Poll: Which Race Do You Prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    To all Thief lovers http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/cbt3...-pvp-part-deux Apparently You going to be really hard to kill in pvp Dat teleport is nasty.

Deleted
    Can't I get the option to vote for all of them? I wanna play all of them!
    Mainly tied between norn or charr.

Deleted
    My choice isn't there, but i now know they once existed, so ill still say it.

DWARF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    My choice isn't there, but i now know they once existed, so ill still say it.

DWARF
    Well, dwarves do exist in GW universe, they may pop up eventually. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Well, dwarves do exist in GW universe, they may pop up eventually. :P
    as i said, they did exist, so i still hold hope !

Deleted
    Norn, Jormag's tooth, Legendary /Magical Weapon - need not say more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    To all Thief lovers http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/cbt3...-pvp-part-deux Apparently You going to be really hard to kill in pvp Dat teleport is nasty.
    Wow, Shadow Refuge is larger than I thought. Is that Downed 2 still around? :O

Cause it looks sexy. I'm still hoping to see somebody with the trait that applies stealth when rezzing somebody. I wanna stealth-rez!

Question though: Why is this in the race thread and not in thief discussion, or the video thread?! O_O
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-13 at 10:49 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Wow, Shadow Refuge is larger than I thought. Is that Downed 2 still around? :O

Cause it looks sexy. I'm still hoping to see somebody with the trait that applies stealth when rezzing somebody. I wanna stealth-rez!

Question though: Why is this in the race thread and not in thief discussion, or the video thread?! O_O
    Its in here becouse i posted in the wrong thread, its something that happens sometimes, and i cant be bothered to fix it and for your questions, i dont have the answers, im sure someone do know tho

Charr, been wanting to play that race for a while.

I must say that I really like the Sylvari lore though. It is really well designed and thought up. My second favorite race.

Humans are easily my least favorite race.

Sylv... no...

Hu... lol no...

As... *blank eyes*... no...

N... U MAD?...

Charr???? hm... hm...hm... No.
    Can't decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Sylv... no...

Hu... lol no...

As... *blank eyes*... no...

N... U MAD?...

Charr???? hm... hm...hm... No.
    Can't decide.
    Get a 10-sided die, and have each race applied to 2 numbers?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    as i said, they did exist, so i still hold hope !
    Oh durr, I didn't see you saying that lol my bad. I myself am hoping they pop out somewhere too. As well as the tengu, which I've seen that they are indeed in the game.

Get a 10-sided die, and have each race applied to 2 numbers?
    I had sworn to myself that I would roll Asura, because I always avoided playing gnome-like characters. I also swore to myself that I will NOT roll Sylvari, elven-like again. Defuq... cannot decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I had sworn to myself that I would roll Asura, because I always avoided playing gnome-like characters.
    Woah woah woah woah WOAH!

Hold your horses there pal. The only similarities between Asura and Gnomes is that they're both genius midget races. Everything else is completely different. The gnomes aren't taken seriously because they're not meant to be taken seriously, not even by gnomes. Asura definitely need to be taken seriously, and they're meant to be a serious race, not a joke. Asura are more like gremlins than gnomes!

I also swore to myself that I will NOT roll Sylvari, elven-like again. Defuq... cannot decide.
    Sylvari aren't elven-like... they're not like anything. They're Sylvari, and nothing else! >(

Deleted
    Sylvari aren't elven-like... they're not like anything. They're Sylvari, and nothing else! >(
    Holy **** someone has been brainwashed by what Anet says there is actually a creature in lineage2 that almost exactly look like the sylvari, its just not a playable race in lineage2 theyr called dryads, http://l2ru.info/images/mobs/terr_mon_13.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy **** someone has been brainwashed by what Anet says there is actually a creature in lineage2 that almost exactly look like the sylvari, its just not a playable race in lineage2 theyr called dryads, http://l2ru.info/images/mobs/terr_mon_13.jpg
    Dryads are a very old (Greek) concept, but I don't consider them similar to Sylvari at all. A dryad is simply a tree nymph, which are essentially female deities associated with forms of nature. They certainly weren't considered to be "people made of plants" the way Sylvari are.

