Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    That's why if you use a GS, you don't waste two utility slots on Charge/Frenzy.
    Well, one thing ya could do is have another Stun ready to force them to blow their stun on something less dangerous. Like the Mace Burst skill.

Get full adrenaline with Mace/Mace or Mace/Shield or even Mace/Warhorn, use the Burst skill, weapon swap to Greatsword, and try to Hundred Blades. If it doesn't work, that's only a 10-second CD, and they likely just used one of their stun breakers (maybe their only stun breaker).

Better to use Bola though, imo. They could attack back, sure, but they'd take massive damage either way.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

That's not how it works Drake.

They won't blow their stun break on something less dangerous. If you're fighting a greatsword warrior, you assume he's a glass cannon. Since he's a glass cannon, you only use your stun break on frenzy. As frenzy is what the entire combo revolves around, that's what you need to avoid. Avoiding someone for 4 seconds isn't all that hard once you get some range on them, even if he has a greatsword.

Secondly, if you take a mace mainhand, you don't take an axe mainhand. Eviscerate is almost half the damage of a greatsword warrior. What you're suggesting is sacrificing ~40% of your damage.

Bola is silly, as they can still use abilities. This includes: condition removal, cc, defensive abilities. All of which counter you. The only thing that counters a stun, reliably, is a stun remover or a little luck from aegis.

Also, if you try to use the mace adrenaline stun in order to save 1 utility slot, you sacrifice even more damage as the stun will last less time due to the weapon swap, the more buttons you need to press, and the fact that you have to make sure you're in range of them (as it is not a gap closer like bull's rush)
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-14 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Well, one thing ya could do is have another Stun ready to force them to blow their stun on something less dangerous. Like the Mace Burst skill.

Get full adrenaline with Mace/Mace or Mace/Shield or even Mace/Warhorn, use the Burst skill, weapon swap to Greatsword, and try to Hundred Blades. If it doesn't work, that's only a 10-second CD, and they likely just used one of their stun breakers (maybe their only stun breaker).

Better to use Bola though, imo. They could attack back, sure, but they'd take massive damage either way.
    Missing the number 5 hammer skill? That's a knockdown which is basically a stun. You won't need to blow your burst on getting them to use their stun break if you roll with Hammer / Greatsword weapon sets. You can knock them down and have them blow their stun break on that, then switch out to the greatsword with your adrenaline intact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post

They won't blow their stun break on something less dangerous. If you're fighting a greatsword warrior, you assume he's a glass cannon. Since he's a glass cannon, you only use your stun break on frenzy. As frenzy is what the entire combo revolves around, that's what you need to avoid. Avoiding someone for 4 seconds isn't all that hard once you get some range on them, even if he has a greatsword.

Secondly, if you take a mace mainhand, you don't take an axe mainhand. Eviscerate is almost half the damage of a greatsword warrior. What you're suggesting is sacrificing ~40% of your damage.

Bola is silly, as they can still use abilities. This includes: condition removal, cc, defensive abilities. All of which counter you. The only thing that counters a stun, reliably, is a stun remover or a little luck from aegis.

Also, if you try to use the mace adrenaline stun in order to save 1 utility slot, you sacrifice even more damage as the stun will last less time due to the weapon swap, the more buttons you need to press, and the fact that you have to make sure you're in range of them (as it is not a gap closer like bull's rush)
    Why are you assuming every GS Warrior runs with Charge/Frenzy? It's not the only way to run GS and you'll have better success as a Warrior and with your team by ditching Frenzy/Charge.

In tPvP it's not all about burst damage. Look at TP's GS Warrior compared to SS GS Warrior. Moldran barely every gets his HB blades off since they either control him or know when he's coming so use group stability, making him waste Charge/Frenzy.

This is the build I run with GS: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...bWuskZtCZEyWEA
    I don't rely on two gimmicky abilities to do damage. Since the no.1 skill on GS does just as much damage as HB in the same amount of time.

Why are you assuming every GS Warrior runs with Charge/Frenzy? It's not the only way to run GS and you'll have better success as a Warrior and with your team by ditching Frenzy/Charge.
    Because every greatsword warrior runs with bull's rush/frenzy as no other alternatives that are better or equivalent have been found. You're more than welcome to play a greatsword warrior without using frenzy/bull's rush, but no one has found a superior set up, nor is that what the topic is about. Sorry.

In case you weren't aware, my opinion is that bulls rush/frenzy is useless in tPvP. See SS vs TP. It can be countered far too easy as it's just a simple one trick pony.

As for your build? You don't seem to rely on anything to do damage, other than about 1 or 2 hits of Hundred Blades at 60% crit chance. You'd be better off without the greatsword, as the greatsword is mainly focused on mobility and burst. Hammer + Mace/Shield or Hammer + Mace/Mace seem decent. Axe/Mace + Mace/Shield or Axe/Mace + Hammer is a more balanced set up.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-14 at 09:51 PM.

