Deleted
    Hey.
    My ASUS Strix 970 run 50/60 Celsius idle - is this normal? on full load is average 67

I'm not sure, though mine runs at 29c at idle and in the 40s at load. Mine is a Gigabyte Windforce one.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by BANE4G View Post
    Hey.
    My ASUS Strix 970 run 50/60 Celsius idle - is this normal? on full load is average 67
    In difference to the Gigabyte one, the fan doesn't run on idle. So it is completely passive. It's normal.

Deleted
    made an impulse buy on a 1440p monitor, I like it, but do i LOVE it? Honestly I'm not sure if i can tell if there's a big difference coming from 1920x1200 other than the 27" vs 24". Maybe i should have bought a korean monitor on ebay for less $$..

Quote Originally Posted by dkimxd View Post
    made an impulse buy on a 1440p monitor, I like it, but do i LOVE it? Honestly I'm not sure if i can tell if there's a big difference coming from 1920x1200 other than the 27" vs 24". Maybe i should have bought a korean monitor on ebay for less $$..
    For me the biggest thing about the 1440p monitors is the desktop real estate. I don't think they enhance gaming very much what with your AA and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Motherfucking 30 minutes spent trying to take a technician through the process of setting up his laptop static IP address, pinging default gateway, doing a traceroute to the web, etc and then another 15 mins trying to tell him how to copy the ping/traceroute results from command prompt.

That was supposed to be the easiest and last part of the mini-project. And these are supposed to be qualified site technicians.

Meanwhile project coordinator and site manager both constantly ringing me for what's taking so long. I was so close to telling them to fuck off and ring the tech instead "well you're the network guy, just get it done". Well fuck you mister coordinator and manager getting paid 3x more than me, how about you come here and do this -_-

/endrant
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-11-06 at 09:45 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Motherfucking 30 minutes spent trying to take a technician through the process of setting up his laptop static IP address, pinging default gateway, doing a traceroute to the web, etc and then another 15 mins trying to tell him how to copy the ping/traceroute results from command prompt.

That was supposed to be the easiest and last part of the mini-project. And these are supposed to be qualified site technicians.

Meanwhile project coordinator and site manager both constantly ringing me for what's taking so long. I was so close to telling them to fuck off and ring the tech instead "well you're the network guy, just get it done". Well fuck you mister coordinator and manager getting paid 3x more than me, how about you come here and do this -_-

/endrant
    Fuck I could do that in 5. I think I should try to be a 'technician', sounds pretty easy.

Whelp my Naga broke, think I am going to see if I can pick one up on Black Friday.

I know a guy who wants a computer built. I built my own computer so I think I could do it. He does not want anything fancy, he just wants one to be able to use word documents, he sells some dogs or something and keeps records or something(he mentioned that it was slowing down his laptop). So it should be pretty easy build I think.

But I have never built a computer for anyone before, anything I should look out for? Any you guys have any experience in this matter?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only problem with being a technician, is they expect you to know shit that was obsolete a decade or two ago, because you know, logic! Since there's GOTTA BE AT LEAST 1 PERSON OUT THERE STILL USING WINDOWS 3!
    Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I was learning stuff in some of my classes that went back to the 90s.

Like, if someone brings me a computer this fucking old, I'll build them a new one or advise them on where to get one for free. (They still pay for parts.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I know this is computer related but want to ask about a tv since most guys here are familiar with that. Anyway my father is looking for a ~40" tv, needs to have digital receiver and if it has lan/wifi to play movies from his pc will be an added bonus. Budget is up to 500euros, i googled - did alot of research and to be honest got kinda lost with all those smart tv's out here which i am not even sure if he needs any of those features. What you guys reckon?

Deleted
    Hey, just got my new system parts since I've moved to Denmark. Assembled everything and noticed a strange constant noise and had no idea where it was coming from. Installed all the drivers and so on and ran unigine heaven to test my Zotac GTX 970, and sadly i think this is coil whine, cause under gpu load the sound coming from the case changes.. Sad day.
    I've read it disappears after weeks use? Is it true? Seems like a really case by case situation :/ Kinda don't want to rma it back, since wow is right there with the launch and I kinda need it to play. But good thing is, rest of the system is perfect!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Roughly 80% of my day-job is spent in software that dates back to the 90s. They've had updates and revisions, but the core features and the bulk of the user-facing parts have been stable for a couple of decades. At home I use some modern software (e.g., Windows + Video Games and Premiere) but the stuff I actually interact with - sending keystrokes and mouse clicks to - is "old stuff".

