Thread: Persona 5 Royal

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Persona 5 Royal

Sorry if there is a thread on this, couldn't see one. Anyone got it? I just finished the first palace, not a huge amount different right now but I have to say this game came at the right time, brilliant way to spend lockdown. Forgot how much I enjoyed the game, I look forward to seeing how the additional content pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Not the same game. In fact in total P5R probably has more unique content added to it then your average entire game does. It also significantly changes the story and canon so that isn't the same either lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im only halfway through the first palace cause im trying not to get too much into it yet cause im trying to get through ai somnium, re3 and waiting for ff7

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not the same game. In fact in total P5R probably has more unique content added to it then your average entire game does. It also significantly changes the story and canon so that isn't the same either lol.
    When I realised that your P5 save file can't carry over into it I got that it wasn't just minor changes to it. Your post makes me really intrigued now to see all of the changes. Heck, just the redone intro mission part left me hella intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    When I realised that your P5 save file can't carry over into it I got that it wasn't just minor changes to it. Your post makes me really intrigued now to see all of the changes. Heck, just the redone intro mission part left me hella intrigued.
    It really is a master class in how to remake a game without just *herp derr better gfx*. Golden was already incredible at what it did to P4 but Royal does even more then that to P5. Let's just say there are really good reasons P5R is reviewing better then the original did(which wasn't a slouch in reviews at all).

I decided to use a walkthrough in order to max skills and social stats in one playthrough. Don't normally do this (on P5 I just did it over 2 playthroughs). Thankfully the walkthrough is fairly non spoilery, it just says on this day/time do these things/pick these options, doesn't actually go into plot, refers to confidants by their arcana instead of character name. Then on my second playthrough I will do it my own way at my own pace.

I decided to use a walkthrough in order to max skills and social stats in one playthrough. Don't normally do this (on P5 I just did it over 2 playthroughs). Thankfully the walkthrough is fairly non spoilery, it just says on this day/time do these things/pick these options, doesn't actually go into plot, refers to confidants by their arcana instead of character name. Then on my second playthrough I will do it my own way at my own pace.
    Honestly its pretty easy to max everything as it is without a guide. It was easy in vanilla with the help of fortune teller, it's even easier in Royal since you can level social stats almost every night at leblanc even if it was a forced sleep night in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Honestly its pretty easy to max everything as it is without a guide. It was easy in vanilla with the help of fortune teller, it's even easier in Royal since you can level social stats almost every night at leblanc even if it was a forced sleep night in vanilla.
    even the social links themselves. Got an event where i got 3 points for 3 each and i don't think it'll be the last

Yea I am noticing how much you get from social links, almost every interaction I have had with a confidant has resulted in a rank gain.

They actually reduced the amount of points you can get from answers during the original confidant rank(most 3 pointers changed to 2), but you end up getting more in the end if you answer the additional royal scenes correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm having problems in the fight with Yaldabaoth . I'm pretty overleveled and sometime through the fight I always end up one-shotting myself. Does he have some sort of reflect ability, and if so, what triggers it?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So I'm having problems in the fight with Yaldabaoth . I'm pretty overleveled and sometime through the fight I always end up one-shotting myself. Does he have some sort of reflect ability, and if so, what triggers it?
    I don't think he reflects anything but his adds certainly do. Mainly going off vanilla game knowledge so could be wrong though. In Royal I literally 2 turned the dude since the game throw so much xp and money at you on merciless and gives everyone charge/concentrate(hell they even let you get debilitate on another party member so you don't waste a turn on Joker for it) he was dead before he did anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame, it felt good to concentrate and AoE all his arms down in one shot. Guess I'll just tank it and single-target through it, I got the stats for sure. Ty @Tech614

I heard that they had nerfed the mementos confusion money trick, was initially a little irked, but went into mementos to do some requests and just charged enemies, having increased the money drops, spent maybe an hour doing that, getting around 600k, pretty decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just money in general is even EASIER to get now, if anything. Especially with Ryuji's perk to skip low-level battles. I would just run around the lowest levels of Mementos until I got a Velvet Room alarm, then go power up my Persona till I got a fusion accident. Wash, rinse, repeat. Millions of yen, tons of ex, dozens of Persona stats. When Atlas closes a door, they open a window. And that window is named Jose.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and that third semester is looking to be interesting so far.