Hammer + Mace/Shield or Hammer + Mace/Mace seem decent. Axe/Mace + Mace/Shield or Axe/Mace + Hammer is a more balanced set up.
    You forgot mace/axe+axe/shield

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, except that if you look at the other side of the SS vs. TP match, SS's warrior ran Greatsword without Bull Rush or Frenzy AND used 1h Mace burst skill stun to line up Hundred Blades. So I guess I'm not sure where the blanket statements about X or Y not working and Z being the only way are coming from.
    I'm more referring to TP losing because it relied on Moldran's damage. SS likes unconventional builds and making them work. The build Pyre linked is just bad if his focus is on damage. Beyond the weapon choice, I don't know what SS's warrior used.

I'll take back this statement though, "Because every greatsword warrior runs with bull's rush/frenzy as no other alternatives that are better or equivalent have been found."

As SS did do it.

But this, again, isn't what the topic is about. Or at least, originally anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    You forgot mace/axe+axe/shield
    There's a bunch of combinations. I didn't forget, I just didn't list everything. :P
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-14 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted
    I'm more referring to TP losing because it relied on Moldran's damage. SS likes unconventional builds and making them work. The build Pyre linked is just bad if his focus is on damage. Beyond the weapon choice, I don't know what SS's warrior used.

But this, again, isn't what the topic is about. Or at least, originally.
    I thought it was pretty obvious with that build my focus isn't damage. Warriors focusing purely on damage are bad, why focus on an aspect like that when the Warrior can bring so much more to the table. With that build I still put out decent damage but bring alot of utility which you need for tPvP. The Battle Standard alone is probably one of the most powerful elites in-game, with such a build your enemy shouldn't be able to get stomps on your team or be able to stop you stomping.

Afaik SS's Warrior runs a pretty similar build. Since we run similar team setups for tPvP except we run Ranger instead of Thief.

I thought it was pretty obvious with that build my focus isn't damage. Warriors focusing purely on damage are bad, why focus on an aspect like that when the Warrior can bring so much more to the table. With that build I still put out decent damage but bring alot of utility which you need for tPvP. The Battle Standard alone is probably one of the most powerful elites in-game, with such a build your enemy shouldn't be able to get stomps on your team or be able to stop you stomping.

Afaik SS's Warrior runs a pretty similar build. Since we run similar team setups for tPvP except we run Ranger instead of Thief.
    Okay, let me clarify, the greatsword does not synergyie well with your build, which is why you won't be able to do as much damage as you could. The only benefit of greatsword over any of those suggestions is the ability to roam easier. And, I suppose, chase.

You seem orientated towards a balanced/support build. If you want that, you wouldn't take the greatsword. You'd take a mainhand axe, with some combination of shield, hammer, or mace, and then trait for shouts or banners (in addition to most likely Discipline), and then have your utilities be supportive (which you did do, though I think there's better choices for a few of them)

As for stats, it widely depends on the specifics of your traits and personal preference. Compassion/toughness, compassion/vitality (is that possible?), vitality/power are the first three that come to mind with what I'm envisioning.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-14 at 10:24 PM.

That's why if you use a GS, you don't waste two utility slots on Charge/Frenzy.
    Depends on how you like to play. See I like uncapping points. So I tend to run solo and usually only encounter 1 or 2 people guarding. I use the Bulls / frenzy to burst down a player so then its now a 1 v 1. If I miss though well then I will eather die or my back up weapon set will take them down.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIIQ...xijDHJOLCGVsJA

This is my Build as you can see Im more of a Glass cannon then anything else but thats ok. Because Im a base capper and dieing comes with the job. Im usally always in first place on the score board and win more matches then I lose.

Im strategic and mobile. I do look for the weakest players and exploit thier falicies. Alll the while being a pest uncapping back bases and making thier team divide trying to hunt down a lone warrior while the rest of my group can stay together and dominated hold majority control points.

Im that annoying D-Bag that kills Dolyaks Caravans and cuts off supply lines to defending enemie keeps. Im also the same Jack Hole who kills you after you died respawn and are trying to get back to the battle.

My names Hellspawn I am Canadian and im coming for you. Welcome to Guildwars 2
    Last edited by Hellspawnxxx; 2012-08-15 at 12:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

They won't blow their stun break on something less dangerous.
    It won't always be immediately apparent what build you happen to be using. I wasn't talking about Hundred Blades + Frenzy, I was talking specifically about landing Hundred Blades well. It's still dangerous even without Frenzy, it's just not straight-up OP.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Missing the number 5 hammer skill? That's a knockdown which is basically a stun.
    That's a good point. Have to remember Knockdowns. There's also the X/Mace #5, which wouldn't require using adrenaline. I think applying a Cripple/Chill/Immob could also be effective, but more risky since they can still attack.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It won't always be immediately apparent what build you happen to be using. I wasn't talking about Hundred Blades + Frenzy, I was talking specifically about landing Hundred Blades well. It's still dangerous even without Frenzy, it's just not straight-up OP.
    No, it actually isn't since it roots you in place. Without frenzy, you might land 2 or 3 hits max assuming you get a full stun on them beforehand. What build someone's running is very easy to infer on the first encounter with that person, just based on their weapon and utility choice, and their durability.

