Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyguy View Post
    Why is everyone addicted to minecraft?

Terrible graphics and not much to do kind of killed it for me
    I really dont see what graphics have to do with it.. The gameplay is awesome, you can build whatever damn well please, anything you imagine. Graphics dont make the gameplay. Honestly I dont get this mentality.. "Graphics is everything"..

It's like Lego, and lots of people like playing with Lego. i don't, so I don't like Minecraft, but see nothing wrong with it at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    What? Monsters aren't a threat at any point in the game.
    -snip-
    Not sure if trolling but here we go...

I guess you're playing on easy then? I used to play with a couple of mates, on hard, and we went cavediving with just a couple of pieces of wood so we could get a couple of torches, and the rest we gotta get in the cave. And the monsters do pose a threat, sure if one would go the chicken way of "IMMA BUILD MAH FORTRESS SO I CAN SIT IN IT AND NEVER BE TOUCHED BY A ZOMBIE", then sure, the monsters will not pose a threat. But to be honest, then you're like the ones who complain that Skyrim is too easy when you stack up pots and whatnot so you get 21412412 billions of damage, ofcourse it gets easy! Explore the world, find the epic mountains, and build a boat and go to the horizon.

And to say that a game got no gameplay just because you don't like the gameplay is just... /facepalm. It's like I'd say "I don't like racing games, they don't have any gameplay", see? If I'd post that on a racing forum, I'd sure get alot of shit for it, and here you are, doing the same thing. People enjoy different things, live with it.

What? Monsters aren't a threat at any point in the game. You can easily LOS skeletons because they have no fucking AI, zombies are NEVER a threat, and creepers are only a threat if you're playing some music from Pandora or Winamp over the game and don't hear their footsteps. I've never been killed by a creeper. Not once, not ever. Why? Because I'm not a fucking moron.

The game ceases to be a threat before the end of the first full day. The monsters don't actively seek you out, can't do ANYTHING about walls or structures, and while zombies can now break down doors... hey, it just means they all have to file into a chokepoint and fight you one by one. Well, they would if they actually sought you out.

You can find diamonds - the highest-grade mineral in the game - in less than an hour of starting a map. You can have a full set of iron armor and an iron sword in less than 30 minutes. Where's the challenge?

What's the point of building a castle with a complex barbican structure and multiple portcullises (portculli?) and a nice, tall wall if there's never any threat of being attacked or any reason to have it? I can make a mud hut with an iron door and be completely and totally safe from any and all monsters; or I can just go to sleep in a bed and avoid them entirely!

Exploring cave systems gets boring because there's no tension. Monsters are never anything more than mildly irritating (certainly never threatening), and it's not like one cave isn't exactly like all the others. Once you've seen one cave, or ravine, or abandoned mineshaft, or stronghold... you've seen all of them. Because there's no actual gameplay.

I've already said what I think Minecraft is and I got banned for it, because it's pretty much true. I won't bother repeating it.
    Again, the game was originally built for those who like to build things. Eventually they added in an adventure pack, but its just that, an addition. The very core of the game is building things, if that doesnt appeal to you, then dont play the game. I just find it absurd for someone to say there is no gameplay in it, you mean theres no gameplay that YOU like.

I dont play minecraft so I can go around adventuring and killing things, I have plenty of other games for that. I play on hard because I like the small chance of getting sneaked up on while building things, thats it. Now I will go out randomly adventuring to mix it up, but my expectations for that part of the game are small because thats not why I bought the game in the first place. I view adventuring as a mini game within minecraft, I guess you seem to think its supposed to be more than that.

If you lack imagination or the desire to build things, then play a different game thats a lot more linear.

I absolutely love the game, used to be addicted but got burned out on it. I still play it from time to time. Obviously they did something right if the game became as popular as it is.

I have to agree that monsters arent much of a hassle in minecraft, once you get your first shelter up, you're pretty safe.

However whenever someones first statement regarding minecraft is "Terrible graphics" you know they're not really interested in anything with worse graphics than Crysis 2 on ultra high, perhaps masturbating to highly pixelated leaves are their way of enjoying the game. Either way it would be up to them however we can say for sure that they're not going to come around on games that prefer gameplay over graphics.