Light Yagami comes back from the dead and joins the Phantom Thieves to stop Sosuke Aizen from using the Infinite Tsukuyomi sounds legit, can't wait to see where it ends up. Will likely finish tomorrow.

So tempted to read your spoiler, but I won't, I just finished the exams so have a bit to go. Yea, that Ryuji perk makes farming upper mementos a breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    So tempted to read your spoiler, but I won't, I just finished the exams so have a bit to go. Yea, that Ryuji perk makes farming upper mementos a breeze.
    Oh yeah, definetly DON'T read that. I was pretty vague, but it was a bit of a joke that spoils the last palace plotline.

For those who finished the game and are interested on my thoughts on Persona 5R now that I've finished it (and FINISHED IT, I got the platinum without New Game +, A LOT easier than the original game.) Spoiler alert for collapsed section.

Spoiler: 
    I'm kind of conflicted on the final arc. It feels like an anime movie, spectacular as hell and well done in general, but ultimately filler. I mean, and big spoiler warning here, it doesn't matter. It all takes place in an alternate universe and everything resets when it is done. All the new content sprinkled in what the base game covered was nice, and really enhances the experience.

As for the Royal exclusive story, I really loved it. I LOVED the Garden of Eden imagery in the final palace. It was super thematic to the story of the Phantom Thieves. I mean, Joker's ultimate Persona is literally the Devil, and in the end he frees humanity from living as subjects of a paradise and in exchange grants them freedom to live and grow on their own. It's pretty much 1:1 with the story in Genesis and Paradise Lost. Maruki's final Persona was even Adam. (side note, I know his persona wasn't first man Adam, but Adam Kadmon, a sort of Hebrew interpretation of the collective unconsciousness, a very fitting persona for him, but the name fits with the Eden imagery as well, a great double-dip of symbolism.) Kind of makes me wish either Joker or Sumire gained the persona Eve to match it, rather than just the action scene at the end, but that might have been too on-the-nose or just a copy-paste of Satanael blasting Yaldabaoth from the original ending.

I liked the expanding of Akechi's confidant. Keeping up with it kind of changed him from being just another villain into a dark counterpart to Joker. If the Light Yagami parallels with his characters weren't already enough, now it feels like in another universe, they might have been friends. It felt nice to play alongside the REAL Akechi in the final palace, with all his bloodthirsty serial-killer glory on full display. I just wish they carried it over to the other confidants. They expanded the twins a bit, (still no romance option, sadly) and they have some comedic scenes, but poor Sae is just left on the sidelines to get dragged along automatically through the story as before.

Mementos is just...better. Not much to say on it as it was improved in EVERY WAY. If you hated Mementos before, its likely you tolerated it a lot more this time, and if you liked it, you LOVED it now.

Sumire as a character is a nice addition. She fits in well with the rest of the Phantom Thieves, and the plot twist of her character is pretty original and unexpected. Maruki, while basically just a less evil Aizen from Bleach (he even has very similar powers, not just his looks) is a better final villain than Yaldabaoth. Yaldabaoth was a faceless God of Control, who wanted to dominate the world just because. Maruki had a personal reason to do what he did, and rather than control people in a prison he would rather do so in a paradise, making him infinitely more sympathetic.

Yea the platinum is easier in royal because the ng+ stuff was made thieves den awards instead of psn trophies. Getting all thieves den awards on the other hand is considerably harder and more time consuming then platinum in P5 and I basically consider that the 100% for the people that care to go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I barely looked at the Thieves Den. Just kinda popped in, had the introduction, never touched it again. Anyone here who has gone in depth with it care to explain how fun it is?