10+ Year Old Account
    That episode made me cream my pants, Iroh did that. It's interesting to note that if I remember correctly that we're going to see Koh at some point. Also before any of you think spirits never had a bad side in A:TLA, look no further than the Winter Solstice and the panda spirit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Unflattering pic.
    Shh up Ely. I'm Male Model Duronos.
    Hey everyone

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the reveal of Warlords of Draenor today, I was kind of pumped up to watch Legend of Korra, for whatever reason. Big reveals do that. Anyways, I do question a couple things from this episode, but for the most part, I liked it. The return of Iroh and the Spirit Library were unexpected-ish, and I'm glad that they're continuing even more story lines from The Last Airbender.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    That episode made me cream my pants, Iroh did that. It's interesting to note that if I remember correctly that we're going to see Koh at some point. Also before any of you think spirits never had a bad side in A:TLA, look no further than the Winter Solstice and the panda spirit.

- - - Updated - - -

Shh up Ely. I'm Male Model Duronos.
    Oh I know that (I'm sure I've even said that I think you're fit before), but that pic just isn't flattering in the slightest.

OT: Recently rewatched some TLA. Korra is legit identical (attitude wise) to season 1/start of season 2 Zuko. Like.. identical. Cocky, brash, hot headed, hypocritical, fails to learn from his/her mistakes, and blames the person in the right (Iroh/Tenzin), even after being proven wrong dozens of times.
    So, I really don't get why people dislike her so much. Zuko was redeemed.. I'm sure they'll manage the same with Korra.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit, forgot about there being an episode today.
    Eh, I'll watch it in the morning.

I want to call this episode, Fanservice the Episode. Complete with pointless cameos and utter wastes of possibilities.

I'll admit, when I first saw the lovable bastard, I started screaming a flailing my arms around like a mental patient on a sugar high. But that feeling went away as soon as my BS meter started going off the charts. I nearly cackled like a madman when Korra was about to leave. Despite being one of the most competent people in the LoK series, Iroh doesn't do a damn thing because Reasons.

Hell, Wan Shi Tong was even more pointless. Literally nothing was gained from the library except exposition that we really didn't need to know. Not to mention how they seemed to screw up the owl's speech pattern for whatever reason. In AtLA, he sounded much slower refined, here he just seemed like a crochity old man screaming at kids to get off his lawn. Then the fact that I can't, for the life of me, understand why he'd keep a rotting corpse just lying in the middle of his library.

Credit where it's due though. The spirit world looked rather nice, especially since the last time we saw it it was with Aang and it was nothing but swamplands. But I had to give a bit of a sigh when they had to make the whole experience look like a cliche nightmare sequence.

But hopefully with the little missy missing, we can see the episodes picking up. And also hopefully they aren't ruined by LIn's increasing ability to become mentally retarded as time goes on and the stupid romance that they want to shove down our throats like a pill that's just too big.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zonas, I have to say that I need more backstory on how Iroh ended up in the Spirit World? Like is his body still in the actual world? It just seemed a bit untouched so to speak. Also why would Wan Shi Tong kill the Professor? He was never going back to the real world... I never assumed he died either.
    Hey everyone

That is the way MOP should of been seen by everyone over kunfu panda.
    The painterly backgrounds where amazing and the adult dragon bird... *misty eyed joy*

- - - Updated - - -

Zonas, I have to say that I need more backstory on how Iroh ended up in the Spirit World? Like is his body still in the actual world? It just seemed a bit untouched so to speak. Also why would Wan Shi Tong kill the Professor? He was never going back to the real world... I never assumed he died either.
    He stated he left it behind when his work was done.

( I can't get over how I felt I was watching some AMV for mop tho. )
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-11-09 at 04:38 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I don't think he would have killed the Professor, just that he probably just died of old age or starvation or something after the library was sent back. But it still makes no sense why the stupid owl wouldn't clean up the mess, rotting flesh can't be too good for books. Or at least one of the foxes should have carried it away to devour.

And Iroh just says that he "left" his body to be in the spirit world. The actual specifics are up for debate. He either died and chose to live in the spirit world rather than "heaven" or whatever ambiguous after-life humans have in the world, or he just decided that he was done with living, took a deep breath, and died on the spot.

I... what...

Just... what?

Iroh? IROH? WHY? Why was that necessary? It's not bad, but... WHY?

The show is visually stunning as always. The characters are getting better, but everything is getting super predictable. The only surprising thing of the episode was Wan Shi Tong working with Unalaq. I don't get why he would do that (he's intelligent and has to know Vaatu would fuck his day up). Unalaq capturing Jinora? Check. Unalaq using her as collateral to force Korra to open the other portal? Check. Unalaq being stereotypical villain and not releasing the collateral after? Check.

Overall, it's a very meh episode. The designs carry it. It's absolutely gorgeous to watch, but when character start feeling like chess pieces, it might be a good time to shake it up a bit.

Yea for character development!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Yea for character development!
    I felt that when they showed Korra become a little girl in the spirit world was the writers way of acknowledging what they've made her this season: a whiny little child. Hell, that tantrum she threw about finding Tenzin's daughter was basically the same as every other tantrum she's thrown already so far, it just looked somewhat more becoming of a child than an almost adult.

In any case, Iroh stuck to Iroh character, as in he knows what you're supposed to do and will nudge you on the path, but he ain't messing with your own growth (see in any interaction with Zuko and Toph in ATLA), but his voice was what threw me the most (I know why they got a new voice actor, it still was a bit jarring to hear). All in all good, but I was expecting Korra to bust out some bending at the end, after all, she did drink tea from the Rava tea pot.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Swizzlington View Post
    I felt that when they showed Korra become a little girl in the spirit world was the writers way of acknowledging what they've made her this season: a whiny little child. Hell, that tantrum she threw about finding Tenzin's daughter was basically the same as every other tantrum she's thrown already so far, it just looked somewhat more becoming of a child than an almost adult.

