Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I honeslty dont know

15+ Year Old Account
    clearly a troll post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Minecraft requires an imagination to enjoy it, just like any other sandbox game.
    And this is why so many people can't enjoy it, because they completely lack any sort of imagination.

If 'terrible graphics' turn you off from fun games, you must have an EXTREMELY limited range of games you play. One wonders why you even play WoW. I still play DOS games on an old Windows 3.1 laptop ffs. I bet that would drive you insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I play it to explore just like IRL (See my avatar of me in Timbuktu, one of my manny adventures) What i like about it is every map is different you don't know whats around the next corner. I never play alone i usually get my brother to join my server and we have a laugh over skype.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    And this is why so many people can't enjoy it, because they completely lack any sort of imagination.

If 'terrible graphics' turn you off from fun games, you must have an EXTREMELY limited range of games you play. One wonders why you even play WoW. I still play DOS games on an old Windows 3.1 laptop ffs. I bet that would drive you insane.
    The game needing a good imagination to fully enjoy does not provide excuse for providing no actual gameplay.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I always enjoyed playing with lego as a child. These days lego are incredibly expensive and $20 was a cheaper option; and vastly more efficient in terms of sharing my creations with friends. In terms of graphics well yes it's got lower graphical options than say... Mass Effect. They are pretty upfront about that though and with texture packs you can dramatically change the look of the game to satiate your specific tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    I always enjoyed playing with lego as a child. These days lego are incredibly expensive and $20 was a cheaper option; and vastly more efficient in terms of sharing my creations with friends. In terms of graphics well yes it's got lower graphical options than say... Mass Effect. They are pretty upfront about that though and with texture packs you can dramatically change the look of the game to satiate your specific tastes.
    I've never seen anything officially from Mojang about them deliberately aiming for low-end, low-quality graphics. It's possible to have a 16x16 texture set that doesn't look like garbage - you can have highly detailed textures (within limitations, obviously) within those mere 64 pixels. Isabella has a dark, gloomy feel to it; Jolicraft is warm and happy, and Painterly pack is massively customizable to be whatever you want. And all three texture packs have more detail in the same number of pixels than the default Minecraft setting.

Minecraft looks like crap because Mojang did not and still does not have any sort of art direction or aesthetic in mind. I've seen "retro graphics," bandied about, but I've never seen that from Mojang - it's always been from the Notch Defense Force.™ Additionally, "retro graphics" does not necessarily mean "ugly"; there are plenty of games from the NES era and especially SNES era that are absolutely gorgeous within the engine limitations for the time.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The game needing a good imagination to fully enjoy does not provide excuse for providing no actual gameplay.
    The term "Gameplay" is ambiguous to define. (that means your meaning of the term is not the same as others, everyone has a different definition of it)

I find the gameplay in building/crafting/adventuring and simply dicking about with my brother over Skype, if you don't enjoy it then the game is not for you, simple as that really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    The term "Gameplay" is ambiguous to define. (that means your meaning of the term is not the same as others, everyone has a different definition of it)

I find the gameplay in building/crafting/adventuring and simply dicking about with my brother over Skype, if you don't enjoy it then the game is not for you, simple as that really.
    I understand. As I've said before I can occasionally find an hour or two of fun a few times a month in Minecraft, but I don't think that giving the game structure and an advancement scheme would somehow negatively impact the creativity aspects of it. Right now, there is literally no goal in Minecraft, no objective, except maybe go and kill the Ender Dragon (which is tedious, boring, and the only challenge is managing to stay awake.)

Maybe it could be tied to Hardcore mode. Right now there isn't much point to Hardcore mode, I don't think, since it's the same as Survival, just with the added "benefit" of losing that fancy castle you spent 20 hours building because you fat fingered your CTRL key and fell into the lava pit you were making for your outdoor heated swimming pool.

Hardcore mode never made much sense to me given Minecraft's emphasis on spending dozens of hours building and perfecting large structures, cities, rail systems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I understand. As I've said before I can occasionally find an hour or two of fun a few times a month in Minecraft, but I don't think that giving the game structure and an advancement scheme would somehow negatively impact the creativity aspects of it. Right now, there is literally no goal in Minecraft, no objective, except maybe go and kill the Ender Dragon (which is tedious, boring, and the only challenge is managing to stay awake.)

Maybe it could be tied to Hardcore mode. Right now there isn't much point to Hardcore mode, I don't think, since it's the same as Survival, just with the added "benefit" of losing that fancy castle you spent 20 hours building because you fat fingered your CTRL key and fell into the lava pit you were making for your outdoor heated swimming pool.