If the software is good enough to still be in semi-popular use after 20 years without significant changes to the UX then it was probably thought out pretty well. There are exceptions (CVS, I'm looking at you), but a lot of the good stuff is just re-writes or enhancements of things that were first set out just after the moon landing. It might take a few months to get adjusted, but I could be productive doing roughly the same thing I do now, without big changes to my workflow, in the late mid-1970s.
    Yeah, you see I'd be fine with 90s software... but so much of my time in those classes we were learning about 90s HARDware. >_<

Like... WHY?!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    Hey, just got my new system parts since I've moved to Denmark. Assembled everything and noticed a strange constant noise and had no idea where it was coming from. Installed all the drivers and so on and ran unigine heaven to test my Zotac GTX 970, and sadly i think this is coil whine, cause under gpu load the sound coming from the case changes.. Sad day.
    I've read it disappears after weeks use? Is it true? Seems like a really case by case situation :/ Kinda don't want to rma it back, since wow is right there with the launch and I kinda need it to play. But good thing is, rest of the system is perfect!
    I have never heard of a coil noise issue disappearing by time. If anything, a certain combination of psu/mobo/GPU creates more or less noise, so people having it disappear might have been changing hardware. I hope it isn't too severe, and if you do rma it, make sure to list psu/mobo as well.
    Some cards just do coil noise anyway. Mine does, and it's something I have to deal with I guess.
    I do notice it far less, though. Then again, I hardly ever game these days outside of Hearthstone.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I have never heard of a coil noise issue disappearing by time. If anything, a certain combination of psu/mobo/GPU creates more or less noise, so people having it disappear might have been changing hardware. I hope it isn't too severe, and if you do rma it, make sure to list psu/mobo as well.
    Some cards just do coil noise anyway. Mine does, and it's something I have to deal with I guess.
    I do notice it far less, though. Then again, I hardly ever game these days outside of Hearthstone.
    Damn, that sucks. Got an OK stable overclock on it. When fans are at ~60% and fps is not >120 it's not as noticeable. I guess I have too look into just living through it.

So sick of server queues. This is my 3rd expac launch and it has never been this bad, I play on a low-med pop realm and currently getting queues over 3k.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah there's going to be no getting into Frostmourne for another 2-3 days at least. This is just retarded.

What boggles me is that Blizz still haven't implemented what Guild Wars has had all this time - server overflow. Basically when a particular area becomes super-crowded the server automatically "offloads" people into another instance of the area on another server. There have been times when zones have gone into 2-3 extra overflows and it all runs smoothly.

Right now I don't give a shit about playing on Frostmourne, I just want to PLAY THE FUCKING GAME on my main character...there are quite a few low-pop servers with hardware/memory/bandwidth just going to waste when they should be acting as overflow servers during such times.

Guess there's only so much Blizz can do with the WoW's ancient foundations.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-11-14 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the people bitching like Blizzard could have planned for this somehow don't really seem to understand how the internet and servers work.

omg LOAD
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yeah there's going to be no getting into Frostmourne for another 2-3 days at least. This is just retarded.

What boggles me is that Blizz still haven't implemented what Guild Wars has had all this time - server overflow. Basically when a particular area becomes super-crowded the server automatically "offloads" people into another instance of the area on another server. There have been times when zones have gone into 2-3 extra overflows and it all runs smoothly.

Right now I don't give a shit about playing on Frostmourne, I just want to PLAY THE FUCKING GAME on my main character...there are quite a few low-pop servers with hardware/memory/bandwidth just going to waste when they should be acting as overflow servers during such times.

Guess there's only so much Blizz can do with the WoW's ancient foundations.
    Kinda glad I stopped playing wow. :}

In other news my heater is broken, the good news? My cpu was at like 16c when I woke up this morning, haha.

I need to buy a new naga, just deciding if I want to get the epic one or not.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    All the people bitching like Blizzard could have planned for this somehow don't really seem to understand how the internet and servers work.

omg LOAD
    I won't pretend to know more than Blizzard about their own infrastructure, but I do know for a fact that there are many ways to get around load distribution. Especially with the resources that Blizzard have available.

Blizzard's solution is "free character migration!" which I would be 100% happy with...you know, if it was also free to come BACK to the server. Right now people are basically locked out of their main characters and just want to get into the game. Are you telling me that resources aren't available for them? Of course there are, look at all the low-pop realms sitting around.

In fact we already know the game is capable of merging groups across realms (happens every time you run an LFG group), so I really don't know Blizzard's deal.

Servers and virtualization is extremely flexible and this kind of shit has been possible for years. Just as a working example look at GW2's overflow system.

Right now it's a Saturday morning and I doubt I will be able to get through this 4000+ queue before the weekend ends. Queues are one thing but this is fucking ridiculous.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-11-14 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize on top of all of this load they had DDoS attacks, right? (No, I and Blizzard are not putting all the blame on the DDoS)
    "A flower.

Xuvial, the low-pop servers are only slightly better off. Heck, Earthen Ring right now has queues for the first time in its lifetime. And we're actually seeing all you're talking about... about three other realms are particularly dumping players onto ours.