In any case, Iroh stuck to Iroh character, as in he knows what you're supposed to do and will nudge you on the path, but he ain't messing with your own growth (see in any interaction with Zuko and Toph in ATLA), but his voice was what threw me the most (I know why they got a new voice actor, it still was a bit jarring to hear). All in all good, but I was expecting Korra to bust out some bending at the end, after all, she did drink tea from the Rava tea pot.
    Was Iroh's VA different? It sounded sorta like the one he had back in Book 3, but there was still something different about it. I just figured the guy tried to change it to add to Iroh's advanced age or just because it had been a while since he did it. Either way, I guess he didn't have enough screentime to make it jarring, considering he was nearly as pointless as the owl was.

They seemed to turn him into what Roku was back in AtLA, offering guidence when needed but not much else, but it made sense why he didn't actually help all the time. Iroh at least did stuff back then. But now, not a single finger lifted, despite how the entire spirit/material world are about to be torn asunder.

And I'm still a bit bothered how they pretty much made Korra's reaction to the spirits a copy/pasted tale of Wan's, complete with her trying to threaten them with her bending. At least the spirit designs have been improving since Wan's story, since they now don't all look like featureless blobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    I... what...

Just... what?

Iroh? IROH? WHY? Why was that necessary? It's not bad, but... WHY?

The show is visually stunning as always. The characters are getting better, but everything is getting super predictable. The only surprising thing of the episode was Wan Shi Tong working with Unalaq. I don't get why he would do that (he's intelligent and has to know Vaatu would fuck his day up). Unalaq capturing Jinora? Check. Unalaq using her as collateral to force Korra to open the other portal? Check. Unalaq being stereotypical villain and not releasing the collateral after? Check.

Overall, it's a very meh episode. The designs carry it. It's absolutely gorgeous to watch, but when character start feeling like chess pieces, it might be a good time to shake it up a bit.
    We're complaining about Iroh appearing on here now?

Yeah i'm done

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post

Yeah i'm done
    Or... you know, pointless cameos that have no actual bearing to the plot.

Maybe if he actually did SOMETHING, other than simply make me want to rewatch AtLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Or... you know, pointless cameos that have no actual bearing to the plot.

Maybe if he actually did SOMETHING, other than simply make me want to rewatch AtLA.
    What are you talking about he did what he always did since the first season. Provide guidance for whoever needed it.

This hasn't changed since ever. Complaining about it now seems stupid.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post

Yeah i'm done
    I don't hate it for Iroh being there. Hell, I don't even fault it for it, but it was kinda pointless.

I just feel like the show is getting way too predictable. That's it's only problem for me now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate it for Iroh being there. Hell, I don't even fault it for it, but it was kinda pointless.

I just feel like the show is getting way too predictable. That's it's only problem for me now.
    So you predicted Iroh in that episode? Alright...
    Hey everyone

So you predicted Iroh in that episode? Alright...
    Big difference between "Old character from TLA showing up out of nowhere" and "Stereotypical villain is stereotypical" or "Obvious kidnap victim is kidnapped"

It just didn't feel like the story flowed... like at all. It was "We're done here now we're at the next place"

And the predictability might be a side effect of Korra not being a hothead (as much) anymore. A lot of the things that weren't predictable were actually caused by her stupidity. This presents a problem with the storytelling at this point.

The show isn't bad, I loved a lot of this season. This one... eh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big difference between "Old character from TLA showing up out of nowhere" and "Stereotypical villain is stereotypical" or "Obvious kidnap victim is kidnapped"

It just didn't feel like the story flowed... like at all. It was "We're done here now we're at the next place"

And the predictability might be a side effect of Korra not being a hothead (as much) anymore. A lot of the things that weren't predictable were actually caused by her stupidity. This presents a problem with the storytelling at this point.

The show isn't bad, I loved a lot of this season. This one... eh.
    You do realize for a whole 24 episodes of Book 1 in A:TLA that Zuko was predictable right? We haven't even had that many episodes yet for Korra.
    Hey everyone

You do realize for a whole 24 episodes of Book 1 in A:TLA that Zuko was predictable right? We haven't even had that many episodes yet for Korra.
    I wasn't the biggest Zuko fan in A:TLA. Also, book 1 was the weakest (it was still exceptional) of the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't the biggest Zuko fan in A:TLA. Also, Book 1 was the weakest (it was still exceptional) of the series.
    I've looked at each Book differently in A:TLA, Book 1 has more traveling involved in it, they saw so many places. I love Book 1 because of how laid back it is whereas the other two are bit more intense in certain parts, "Book 1 don't give a fuck" (Honey Badger reference).

Book 2 was weird, it jumped all over the place but not as much as Book 1. Book 2 didn't really sidetrack like Book 1 but still did in certain parts. It became more serious starting with losing Appa. I like to call this Book the middle ground between Book 1 and 3 and it's not just because it's in the middle but because it sidetracks while still staying fully on track unlike Book 1 where it can go any direction and did.

Book 3... I have to say I can't decide which Book I like better, 1 or 3. Book 3 showed character development in Sokka and oh my god I loved it. It has the saddest moments of the entire show but anyways I digress. It was set in stone, the plan was already there and they rarely sidetracked at all. Very well written and I love the episodes with Zuko going on an adventure with everyone but Toph (seriously they could have done Toph somehow).

Overall, I believe Book 2 is the lesser of the 3 but still very good, I enjoyed Book 1 specifically for just doing whatever the fuck it wanted to do and Book 3 because it really did everything right with the story.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-11-10 at 08:18 PM.
    Hey everyone