Internet Connectivety Issues

So here's the deal.

Every time I try to download WoW I get disconnected from the Internet, and none of the lights on the front of my modem change, and none of the lights on my router change either. This sometimes occurs when I'm surfing the web too, but way less often then if I'm trying to download a big file or something like WoW. I mean as soon as I start to download WoW, I get disconnected like 1-3 minutes later every time. I unplug the modem, and plug it back in, and my internet is fine again, but as soon as I start to download again, boom my internet crashes. I have tested both wireless, and a hard line, since I'm on a laptop, and it does it on both connections, and I've also tried using two different cable outlets, one upstairs, and one downstairs, and the same problems occur. I run virus scans daily with AVG, and Spybot Search and Destroy, and I also run CC Cleaner daily as well. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened, and it has been going on for about a week or so. I was thinking it was my internet provider, but seeing as the cable lights never go off, and the internet is usually fine when surfing the web I'm not so sure, and since the internet always crashes when trying to download big files, I was thinking it was the modem, but I'm not completely sure there either (it's about a 10 year old Toshiba). I don't think it's my router since it's only about 1-2 years old, and it's a big name router (Linksys).

It's a puzzle, and it seems like there could be a plethora of solutions, but I'm just not sure which one is right.

(before I get trolled on, I also want to point out that I realize I just spelled connectivity wrong=/

Update: Problem solved, it was the modem like I maybe had thought. Went to my ISP and got a 3.0 fixed the problem.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-03-13 at 12:17 AM.

What's your ISP? They're probably throttling you.

Cox Communications

Hmm, Cox doesn't throttle as far as I know. Have you tried another computer or downloading something big on a PS3/360?

Your modem could be going bad but without testing another machine on the same network it won't be easy to be sure.

The other computer my mom uses, and she has downloaded some decent sized scrap booking files, and no disconnects, but I will try downloading WoW on it just to see if it disconnects.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-03-12 at 09:59 AM.

Have you tried to paused your anti-virus and try to do the WoW download/update?

Ya I never scan when I'm doing something else cause it slows everything down. I run the scans then leave the computer.

No, I mean turn it off completely. A lot of the times WoW downloading will hang on anti-virus/firewalls.

Ok ya, I will try that

---------- Post added 2012-03-12 at 05:14 AM ----------

Didn't work. I think you may be right, I think Cox might me throttling me. I will find out here in a second, I'm going to get disconnected on this computer, and then go upstairs and see if the internet on the upstairs computer still works.

---------- Post added 2012-03-12 at 05:26 AM ----------

Okay got the internet to crash downstairs by trying to download WoW, and I then went upstairs and tried bring up the internet up there as well to see if it crashed, and it also crashed.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-03-12 at 10:26 AM.

You got ISP issues then. You can call Cox and ask for a new modem or you can go to a Cox store if there's one around you.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to connect the modem directly to the computer and see if the issue still exists?

Ya the issue still persisted.

Call Cox and ask for a new modem then or go to a Cox store, they shouldn't raise too many issues.

Cox has a list of compatible modems on their site, could I just go to an electronics store, and buy one that Cox lists as compatible?

I personally wouldn't. I've seen ISP's block modem's whose MAC addresses aren't matching on the customer's account to prevent people from hooking up as many modems as they want.

Seriously though, just call Cox. They have 24/7 phone support just about everywhere.
    Last edited by Sensei_Sin; 2012-03-12 at 10:46 AM.