Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Playing GW2 without playing GW?

Hey Folks
    Some sidefacts:
    I'm normally playing WoW in a Progress Guild since the Start of TBC ( Feb. 2007) and I'm tired of it.
    I have been into PvP,Casual- and currently Semi-Hardcore progress raiding (25mGuild Rank ~160 World).
    The upcoming expansion (Mists of Pandaria) can't hype me.

So, i browsed the web and found some gameplay videos of Guildwars2 and I really fall in love with these short movies.
    But as soon as i searched for some more informations I was scared about the big, complex community around this game and around Guildwars(1).
    Do you think it is necessary to play some GW before testing GW2, or can i play wow untill GW2 is released and just switch?

Greetings Paelz

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. They are completely different games.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say they're going to be quite different games; unless you care about lore, I wouldn't play guildwars 1.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I'd say they're going to be quite different games; unless you care about lore, I wouldn't play guildwars 1.
    I agree with this. I've played a bit of Guild Wars 1 and I honestly don't feel the need to "finish" Guild Wars 1 to be able to appreciate number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Or if you like that game style.

Personally, I think GW1 is a good game. Some of my good friends; however, hate it. There are a lot of GW2 fans who didn't care for it.

No need what so ever. You should be able to get into a newly formed guild, or maybe get invited into a former gw1 guild. If a guild is stupid enough not to accept you because you didn't play gw1, then don't bother with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reasons to play Guild Wars 1 at this point are because you're interested enough in the lore that you want to see some of the world's history, settings, etc. in person, or because you want to earn some extra cosmetic rewards in Guild Wars 2 by completing certain things in the previous game. It's certainly not required, and they are very very different games.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    • By playing GW1, you're supporting ANet, pretty much a fan boy thing though.
    • Any character you make on GW1 will have it's name reserved FOR YOU when you make your characters on GW2. For example, this means no one can name their character Rethmar Stokeblaze because I have that name reserved.
    Yeah, okay - Cuchulainn brings up a couple more reasons. So it's definitely not a waste of your time if you want to pick up the first Guild Wars, but it's not a necessity - you'll be able to jump right into GW2 either way.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2012-02-18 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Edited to quote post below me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget what others are saying, there are a lot of reasons to play GW1, here's my list:

• You get these things called "Hall of Monument rewards" for completing content in GW1 and getting titles. These rewards will pass over to your GW2 account as long as your GW1 and GW2 accounts are both on the same NCSoft master account. These rewards will give you titles, cosmetic armor, and pets for all of your GW2 characters.
    • Any character you make on GW1 will have it's name reserved FOR YOU when you make your characters on GW2. For example, this means no one can name their character Rethmar Stokeblaze because I have that name reserved.

GW1 for lore ... it has quite good storytelling. But it's huge time eater if you want to start now.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Forget what others are saying, there are a lot of reasons to play GW1, here's my list:

• You get these things called "Hall of Monument rewards" for completing content in GW1 and getting titles. These rewards will pass over to your GW2 account as long as your GW1 and GW2 accounts are both on the same NCSoft master account. These rewards will give you titles, cosmetic armor, and pets for all of your GW2 characters.
    While I agree completely, the question was whether or not it is NECESSARY. To which the answer would be no, of course not. But I would highly recommend trying it for all the reasons Cuchulainn listed, as well as the excellent storytelling and lore.

Guild wars 1 is not for every one, i however find it to be an awesome game, that gives some nice and cool items for GW2,

And at Rivehn, well that's your opinion, i know loads of people playing GW1 for what it is, a good game (to them).

Deleted
    As has already been said, GW1 and GW2 are very, very different games. In gameplay, persistant world, DE/quests.. well pretty much everything. I think you can easily switch from WoW to GW2 as it'll be a completely new game for everyone. Every race even starts off with a 5-10 (?) minute tutorial area. You could play GW1 if you either like it, for the lore or for Hall of Monuments (some cosmetic stuff for in GW2). And reading your story made me kind off happy since mine is rather similar, except that I quit some months after cata.

Do you think it is necessary to play some GW before testing GW2, or can i play wow untill GW2 is released and just switch?
    Totally unneeded to play GW1. The first game(s) are vastly different from the sequel and most other MMOs. It's a harder transition into GW1 from Warcraft than Warcraft to GW2.

That said, GW1 is still good but a very esoteric game(s). If you can wrap your head around the atypical concepts of the first game(s)- they can be a great diversion.

Personally, I say don't cancel your WoW sub. GW1 and the sequel are designed for casual play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive been wondering this myself, probably just gonna read the lore though.

Deleted
    Very valid points being made here. I want to add my name to the list of people who find the world and it's inhabitants, from elder dragons to the most insignificant critter, completely captivating. If you have a moment to spare I'd recommend you read some pages over at the GW2 wiki. It doesn't have to be entire summaries or even according to timelines, just pick the entries that catch your interest.

Deleted
    The only this those games share is lore and a name. If you're intersted enough in the lore i'm pretty sure there are books to read.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paelz View Post
    Hey Folks
    Some sidefacts:
    I'm normally playing WoW in a Progress Guild since the Start of TBC ( Feb. 2007) and I'm tired of it.
    I have been into PvP,Casual- and currently Semi-Hardcore progress raiding (25mGuild Rank ~160 World).
    The upcoming expansion (Mists of Pandaria) can't hype me.

So, i browsed the web and found some gameplay videos of Guildwars2 and I really fall in love with these short movies.
    But as soon as i searched for some more informations I was scared about the big, complex community around this game and around Guildwars(1).

Greetings Paelz
    Did you feel required to play Warcraft 1-3 to play World of Warcraft? If no, then no to your question aswell. It's really the same principle. Also games aren't made so you are required to play the previous one. That is what we have Expansions for. If Guild Wars 2 was an expansion to Guild Wars 1 then yes, you would be required to play Guild Wars 1 in one way or another. But since it isn't you can feel free to start with Guild Wars 2 directly without any negative side to it. In all seriousness it would be really strange to have played the previous game. For example reading a book doesn't spoil where everything is from until you learned it. So playing Guild Wars 1 is kind of a spoiler to Guild Wars 2 since you already learned most of the stuff and why they are happening.

I didn't enjoy the pair of hours I spent in GW very much, but some might. Maybe if I played it together with someone?

Deleted
    to be fair playing gw2 without ever finishing 1 is just asking for insults. it's like watching dark knight and going "holy shit this is amazing I'm the number one fan of batman" and not even knowing there's another movie in the trilogy before the dark knight. on the internet you'd be called a newfag.

I wasn't a big fan of GW1 the little bit I tried of it, but I couldn't be more excited for GW2. They're pretty different games. If it's mostly the lore you want, give the wiki a read.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sthings View Post
    to be fair playing gw2 without ever finishing 1 is just asking for insults. it's like watching dark knight and going "holy shit this is amazing I'm the number one fan of batman" and not even knowing there's another movie in the trilogy before the dark knight. on the internet you'd be called a newfag.
    I'm pretty sure you're the only one who's insulting anybody in this thread, and it isn't really welcome.