Also if you couldn't find anything to do in minecraft, you weren't trying.

What? Monsters aren't a threat at any point in the game. You can easily LOS skeletons because they have no fucking AI, zombies are NEVER a threat, and creepers are only a threat if you're playing some music from Pandora or Winamp over the game and don't hear their footsteps. I've never been killed by a creeper. Not once, not ever. Why? Because I'm not a fucking moron.
    Please go play a super hostile map. I guarantee you'll die, numerous times because you can't sit in a guarded area if you want to actually accomplish the mission which involves fighting monsters.

As someone else said you most likely play the game on easy because you are completely wrong.

I challenge you to do a super hostile map and complete it without dying and record it since the monsters are so easy as you put it. It'll be fun watching you get smoked in the first 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    I have to agree that monsters arent much of a hassle in minecraft, once you get your first shelter up, you're pretty safe.

However whenever someones first statement regarding minecraft is "Terrible graphics" you know they're not really interested in anything with worse graphics than Crysis 2 on ultra high, perhaps masturbating to highly pixelated leaves are their way of enjoying the game. Either way it would be up to them however we can say for sure that they're not going to come around on games that prefer gameplay over graphics.

Also if you couldn't find anything to do in minecraft, you weren't trying.
    The whole graphic thing annoys me because a quick search shows how many texture packs there are. I personally didnt like the graphics in the beginning so I went through various texture packs and now Im very happy with how the game looks. With all of that aside, I still played the game for a couple of months before looking for a texture pack. Why? Because the game was fun and Ill take a game thats actually fun vs a game that looks nice but plays like crap.

Also as far as being safe in your shelter, only if you understand how the lighting in the game works and where to place your bed. How many of us have placed a bed against a wall to wake up in the middle of the night to a creeper or zombie that wants to say hello? Or when you walk down that hallway that you thought you lit appropriately, again to get greeted by a creeper.

I just hate this idea that people have where minecraft is supposed to be a survival game. Its a building/creative game with a tiny bit of survival added in to give players something else to do.

Anyway like I and others have said, go play on hard and explore random abandoned mine shafts and caves. Make sure to do it without a full diamond set by the way, since the monsters are no threat you shouldnt need armor at all. Of course all of that is irrelevant because according to you, youve never died to a creeper because you can magically hear them coming. Nevermind the fact that they dont make the hissing sound until theyre literally right next to you.
    Last edited by Profish13; 2012-03-11 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've yet to play the game, but I played the Classic version recently and I can see why there's addiction for it. It's like a mini-sims game, only you don't control a family/person's life.

Me personally i never liked it... never took my fancy... but i did like Terraria.... Its the fact of you can build ur own world around u
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Well first, It's just something different.
    And second, it's not blocked while i'm at school on my laptop .
    Don't flame me for sometimes getting on a game during class, BIOLOGY IS BORING DAMNIT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Please go play a super hostile map. I guarantee you'll die, numerous times because you can't sit in a guarded area if you want to actually accomplish the mission which involves fighting monsters.

As someone else said you most likely play the game on easy because you are completely wrong.

I challenge you to do a super hostile map and complete it without dying and record it since the monsters are so easy as you put it. It'll be fun watching you get smoked in the first 5 minutes.
    I play on Hardcore, champ, and with a mod that doubles the amount of damage monsters do and doubles monster HP (and also doubles Skeleton attack speed.) Maybe monsters are a threat if you walk into a cave with just a couple of sticks and a wood pickaxe, but why the fuck would you do that? So you're saying that I have to basically avoid using the tools the game provides if I want to be a challenge? What? I could just go play Serious Sam on Mental difficulty using nothing but the knife if I wanted a game that was ridiculously difficult, and it'd still be more fun.

