Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No way I'm even considering this game now.

It doesn't have to have over the top hype but at least put it in a more positive light when a company employee talks about it.

They don't need to tell us that, their actions speak louder than words.

You guys that are freaking out about this are reading way too much into it. He is just saying that the hype for a sequel that is 11 years after the last game is not going to do any game good. No matter how good or bad it may be, some peoples expectations for the game are over the moon right now. He is just letting those people know that nothing good will come of it. They're not saying the game is gonna be bad, they're saying it won't be the second coming of christ.

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of a time at school, we were getting a new student and everyone hyped it up so much that they were like "THIS GUY HAS SUPER POWERS PEW PEW!" then when he arrived, they were disappointed.

When a company resorts to having a CM make a post about "lowering your expectations" to the game and then begs you to still buy it.

Thats not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Or he says so becouse he knows that to much hype and expectations are never good for any game, and there will never be a game that lives up to what the gamers expects of the game.
    This.

You guys are gonna kill the game before you ever get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    People make death threats to developers of WoW almost every day
    Who are these people? When ? Interesting conversation so please continue but I would love a link to this. Not to derail or belittle your point but if people are in fact doing so over this game...any game for that manner.. i mean wow..im having a hard time believing this.
    Only death my pay for life

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, whatever happened to critical thinking? People take everything at face value these days and seem all the more tools for doing so.

The CM is saying the communities image of Diablo 3 is unreal and they need to come back to reality.

He's not saying the game is bad, he's saying people are feeding the hype train too much fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Toroc View Post
    This.

You guys are gonna kill the game before you ever get it.
    Nah it seems blizzard will do that all on there own.

heres the problem, fans have been waiting 11 years for the game, they say, "It Took them 11 years!! it needs to be AMAZING!!!!!" blizzard has worked on the game hardcore for about half that time, blizzard north started it and virtually no one from that team exists. i am in beta, its a good game, it keeps my attention and its fun, is it the best most amazing game i have ever played? hell no, i dont think a game exists that i can state that about it. you guys have to understand bashiock a bit too, hes a snarky guy, i took his statement for what i assume he ment by it. "our game is really cool, but i swear to god if you over-hype it and then say it sucks compared to your unrealistic expectations i will kill a kitten" anyone who doesnt buy this game and is interested in the dungeon crawler style would be doing themselves a disservice, you would most deff get 60$ worth of entertainment from it, probably more

Under hyping it is the way to go. For example, im a musician and if people ask me how good I am, I say, meh, im ok, blah blah blah. I do this because when they see me play if I am meh to them then I wasnt lying, but if I blow them away they will tell all of their friends and will build hype for me. Perfect. I think its a good way to do things honestly, they underhype their game, people play it, are blown away at the quality and boom, blizzard just made an amazing game and said it was so so. Which makes people wonder how good their next game will be. And if for what ever reason, if the game isnt mind blowingly amazing, hey, they didnt lie to us.

Or maybe the issue isn't quality, but fans getting so over-hyped and settings expectations so artificially high that there is no way whatsoever they will be happy with the product, no matter how great it may be.

SWTOR is getting beat by this too, as have most triple AAA titles in the last few years. If you can be realistic in your expectations, you won't ever be happy. All they are saying is that Diablo 3 won't cure cancer, lower the deficit, feed the starving, or bring about world peace. It will still be a great game, just not a panacea for all the worlds problems.

Begone, tinfoil hats!

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    '

the concept of the game is simple yes, however if people gets overly hyped and it won't live up to their expectations they are gonna frame it as a bad game even if it in reality isnt, it got multiplayer aswell btw so calling it a one-player game is a false statement.
    But honestly, how many of us actually play it multiplayer.... ok retract that, probably alot, but still its a single player game, that requires you to be online all the time.... while some may say its to stop hacking and such, within the first 24-48 hours there probably will be a offline hack, same as there was with CnC 4, another horrible game, curse EA for ruining command and conquer!!!!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

I don't see anything wrong with Bahiok's comment. The consumers of video games are an overall unsophisticated audience w/r/t the medium. Often the root of dismay is bound to hyper inflated expectations in one fashion or another. Cheekiness aside, the spirit of the statement is refreshingly frank in this industry.

The problem is that if players are being told to expect just a good game rather than a huge improvement over the previous ones
    The problem is in fact that blizzard wanted to do a huge improvement while in fact they was very little to change to have a proper sequel (potion spam and identify scrolls) where in fact the biggest concern.

While Jay Wilson (the game director) says :
    One of our other goals is to ensure our game controls and interfaces are easy to use so that players spend their time trying to master game mechanics rather than fighting an interface.
    they introduce the patch 13, with the worst skill UI ever made yet, of any game. I am not joking this is plain bad. While the changes made on how characters learn new skill is great, I cant help but feel it come so late and they dont know what they are doing. Runes do not need to be looted anymore (which is not bad), but now they just pop out of nowhere under a skill when the corresponding level is reached, it makes no sense and add to the feeling the game is a spineless. It does not need much to go from a good to a bad game or the other way around but in the current state and for the past 8 months it is what it is: Spineless.

Let me tell you in short: if the game is out this year it will never ever come near to become a proper sequel of Diablo 2. It will be an other game that is for sure.

swtor had too much hype

now look at it

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraena View Post
    Or maybe the issue isn't quality, but fans getting so over-hyped and settings expectations so artificially high that there is no way whatsoever they will be happy with the product, no matter how great it may be.

SWTOR is getting beat by this too, as have most triple AAA titles in the last few years. If you can be realistic in your expectations, you won't ever be happy. All they are saying is that Diablo 3 won't cure cancer, lower the deficit, feed the starving, or bring about world peace. It will still be a great game, just not a panacea for all the worlds problems.

Begone, tinfoil hats!
    Exactly this. I can't tell you how many games I've ruined by expecting too much, following a game too closely before launch, etc. It made the game not live up to my massive expectations. Lately, I have been completely ignoring any release information, and I've been pleasantly surprised on all of the games that I've gotten (recently). I see no reason to use the logic "X game has been in development for Y time, it must be the best game ever, or it sucks!" mentality. As others have so astutely pointed out, look at DNF. That game certainly benefited from the ridiculous time it had, right?

All they're trying to do is downplay the ridiculous hype I'm sure it has. There's nothing wrong with that. I realize it's a Blizzard game, and with that, likely comes "OMG BLIZZ GAME, BEST EVER". You're setting your hopes up. No game can benefit from that. Just expect to be entertained, and watch how much more you'd enjoy your game, as opposed to expecting a certain quality, aspect, etc of the game.

Not only that, but as Blizzard, people want the game THEIR way, NOW. Which is just sad.

Never seen someone talk about their own game like this before, and im pretty sure every blizzcon that they say this game is gonna be amazing, so if it turns out to be shit, its their fault for hyping.

And really? dont get to excited? if you know your game is not gonna be great, then theres a problem. What if Todd Howard after making morrowind came out and said dont get to excited for Oblivion, or for Skyrim(inb4 "omg morrowind is the best" no its not, shut up". If bashyok really said this, then I might have to wait a while before buying it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dylon Orion View Post
    swtor had too much hype

now look at it
    What about it? I am still playing and loving it, so are many many people.

I don't see anything wrong with high expectations, this isn't the Final Fantasy series thats been riddled with disappointment for over a decade, this is Diablo, a game that has delivered time and time again. I don't see D3 any different, I love the game even in its beta form, I can't wait to play that beast when it goes live.