Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Just a tip; in PvP, people playing Single Draft and other such modes tend to be a lot nicer than people playing All Pick.
    Is the loot higher ilvl in PvE?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Hey guys,

I know you hear this shit all the time, but I'll drop it anyway. I played a lot of Dota and HoN years ago, but never got into LoL. Now I'd like to start all over again in Dota 2 because of how familiar everything seems to be. 2 Simple questions:
    -How is the matchmaking? Will I be pitted against guys who've been playing this for months, only to get my face smashed after 30 minutes?
    -How is the community (yeah, classic question, I know). I've always tried to stay away from LoL because, among other things, the community was far too passive agressive. Well, not so passive actually. Tolerance for noob mistakes is something I appreciate.

Thanks!
    Matchmaking is good for the most part. If you're a new player, you will be facing other new players. As far as I've understood from my ~800 games, it tries to balance playing experience out as evenly as possibly across the five players on each team.

Due to the easy access of Beta keys, smurfs are a common thing however. I can't tell you how bad it is. I've never played Dota 2 on any account other than the one I started with and back then the invites were so rare/expensive that only the most dedicated had smurfs. It is not my impression that it is out of control or anything, though.

The community is as you would expect. Loud, angry and obnoxious. I'm currently at a level of matchmaking where I have friendly players ~90% of the time, but as I was scaling the ladder, it was definitely rough at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Is the loot higher ilvl in PvE?
    Haha, sorry, I'm just used to saying PvP when it comes to playing against players.

You know some people like them bot games.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    I would very much like you to sound the definition of "a noob".
    New player.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    New player.
    newbie =\= noob.

Deleted
    Does someone have a beta key for me and my friend? Would be greatly appreciated

Noob is more of a negative version of new player or newbie.

If newbie is "new player", then noob is "new, bad player".

newbie =\= noob.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob
    Newbie, newb, noob, or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming or Linux use. It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidulgaa View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob
    Newbie, newb, noob, or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming or Linux use. It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.
    wikipedia is not the source of the only truth.
    more than often the term 'noob' is used as an insult, as in 'fething awful'

wikipedia is not the source of the only truth.
    more than often the term 'noob' is used as an insult, as in 'fething awful'
    Yes, thats what the quote says.

Can't seem to open this chest. I guess the key for it isn't available yet?

I read it'll contain items from the Workshop, like the Lotus Chest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidulgaa View Post
    Yes, thats what the quote says.
    Except "newbie" is usually used without negative connotations - they're new to the game, but that's it. "Noobs" tend to be both new to the game and raging, infected dickholes.

The terms aren't interchangeable.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Except "newbie" is usually used without negative connotations - they're new to the game, but that's it. "Noobs" tend to be both new to the game and raging, infected dickholes.

The terms aren't interchangeable.
    the word "noob" was derived from "newb" ...

and being a raging dick has nothing to do with being noob... but with being DICK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    the word "noob" was derived from "newb" ...
    And "fag" used to be a derogatory term for gay people.

The meaning of words changes over time.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Comburo View Post
    I hope Abaddon gets implemented soon, i just loved that heroe. Also he could beat the crap out of pubs, since most players would not pay attention when you should be hitting him and when not, i think
    It looks as if Abaddon will be in the next 6. Skywrath is the most completed, followed by Bristlebog.

Remember to keep checking Cyborgmatt's Unreleased Hero Progress Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Hahahahaha, so lucky that someone told me about rox.KIS

It's beyond me what is Valve's reasoning for "select language" option. I got only english selected and end up in team with 4 russians speaking cyrylic all the time, one of whom picks Drow, goes 0-5 mid vs Puck, other picks Rikimaru, picks Smoke at lvl 12 and the other picks Lina and clicks spells with mouse judging by the reactions. But it gets better. Enemy team has 3 russians that also spam cyrylic on allchat and that makes seven fucking cyrylic spammers in the game, that don't even bother trying communicating with engish cause the only thing they can spit out is "idiot undi retaret" at me as Undying.

So not only is the option completely worthless, the system also throws me 4 complete dirtbags cause somehow I managed to climb above 50% winrate and my MMR indicates I can make do with what I'm given.

Sorry for complaining like a little bitch but I can't fucking stand it.
    Last edited by Grimsdott; 2013-02-23 at 07:58 PM.

credits: Supernerd

-How is the matchmaking? Will I be pitted against guys who've been playing this for months, only to get my face smashed after 30 minutes?
    Contrary to popular belief, the MMR system works pretty well outside of high-rated players queuing with their low-rated friends (in which case these people are often at a disadvantage).

-How is the community (yeah, classic question, I know). I've always tried to stay away from LoL because, among other things, the community was far too passive agressive. Well, not so passive actually. Tolerance for noob mistakes is something I appreciate.
    As you climb in rating, the community gets better. I am not sure when the last time I was flamed (or even wrongfully criticized, really) in a public game. People typing "this <hero>" or "report <hero>/<colour> plz hes retarded" in all chat is a lot more common, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the MMR system works pretty well outside of high-rated players queuing with their low-rated friends (in which case these people are often at a disadvantage).
    I can support this statement. Did some games with a friend who has played far less than me. Got at least two extremely bad/new players on my team in both games while the enemy team had all seemingly decent players.

Moral of the story: Don't queue together in PvP if you're far apart in MMR/levels, unless you're enough people to make your team not suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsdott View Post
    It's beyond me what is Valve's reasoning for "select language" option. I got only english selected and end up in team with 4 russians speaking cyrylic all the time, one of whom picks Drow, goes 0-5 mid vs Puck, other picks Rikimaru, picks Smoke at lvl 12 and the other picks Lina and clicks spells with mouse judging by the reactions. But it gets better. Enemy team has 3 russians that also spam cyrylic on allchat and that makes seven fucking cyrylic spammers in the game, that don't even bother trying communicating with engish cause the only thing they can spit out is "idiot undi retaret" at me as Undying.

So not only is the option completely worthless, the system also throws me 4 complete dirtbags cause somehow I managed to climb above 50% winrate and my MMR indicates I can make do with what I'm given.

Sorry for complaining like a little bitch but I can't fucking stand it.
    It doesn't work if the Russians also select English in order to get faster queues.