Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will there be an abundance of Asian-themed armor and weapons in MoP?

From a Rogue standpoint I got fairly excited about fantasizing over Ninja Suits, and weapons, but then I started thinking about it. What if all of the Plate Armor is Samurai or Oriental themed. Would that bother you? For me this game is largely based on the European culture (hence the lack of racial diversity and culture amongst the human race). Having a couple of suits of Samurai armor, or Mage and Priest armor that looks like a Geisha doll might be cool, but if the entire expansion is set this way, I feel like it could be going too FAR!! lol.

I'm looking forward to the change in scenery, not to mention, a lot of Chinese/Japanese theme is in WoW/warcraft already, people just tend to ignore it. The Blademasters of the horde? Samurai. So I can see warriors getting more armor like that and such. While some classes I don't see getting that look, a paladin is generally considered only in European, they might be Samurai as well? Not sure. But sounds fun =)
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

I am looking forward to a change of scenery, though the Asian fantasy genre has a lot of dragons, and I am so sick of dragons...

lol @ danpaladin: dont play skyrim

or, play skyrim and kill them all.

OP: i imagine that the majority of the character outfits will match the current theme of the expansion; for example in cata Tier 11 (BWD/BOT/TofW) the armor was just random dungeon gear that looked sweet on a sheet of paper (opinion is irrelevant to my point), Tier 12 (firelands) was 'fire themed'..., Tier 13 was just random dungeon gear with a mild 'dragon' theme. Priest is sick btw. So likely the gear we'll be getting will A) be constructed to match the instances, or the overall theme, and B) have bigger shoulder models.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wont hate on asian themed armor.

Warriors in samurai type gear. yes please. (yes i realize that samurai is japanese and MOP is more chinese oriented. so sue me.)

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    i wont hate on asian themed armor.

Warriors in samurai type gear. yes please. (yes i realize that samurai is japanese and MOP is more chinese oriented. so sue me.)
    But that style kind of mixes anyhow can't complain that much.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care. Most of the plate gear is always more brutal or evil than I prefer for a Holy Pally. If we don't like it, we can always transmog.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, seeing as we now have transmog, I no longer really have any emotional investments in what future armour sets look like.

If I had to guess an answer to the thread's question though, I'd say yes, there is a high chance of that.

I love the Asian look on things whether it's weapons, scenery or gear so I hope we do and having warriors looking like samurai warriors or rogues looking like ninjas would be sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will probably get that, but as stated above, probably not for every tier and dungeon.

We already heard that a Mantid raid is coming. If the raid will be it's own tier, I wouldn't be suprised to get a mantid themed tierset for most classes, but I think the raid is supposed to be a launch raid.
    Depending on the future tiers, we might get a new troll theme, if a troll raid is coming (well, the Zandalari story has started, let's see how much it will continue in MoP). I could also see another Horde/Alliance specific armor set later on because of the whole Alliance vs. Horde Conflict.

So, I am pretty sure we will see eastern armor sets at one point, most probably at release, but I also think it won't be only those style of sets for the whole expansion.

I am pretty sure we can expect gear that looks like medieval asian armor.

Something like this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Not an 'abundance' per se, there'll be several overarching themes that have to do with the main focus of the expansion, but each tier will still feel different from the former. Look at WOTLK and the different tiers;

VERY much a generalization, but:

T7: Scourge theme, more cartoony
    T8: Titan theme
    T9: Alliance/Horde theme
    T10: Scourge theme, more serious

Basically, 2 tiers that werent 'scourge' themed in the 'scourge' expansion. As an example.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Call me a nooby banana but I want my warrior to have some Dynasty warrior fantastical armor.

Deleted
    I'd imagine they'd not be a tier set, but more the green/blue quality quest reward gear from 85-90. That way Blizzard only has to think of 4 ways with different colours to make the Asian theme, instead of 11 (with their separate colourings for LFR, normal and heroic).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Not an 'abundance' per se, there'll be several overarching themes that have to do with the main focus of the expansion, but each tier will still feel different from the former. Look at WOTLK and the different tiers;

VERY much a generalization, but:

T7: Scourge theme, more cartoony
    T8: Titan theme
    T9: Alliance/Horde theme
    T10: Scourge theme, more serious

Basically, 2 tiers that werent 'scourge' themed in the 'scourge' expansion. As an example.
    T7 was T3 but with some changed colours

10+ Year Old Account
    Being able to make a samurai or monk class with spec and gear would be awesome, beyond words.

We already have ninja (rogues) How hard could it be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snocka View Post
    T7 was T3 but with some changed colours
    I'm currently wearing Tier3 as my transmog. :| So, uh.. yes. I am well aware.

Tier3 came from Naxxramas too. So yes, it was Scourge themed. Warrior's skulls theme, Hunter's nerubian theme, Rogue's skeletal theme, etc... Scourge theme, just from level 60 Naxxramas. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    I hope what we get is: bit asian styled tier, not too focused though.
    A horde vs alliance tier
    A Troll/loa tier if we get a zandalari raid
    An old god tier? Sha related stuff? would be badass to have a armor set with black smoke covering most of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    more than likely. im pretty sure we'll also see asian themed mounts. id bet the farm we'll see reskinned versons of the blizz store mount that ppl are buying.