Also, lets completely ignore the rest of that post and cherrypick one sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, lets completely ignore the rest of that post and cherrypick one sentence.
    Nothing else in the post was worth responding to. Let's pretend that the specific line I quote is the only line I read.

It's like you try to make it easy.

List of WArrior changes from Guru for those interested.

Axe

Chop Damage: 470.3726. Damage: 415.0346.
    Cyclone Axe Vulnerability(8s) 4 Stacks : -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.
    Double Chop Damage: 940.7451. Damage: 885.4072.

Greatsword

Greatsword Slice Vulnerability(8s): -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.
    Greatsword Swing Vulnerability(8s): -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.

Hammer

Fierce Blow Damage: 608.7174. Damage: 774.7312.
    Hammer Bash Damage: 553.3795. Damage: 498.0415.
    Hammer Smash None Finish Type.Damage: 774.7312. 664.0554.
    Hammer Swing Damage: 553.3795. Damage: 498.0415.
    Staggering Blow Whirl Finish Type.Damage: 664.0554. 719.3932.

Heal

Healing Signet 40 20 sec Cooldown.
    Healing Surge Heal yourself and build adrenaline. Build adrenaline and heal yourself. Heal amount is based on adrenaline level. Healing: 120. Stage 1 Heal: 120. Stage 2 Heal: 120. Stage 3 Heal: 120.
    Mending 20 25 sec Cooldown.

Long Bow

Arcing Arrow Blast Finish Type.Damage: 845.4525. 802.4003.
    Pin Down Physical Projectile Finish Type.Damage: 231.6233. 221.3518.

Mace

Crushing Blow Vulnerability(10s) 4 Stacks : -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.
    Pommel Bash Damage: 233.2283. Damage: 221.3518.

Profession

Combustive Shot Burning(2s): 8 Damage. ) 5 Stacks : 8 Damage. Aoe 240(12s): Circle 240. Radius: 240 feet. Damage: 182.6152. Damage: 249.0208.

Rifle

Brutal Shot Vulnerability(10s) 5 Stacks : -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.
    Volley Physical Projectile (20% chance) Finish Type.Damage: 332.0277. 1660.138. Buff: .

Speargun

Brutal Shot Vulnerability(15s): -30 Defense. 1% Incoming Damage.
    Repeating Shot Damage: 138.3449. Damage: 553.3795. Damage: 138.3449. Damage: 138.3449. Damage: 138.3449.

Utility

"On My Mark!" (New) Shout. Call out target foe to make them vulnerable. 3 Skill Points. 30 sec Cooldown. 900 Range. Vulnerability(10s) 10 Stacks : +1% Incoming Damage.
    Signet of Fury 60 sec Cooldown. 30 sec Cooldown. Buff(0s): .
    Signet of Might Signet of Might(0s): +10-90 Power.
    Stomp DistanceBlowout: 450 feet.
    Throw Bolas Damage: 138.3449.

Weapon

Kick Push your foe back with a kick. Cripple your foe with a kick. Damage: 221.3518. Damage: 996.083. Crippled(2s): -50% Movement Speed. Crippled(3s): -50% Movement Speed.
    Punch 1 sec Cooldown. Damage: 221.3518. Damage: 553.3795.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Did they change the 5th skill on mace as OH?

It now locks you in place, I don't remember it doing that before!

I feel like hammer and mace need a little damage buff! I absolutely love that combination of weapons! <3

Deleted
    Quite like axes myself. Never been one for 2 handers unless they're ranged, tbh.

Tried greatsword today and it didn't really feel good for me. Hammer felt quite satisfying but not as good as 2x axe. Also tried axe + shield. Felt a little weak but looks pretty badass, gotta love big shields. Got rifle as my other set, love the rifle too.

Haven't even tried maces or the longbow yet. Never really been into bows and balls-on-sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Quite like axes myself. Never been one for 2 handers unless they're ranged, tbh.

Tried greatsword today and it didn't really feel good for me. Hammer felt quite satisfying but not as good as 2x axe. Also tried axe + shield. Felt a little weak but looks pretty badass, gotta love big shields. Got rifle as my other set, love the rifle too.

Haven't even tried maces or the longbow yet. Never really been into bows and balls-on-sticks.
    2x 1H axe was my fav as a warrior. Especially with a Longbow.

I recommended it to someone earlier in the week that had his doubts about the warrior...after he tried it he fell in love.

Deleted
    "On my mark" Shout + Brutal Shot (Rifle) are devastating in PvE. 15 stacks of vulnerability, with short cooldown. Mobs were melting during this stress test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    2x 1H axe was my fav as a warrior. Especially with a Longbow.

I recommended it to someone earlier in the week that had his doubts about the warrior...after he tried it he fell in love.
    I think that 2x axe has definitely convinced me to play the Warrior, I love it. That bladestormy skill on 5 is just murder.