since RJ sadly passed away a year or two ago, but he had COPIOUS amounts of notes/dictations prepared since he knew it was coming, so you can't really tell)

Highly recommend "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher and the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. Those are my two favorite series respectively.

If you enjoy those, I can probably come up with a few more for you to try.

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan is extremely long, but by far the best fantasy saga I have ever read. I started reading last June and am on Book 10 (11 if you count the prequal book).

Deathnote is a manga, but it's a very "wordy" one, and is probably the best manga ever written (imo of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbery View Post
    The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan is extremely long, but by far the best fantasy saga I have ever read. I started reading last June and am on Book 10 (11 if you count the prequal book).
    it's really awesome yes, but I've never been able to finish it, after book 6 things, at times, start getting soooo slow and sluggish it's just rediculous, couldn't stand it after a while and think I had to stop at part 11. Tried rereading the series twice but still haven't been able to get any further :/
    For long commitment I really prefer Malazan Books of the Fallen myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    it's really awesome yes, but I've never been able to finish it, after book 6 things, at times, start getting soooo slow and sluggish it's just rediculous, couldn't stand it after a while and think I had to stop at part 11. Tried rereading the series twice but still haven't been able to get any further :/
    For long commitment I really prefer Malazan Books of the Fallen myself.
    What is this book, and why is it so awesome?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    What is this book, and why is it so awesome?
    It's just generally well written, very good and solid characters, good en unexpected twists, a very solid (and very original) setting and a very good plot throughout the series. Admittedly though, the plot is at times rediculously complicated and hard to follow, some of the books hardly seem connected to one another and things will only fall into place one or several books later, I suppose that might make it less interesting for many people.
    If you don't mind a complicated series, which you'll only really understand after reading it at least twice, with so many characters in it that it makes your head spin at times, it's well worth checking out
    (http://www.stevenerikson.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    It's just generally well written, very good and solid characters, good en unexpected twists, a very solid (and very original) setting and a very good plot throughout the series. Admittedly though, the plot is at times rediculously complicated and hard to follow, some of the books hardly seem connected to one another and things will only fall into place one or several books later, I suppose that might make it less interesting for many people.
    If you don't mind a complicated series, which you'll only really understand after reading it at least twice, with so many characters in it that it makes your head spin at times, it's well worth checking out
    (http://www.stevenerikson.com/)
    Got an army of books waiting for me, so maybe sometime next year I will look into it

Don't really have any book ideas but I have some comic/graphic novel suggestions! Its a nice switch from books when your feeling burnt out on them.

Can't go wrong with The Walking Dead series of graphic novels, very fun read that keeps you wanting more. (I'm sure you heard of this series so no need to explain it)

The New 52 of DC just started not to long ago so you can start at issue 1 of any of your favorite DC heroes and follow them from there. Don't have to feel lost like allot of people do when they jump into a series.

Y: The Last Man series is pretty good. Only read a little of it but I liked what I read. It's about the last male human alive and his struggle with the world only consisting of women. Has a more serious tone to it than how it sounds with my explanation haha.

Thats all I can think of lol just got off of work. Hope it helps you out.