Different from gods, nymphs are generally regarded as divine spirits who animate nature, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young nubile maidens who love to dance and sing; their amorous freedom sets them apart from the restricted and chaste wives and daughters of the Greek polis. They are believed to dwell in mountains and groves, by springs and rivers, and also in trees and in valleys and cool grottoes.
    It could be argued that Sylvari were inspired by the concept of nymphs (sylvari do seem to be extremely "amorous" after all), but ANet already showed their entire conceptual process. They were, yes, trying to come up with a "magical race like elves" but were trying to specifically avoid having elves and come up with something new... so they basically started with "What about magical plant people?"

Sylvari are simply Sylvari - plant people. Heck, they're about as far from elves as you can get, considering how they're young and naive, knowing nearly nothing about the world, whereas the elves typically knew everything.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-14 at 12:29 AM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I want to play all but human. In a game I like to get out of real life as far as possible. So I enjoy being not human.
    This leaves me with Norn, Charr, Sylvari and Asura.
    Norn (warrior), because theyre big and vikings
    Charr (thief), because they can look like cats
    Sylvari (ranger), because they feel like the mystical race, naturestuff.
    Asura, (elementalist/main) because theyre little with big ears and just simply great.

This leaves me with a choice for the poll. There is still a 5th character spot free. And it's gonna be a Mesmer.
    I think.. I'll like the Asura the most. Little people bringin pain with magic!

Voting Asura!

Dobby says thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whooptidoo View Post
    I want to play all but human. In a game I like to get out of real life as far as possible. So I enjoy being not human.
    I usually do the same thing, but the humans in GW2 actually managed to intrigue me due to a few simple facts: They're actually not native to Tyria. The gods they worship brought the humans there from... well, somewhere else. As far as Tyria is concerned, humans are aliens. I don't remember which of the races are all native to Tyria, but humans aren't.
    On top of that, the humans in Tyria are actually on the verge of extinction, rather than being the most populous and powerful races of the world. So they're fighting for survival similar to the way the orcs on Azeroth have to fight for survival in a world ruled by humans.
    At this point, while most humans seem to have not lost their faith, they haven't heard from the gods in years. They've practically been abandoned, as far as anybody is concerned.

Deleted
    Dryads are a very old (Greek) concept, but I don't consider them similar to Sylvari at all. A dryad is simply a tree nymph, which are essentially female deities associated with forms of nature. They certainly weren't considered to be "people made of plants" the way Sylvari are.

It could be argued that Sylvari were inspired by the concept of nymphs (sylvari do seem to be extremely "amorous" after all), but ANet already showed their entire conceptual process. They were, yes, trying to come up with a "magical race like elves" but were trying to specifically avoid having elves and come up with something new... so they basically started with "What about magical plant people?"

Sylvari are simply Sylvari - plant people. Heck, they're about as far from elves as you can get, considering how they're young and naive, knowing nearly nothing about the world, whereas the elves typically knew everything.
    I meant by design, nothing else

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant by design, nothing else
    Fair enough, but I would say it's a misconception to see dryads as nothing more than "plant people" :P
    At least WoW had the decency to essentially make them into half-deer nature spirits that are all female.

Like I said, it's certainly possible dryads could have been the inspiration, even sub-consciously, but I consider Sylvari to be like nothing else out there (or at least nothing widely known - everybody knows about elves, or orcs, or dwarves, but plant people are relatively unheard-of). ANet said they tried to google for plant people (and similar phrases) to get a better idea of how to make the Sylvari look, but primarily came up with either monsters, or people dressed-up in plants, rather than being people made of plants. :P
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-14 at 01:08 AM.