Now you're saying I need to download a specified map that probably spams monsters constantly in all areas in order to be a challenge? So instead of providing an actual difficulty curve based on player skill, you just throw more and more monsters at them until they either die from the waves of monsters or Minecraft crashes because there are too many entities running around? I can play a lot of games that do that, do it far better than Minecraft ever could... and yet would still be highly dependent on player skill. See: Serious Sam on custom difficulties, Painkiller on maximum difficulty, etc. Shit, I'm pretty sure playing World of Warcraft on the Ironman metagame setting would be harder than anything Minecraft could drum up while still being more reliant on player skill. My only concern with having a bunch of zombies or skeletons or whatever to fight is my sword breaking halfway through, but maybe then the monsters would get a hit or two off on me while I pull a new one out.

In regards to building: Sure, you can build anything you want. As long as it's made of cubes or half-cubes. No actual carpeting, no wallpaper, no sloped pieces, no shingles or tiles for proper roofing, etc. For a game whose apparent entire gameplay is based around building shit, it's strangely missing a LOT of pretty important elements for even basic architecture. Yeah, I know I can get "shingles" and sloped blocks and crap by using custom texture packs or mods... but again, I'm concerned with the vanilla, stock game here, not what all the cool stuff modders keep coming up with. The incredibly stupid fluid physics always bothered me, too.

Also as far as being safe in your shelter, only if you understand how the lighting in the game works and where to place your bed. How many of us have placed a bed against a wall to wake up in the middle of the night to a creeper or zombie that wants to say hello? Or when you walk down that hallway that you thought you lit appropriately, again to get greeted by a creeper.
    I usually put my beds next to windows and my walls are only one block thick. Never been woken up. Hell, sometimes I place a bed in the middle of the open ground with a few torches around and can safely sleep. Understanding how lighting serves to prevent monster spawning might be difficult to understand if you've never played before and never once read a wiki or anything of the sort, but you'd have issues just making a crafting table if you went in without prior knowledge since the game has literally no form of tutorial.

I like how you all assume that I don't explore caves without armor and diamond weapons. How the fuck do you think I get the iron for the armor and the diamonds for the weapons and tools? BY EXPLORING CAVES. On Hardcore. With a mod that doubles monster HP and damage.

And the monsters are still not a threat. Creepers are the biggest fucking joke, I don't know why people keep acting like they're a threat. Skeletons are by far the most dangerous monster in the game, and they're easily handled by building short little pillars and forcing their completely brain-dead AI to run up to you where they can't shoot you effectively.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted

why is everyone addicted to world of warcraft?
    terrible graphics and not much to do.. oh, wait.

for one thing, not everyone is shortsighted enough to think that bad graphics makes a game unplayable, and in any case some of the available texture packs don't look half bad.

as for the "not much to do", it's a sandbox game. want to build the taj mahal, or the eiffel tower? you can do that. want to make a 200metre tall replica of your genitals? you can do that. Want to hoard valuable resources, or explore the randomly generated world? you can do that too. The appeal of minecraft, to me at least, is that everything you build, you have to work for. You get a much higher sense of appreciation for your blocky representation of king's landing if you actually gathered the material yourself, built it yourself, watched it grow from a few foundations to a vast city over time.

that being said, it isn't for everyone, but that's why i enjoy it. I'm not a fan of all the new adventurey things they've added- in my opinion this enchanting, alchemy, killing the end boss and such, all detracts from what minecraft is actually about for me, but other people play for the adventure part.

I had that happen to me a couple of times when I first started, however when I started working on more grand projects I also made damn sure that the lighting blocked out any such events.
    I just hate this idea that people have where minecraft is supposed to be a survival game. Its a building/creative game with a tiny bit of survival added in to give players something else to do.
    It can be played as a survival game, play one of the many survival maps, some of them can be quite interesting on hard
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ostile-series/
    Recommended if you enjoy the challenge.

Anyway like I and others have said, go play on hard and explore random abandoned mine shafts and caves. Make sure to do it without a full diamond set by the way, since the monsters are no threat you shouldnt need armor at all. Of course all of that is irrelevant because according to you, youve never died to a creeper because you can magically hear them coming. Nevermind the fact that they dont make the hissing sound until theyre literally right next to you.
    That is just how you interpretated what I said, I always play on Hard (except when I feel like building something huge ofcourse), I don't normally wear any heavier armor than iron, normally I settle for a iron armor + diamond sword, pick and axe.

