Thread: farming bosses

farming bosses

so blizzard says bosses give bad loot. i wonder if its actually SHIT items or the chance of items dropping. because how can they make bad items drop?? would they just lower the amount of aflixes and stuff.

yea either way it pisses me off. who wants to just run around in blood moar and farm things in there? nah at least going to the boss gives u something to look foward too while killing enemies. i dont like this new way

I think its interesting. Farming the same boss or bosses gets old very very quickly. Atleast this way I can go to a different area if I get bored.

And while it will be far from impossible to bot this way, I think it will take considerably longer to get a solid bot up and running for this sort of farming.

Pretend that X is 'unique item drop chance.'

D2: Regular mobs = 1X. Bosses 25-100X.

D3: Regular (champion) mobs = 1X. Bosses 5-10X.

See how that would suddenly make farming bosses alone much less appealing? That's their plan. Bosses in D2 were disproportionately powerful in loot drops, so people (almost) never farmed anything but Hell Baal. Now, they are theoretically making it more proportional, so you can farm a much larger variety of stuff and still (ideally) be pretty successful.

There was an highly upvoted proposal on the D3 forums that went something like this..

For every champion/elite mob you kill in Act X the chance of the boss dropping loot slightly increases. This is would be a really good idea because its win-win, you dont just run straight the boss ignoring everything else but you also get to finish a farm run with an exciting boss kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is very good. It means you can farm anywhere, and do different content when you feel like it unlike running Pindleskin 1000 times and having to reset your game every minute. I much like the new way.

It is a great change, a big FU to botting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    It is a great change, a big FU to botting as well.
    ^ This. 10chars

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    You will not be farming bosses. Bosses won't drop the best loot, they won't even drop really great loot. Part of Inferno and our intent with getting people out into the world and hunting and killing lots of different things is putting the best loot on rare and champion packs, and the great thing about rare and champion packs is they have random affixes. They're like a box of chocolates. Murderous, snarling, blood-soaked chocolates. You're not going up against a boss where you know "Build A" is the best way to minmax against it because it has abilities and resistances X, Y, and Z. What is the best build vs. an "Arcane Enchanted, Teleporter, Frozen, Knockback" skeleton pack? Got that figured out? Cause it's not going to be the best against the next pack you come across, and you're going to want to kill that one just as much.
    from: http://www.diablofans.com/news/1105-...sts-wallpaper/

Seems like bosses won't drop good stuff at all. I'm a bit disappointed about that. Killing just bosses get boring, but killing no boss at all does will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Pretend that X is 'unique item drop chance.'

D2: Regular mobs = 1X. Bosses 25-100X.

D3: Regular (champion) mobs = 1X. Bosses 5-10X.

See how that would suddenly make farming bosses alone much less appealing? That's their plan. Bosses in D2 were disproportionately powerful in loot drops, so people (almost) never farmed anything but Hell Baal. Now, they are theoretically making it more proportional, so you can farm a much larger variety of stuff and still (ideally) be pretty successful.
    this is basically what it seams like from the beta, at least from my experience. when killing the skeleton king it seems like it has a higher chance to drop magic or rare items but it doesn't seem like a much higher chance, that said ive had more kills of getting only 1 grey item then anything else.

bosses dont drop good items? thats pretty stupid.. considering they BOSSES.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    It is a great change
    I don't know because I really enjoyed MFing. I'll have to see what they have in store for us in that aspect. The drop rates weren't even that amazing before. My HC MF runs consisted of every single final boss as well as Countess, Pindle and sometimes Nihlathak (though he was scary on HC.)
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    I don't know because I really enjoyed MFing. I'll have to see what they have in store for us in that aspect. The drop rates weren't even that amazing before. My HC MF runs consisted of every single final boss as well as Countess, Pindle and sometimes Nihlathak (though he was scary on HC.)
    You can still MF but it'll be more like pit running. The reality is act bosses are predictable, and always the same. The beauty of random bosses and champions is that they always have random stats making farming more challenging than teleporting to Mephisto and moat glitch killing him with Blizzard.