Poll: How often do you get sick from the common cold and/or the flu?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How often do you get sick?

Does your diet help or hurt you? Are you around a lot of sick people at work or school?

I rarely get sick, maybe once or twice a year. My diet right now is about the regular diet (meaning whatever I want to eat, without being TOO greedy) and I would say no to me being around sick people.

I've never really gotten sick much. I might get a cold once a year at that and rarely ever anything other than just a cold. My diet has always been pretty crappy and these days I'm not very active but growing up I was very active. My boyfriend gets sick pretty often but has the same diet and lifestyle. /shrug I honestly think some people just get lucky.

Edit: I've only gotten more than a cold once in my life. I had a severe allergic reaction to aspirin the first time I took it and had to go to the hospital. Thanks to the compromised immune system from that I ended up with pleurisy.

I do have allergies but I live in one of the worst parts of the country for those. My state dominates the rankings every year for worst allergy spots.
    Last edited by Spritely; 2012-04-02 at 12:03 AM.

I almost never get sick, but I almost constantly have sinus congestion from allergies.
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2012-04-02 at 12:00 AM.

Yes, my diet affects how often I get sick. Recently I started a rather unhealthy diet (Less eating, about 700 calories a day.) and I got sick due to lack of nutrients. Otherwise I barely ever get sick, probably once a year.

Deleted
    I don't get ill too often. I'll maybe get a cold, or something similar, twice a year (if that).

I got really ill because of my diet a couple of years back (one of those rare male anorexics) and I'm sure I could improve it (more vitamins etc) to help further improve my constitution/immune system but I don't think it factors much into how healthy I am these days.

Almost never, apart from minor hay allergies during the summer.

I don't think I've even had fever in years.

It depends on the job and your environment. I teach fourth grade for a living. I would say I get pretty sick (three days or more) about seven to nine times every school year. That's not including general voice loss.

Oh, this thread is related in dieting it seems. I never found a relationship between my dieting and me getting sick. But I find eating well doesn't prevent me getting sick. But a diet does help cause a bigger headache sometimes. heh
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2012-04-02 at 12:02 AM.

I get sick so rarely that I never remember the last time I was sick when I am. For all our Irish flaws, such as a reputedly awful relationship with the sun (Not really the case for me, I tan marvellously, although I hate warm weather so it's all for nought...), I personally have a rather extraordinary immune system; though when it rains it pours, and when I get sick it's usually best that I just curl up in bed and hibernate.

Depends what you mean by 'sick'...but I bet I get about 4 or 5 colds a year, really sucks for a day or two and then it passes before I know it, and though it sucks it's nothing I ever take a sick day for or anything. I did get the flu like 3 years in a row but I've been flu-free for a few years now. I eat pretty well, I think it's mostly the work I do (I work in a restaurant).

I have a crazily strong immune system, I get sick maybe once a year. My girlfriend on the other hand is a completely different story but so far the only thing she has ever passed to me is a sore throat which got better a day later while she had it for another 3 days on anti-biotics.

Diet I eat whatever I want while trying not to be greedy since I am losing weight at the moment.
    Example would be this mornings (10 minutes ago) Poppy seed bagel with cream cheese and spaghetti, black coffee no sugar side.
    Daenerýs

“It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurrying around chasing dreams, illusions, wars, peace, love, hate, all that--it's all illusion. Unknown is what it is. Accept that it's unknown and it's plain sailing. Everything is unknown--then you're ahead of the game. That's what it is. Right?” - John Lennon

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I havent had a real cold or flu in a couple of years. Maybe for a few hours in the morning, but it passes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost never. I think I've only really been sick once, maybe twice in the past 5 years. It's pretty surprising considering I work in a pharmacy, surrounded by sick people all day.

Max twice a year excluding the occasional colds during winter and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by axolotls View Post
    Almost never. I think I've only really been sick once, maybe twice in the past 5 years. It's pretty surprising considering I work in a pharmacy, surrounded by sick people all day.
    That is surprising. I know a pharmacist and I swear she's sick like every other month. lol

i've noticed the older i've gotten, the more sick i get throughout the year, and the simple cold is gone with the wind as well. now when ever i get sick it ends up turning into bronchitis, and yes i have a perfectly good diet, i think its just due to age.

i've started juicing this month (a lot of carrot juice recipes in the mix) so i'm hoping this helps on me getting less sick each year. three times in one year is a bit much....

Almost never. Haven't been to a hospital or clinic in about 14 years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Almost never. Haven't been to a hospital or clinic in about 14 years as well.
    Only times I've been to one for myself were once for the bad allergic reaction and a second time for giving birth (and once more if you count my birth).

When I do get colds they don't last long. Somehow when my bf gets sick he's really bad for about a week and then kinda normal sick for about 2 weeks. and this is about once every other month. He's pretty pitiful when he's sick lol

I have a cold about twice a year if I'm careless about what I wear in the Winter, which I usually am. And of course a bit of occasional nasal congestion from allergies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

Hopefully you're all at least being exposed to illnesses so your immune systems will be able to defend against them in the future. Not getting sick has its down sides.

I've actually been sick this past week, which strangely I've started doing more exercise and healthy eating because of the change of seasons, but that got put on hiatus.

Person above me, you don't get sick from being cold. ღ