I've never once stated I never died from a creeper, it's been a couple of months since the last time tho, where on earth did you get the idea I can hear them coming? A wellbuilt shelter connected to the closest mineshaft will keep you pretty safe and the creepers in the mineshafts won't be able to get to you unless you're completely oblivious of your surroundings.

I have to say tho if I want to adventure I'd much rather go play terraria, if I want to build something I'll definitly stick to minecraft tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    I pity you for disliking a game based on its graphics though.
    ^

Next the OP's going to say Super Mario Brothers, Battletoads, and SMRPG are horrible because they're 8/8-16/16-bit (respectively)

For the record, the "Xbox Generation of Gamers" are generally the ones that hate games automatically for their graphics, so I don't really want to even respond to the OP :/
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    ^

Next the OP's going to say Super Mario Brothers, Battletoads, and SMRPG are horrible because they're 8/8-16/16-bit (respectively)

For the record, the "Xbox Generation of Gamers" are generally the ones that hate games automatically for their graphics, so I don't really want to even respond to the OP :/
    The point about the graphics being bad is that there isn't really any reason for them to be bad. It's not like it's hard to make a 32p or 128p or even 512p texture pack. Minecraft's default textures comfortably fit into the category of "developer graphics" - graphics that are really just cobbled together in a hurry so that progress on the game can continue.

But doesn't Mojang have an artist? Why didn't they include higher-quality textures as options for players? Why do we have to use a mod like OptiFine or a tool like MCPatcher in order to even access textures larger than 16p? Even indie games usually include multiple options for visual settings - it's not like we're expecting Frostbite 2.0-level customizability or power here, but there really isn't much good reasoning for not including at least some basic video settings adjustment tools. It's not like it's not possible for indie games to have a good appearance and aesthetics - hell, nearly all indie games I've bought and played look great.

On the subject, why is Minecraft's coding so fucking bad? My framerate almost triples by using OptiFine, so it's clearly not an issue with Java. Hell, I run WoW at mid-high settings and get better framerates in Dragon Soul than I do with vanilla Minecraft using 16p textures. That's pretty sad.

People cite Minecraft as having sold millions of units. That means Mojang's been making lots of profits - so why hasn't that been funneled into making Minecraft better? Why do I have to be entirely reliant on modders for even basic functionality, let alone content? I mean, christ, OptiFine is almost required to play the game, and modding APIs like ModLoader and Forge are used by almost every single mod... so why aren't these just part of the game? Notch stole mod ideas for some of the content in the game, so it's not like they couldn't just steal the code for these mods and handwave it by crediting the people who developed it.

I'm not saying that Minecraft can't be fun - I enjoy spending an hour or two a few times a week starting a new map and building a house or hotel or ski resort or rail system - but that people are refusing to look at it critically, and compare Minecraft to other games in its price point. Minecraft is basically still in beta right now, especially compared to most other games that are available for the same $25 or so. It just bothers me that so many people are being fucking retarded about it and acting like all of Minecraft's many, many flaws are solely due to viewpoint - it's pretty hard to say that bad coding and lack of content are based on a player's point of view.

EDIT: In regards to the Superhostile maps, I've played a few of them. CTM maps get pretty boring pretty fast but they can be a nice change of pace. The problem is that these maps are user-made and have limits on them - they're basically not Minecraft at all, and I can find better games that go for the "unfair hard" than that.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-03-11 at 12:07 PM.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What's that? Smells like troll.

Anyway, you just kind of described the point. It's easy to play, and you can do anything.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Snipe
    All your points come out to this: There are so many problems with the game, I don't understand why anyone is still playing. Oh, by the way, I still play and have fun with it but you shouldn't!

While you feel the game should have options for better graphics the point is for it to HAVE BAD GRAPHICS. That is the point. Yes, they could easily add the shaders by default and make it look better but they don't. I don't play with any graphics mods, I think it looks fine the way it is. So do many of the people replying to this thread. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the graphics but a lot of people don't like WoW either, has Blizz changed it to cater to them? They sure haven't.