Hardcore mode never made much sense to me given Minecraft's emphasis on spending dozens of hours building and perfecting large structures, cities, rail systems, etc.
    Oh I do agree after building everything the game has to offer the (fun factor - things to do) part of the game takes a nose dive, which is a shame.

To be honest I’m really surprised no big time developer has attempted to replicate this gameplay type but with better graphics, mechanics, game modes and physics. It also does feel like Minecraft devs simply got rich and lost interest they are missing a golden opportunity to create one of the most innovating games in the last 10 or so years, it could be so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Oh I do agree after building everything the game has to offer the (fun factor - things to do) part of the game takes a nose dive, which is a shame.

To be honest I’m really surprised no big time developer has attempted to replicate this gameplay type but with better graphics, mechanics, game modes and physics. It also does feel like Minecraft devs simply got rich and lost interest they are missing a golden opportunity to create one of the most innovating games in the last 10 or so years, it could be so much better.
    The people working on the game updating it can only work so fast with the staff they've got.

As for the guy saying there is "literally no goal" in the game. You state the current goal in the game in the same exact sentence.

To all those saying they hate the artwork and graphics in the game... Did you know you can install Texture Packs, shaders, water shaders etc etc if you so wish? The modding community is insanely active in Minecraft.

You can (if you want) make the game look fantastic.

Imaginaation! Squidward doesn't have it, and neither do I. However, I do enjoy playing the game and listening to a good metalcore playlist. It's nice to just chill and mine the hell out of all the blocks that look at me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it for a day. Made a nice wooden house and then soon stopped playing and deleted the game. There is very little content as far as playing goes, and just building random stuff is not exactly what I call fun.

The graphics were not an issue to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    The people working on the game updating it can only work so fast with the staff they've got.

As for the guy saying there is "literally no goal" in the game. You state the current goal in the game in the same exact sentence.
    And it's barely something you can call a practical objective. Ghasts are more threatening than that damn dragon. If you want to say that's what the objective is, I'd give Minecraft a failing grade in any sort of unbiased review - if it were any other game, any other developer, people would be throwing eggs at their office windows.

I'm not convinced that Mojang is taking Minecraft seriously. Notch has made his millions. He's made it fairly clear he doesn't much care about Minecraft anymore (and why should he? He made his money already), and Jeb alone cannot possibly keep up with the literally dozens of things that NEED to be done to put Minecraft on an even keel with other indie titles (let alone AAA titles.) The modders are doing a fantastic job, but they're unofficial - this means that one modder's project may not be compatible with another's (Better Than Wolves and any mods which require the Forge modding API are perfect examples of this), which means you're now forced to pick and choose which kinds of content you'd like to add to your game. Want a mod that adds 50 new biomes and fleshes all of the biomes out with more and better-varied plant life? Well, better give up on that idea of using that mod that adds a bunch of new blocks because they're trying to use the same resources.

This is something that could be easily fixed by coming out with official modding APIs.

Minecraft also runs like absolute shit without OptiFine due to sloppy coding. I'm not really sure why Mojang hasn't just bought the code and work from the OptiFine team at this point, like what they did with the Bukkitdev team for SMP. My computer gets about 16-24fps with a vanilla Minecraft install - with OptiFine I'm regularly breaking 80fps or more with 16x16 textures and still maintain a smooth 40fps or more with 128x128 textures. That's an obscene performance difference, to the point that I don't know why you'd call a product "finished" when the code is so poorly optimized. Honestly, with as small as the textures are, Minecraft should really be playable on a fuckin netbook (sure, you'd need to have tiny view distances and stuff due to the weak processor, but I'm pretty sure Minecraft isn't even playable on something that's not a gaming PC without OptiFine.)

I'm also not keen on spending money on a game and giving the money solely to the developers when, honestly, the vast majority of the content belongs to the modders. I'd much rather give Mojang $5 for Minecraft and distribute the other $15 between my must-have modders. I mean, hell, even for the people that just build insane shit in Creative, do you think they do it completely without mods? I suppose it's possible but I have trouble seeing people creating castles or Studio Ghibli setups that consist of BILLIONS of blocks without mods assisting them.

Hell, there are even now mods that Let's Play people use that make recording video smooth and efficient (Minenema.)

Minecraft is an awesome game, you can do whatever you would like

10+ Year Old Account
    It's awesome, there's so many things to do and build

because we can do just anything

Everyone ?

Pure creativity! What's not to be addicting! =p Plus playing with friends helps a ton