Again we return to the point at hand, the game is supposed to be an 8 bit version of legos where you can build whatever your mind can imagine and the game fulfills on that premise. They added in some combat in case you want an adventure but it's an afterthought. The modders have created mods to change the game by making survival maps like RE, super hostile maps that are extremely difficult. Hell, people have even added machine guns, rocket launchers, etc. The game was not built for this though.

Bottom line, if you have so many other games that you can play that you enjoy better for 25 bucks go play those. You say you still play Minecraft so there must be some draw to it for you. You won't get Mojang to change by posting here first off and second all the points you've brought up are counter to what the game is supposed to actually do.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2012-03-11 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok if you dont know this game was designed to have a classic 8-bit look because, frankly, a lot of the best games came out during the 8-bit era. It does focus on graphics if you look closely enough the design in every single creature and item in the game is superb. Focus on the pixels and their placement rather than the creature as a whole. AND if you cant get past the blockyness of everything then go download a HD texture pack and quit complaining about it. Also if you want to make something want to make something other than just blocks..... either download a mod or (and this is an easier solution) dont stare at it up close. From far enough away all pixely images look HD...... case in point:
    http://www.thatgamerhub.com/wp-conte...ed-d30t82i.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    All your points come out to this: There are so many problems with the game, I don't understand why anyone is still playing. Oh, by the way, I still play and have fun with it but you shouldn't!
    No, they don't. You should work on your reading comprehension, though if English isn't your primary language it's understandable.

I'm saying that the people running around acting like Minecraft is somehow the best game ever because it lets you build a giant dick made out of poorly textured voxels are dumb as hell, because Minecraft has a LOT of flaws. It doesn't mean it's not playable, or that it can't be fun from time to time - hell, even Skyrim's fun in small amounts - but it does mean that Minecraft isn't going to be winning any awards, and the fact that it won so many can only be chalked up to people that can't fucking be objective about the things they enjoy.

While you feel the game should have options for better graphics the point is for it to HAVE BAD GRAPHICS. That is the point. Yes, they could easily add the shaders by default and make it look better but they don't. I don't play with any graphics mods, I think it looks fine the way it is. So do many of the people replying to this thread. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the graphics but a lot of people don't like WoW either, has Blizz changed it to cater to them? They sure haven't.
    The point is for it to have bad graphics? What? Then why doesn't it run at 120fps on my crappy computer and 400fps on a decent computer? I mean, after all, we're talking about a game with "bad graphics", so the least they could do is funnel the money that would have gone into aesthetics into decent programming instead.

Again we return to the point at hand, the game is supposed to be an 8 bit version of legos where you can build whatever your mind can imagine and the game fulfills on that premise. They added in some combat in case you want an adventure but it's an afterthought. The modders have created mods to change the game by making survival maps like RE, super hostile maps that are extremely difficult. Hell, people have even added machine guns, rocket launchers, etc. The game was not built for this though.
    Show me where Notch or Mojang came out and said "we want this game to be like an NES game." Show me that. Otherwise you're pullin junk outta your butt here. To say that you can build "whatever your mind can imagine," is pretty damned generous, too.

And I still wonder why combat was even added if it was just going to be an afterthought. You realize that decent, competent developers don't do that, right? If they were going to add a feature, and it was then decided that the feature did not fit with their game, or that it wasn't turning out well... they leave it on the cutting room floor, right?

Bottom line, if you have so many other games that you can play that you enjoy better for 25 bucks go play those. You say you still play Minecraft so there must be some draw to it for you. You won't get Mojang to change by posting here first off and second all the points you've brought up are counter to what the game is supposed to actually do.
    I don't even want Mojang to do anything at this point because they've repeatedly shown that they don't know what they're doing. Jeb has some good ideas, we'll see if they get implemented. I'm damned glad Notch is hands-off at this point.

Shit, I really think Mojang should just let the modders do the work and then they buy the code and assets from the modders. At least then we'd know we're getting decent programming.