Help with new loot system....

It says that everyone gets a chance to win loot... but didnt explain how that happens... are we rolling against the boss's roll? and theoretically everyone could win loot of the boss???

it seems that is possible with this quote...

"This is why it's so important to us that the size of the group shouldn't matter. We don't want guilds to try to kill a world boss with the smallest number of players necessary in order to maximize loot per player. When everyone has their own chance at loot, why not make the group as large as you can?"

seems like they are saying if you bring 25 players to kill a world boss... all 25 could win loot??

thanks if you can bring some clarity!

if the boss drops 5 items.. the highest 5 will get it.

this would go totally against the quote... because then you would want to bring only 5 players

"We don't want guilds to try to kill a world boss with the smallest number of players necessary in order to maximize loot per player."

if there are limited number of items that drop then you could "maximize loot per player" no?????

i think they are saying its a personal roll... and that everyone has a chance to get loot... and potentially everyone could win.

Too lazy to go blue post hunting but what they said was, theoretically if all 25 people rolls a win, then it's possible for the boss to drop 25 items (1 for each person), but that's a best-case, highly improbable scenario. By the same token, the worst-case scenario would be not a single person winning their roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Prod View Post
    Too lazy to go blue post hunting but what they said was, theoretically if all 25 people rolls a win, then it's possible for the boss to drop 25 items (1 for each person), but that's a best-case, highly improbable scenario. By the same token, the worst-case scenario would be not a single person winning their roll.
    This. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see them "weight" or "slide" the rolls so that we won't see a case where no one gets everything or everyone gets something.

That said, both of those cases would probably be extremely rare.

There likely isn't going to be a "top five" limit, because that would defeat the purpose of having a system where no one else can "take" your loot by beating your roll.

Think of it like spinning a wheel of fortune with unlimited prizes. 25 people spin the wheel, any number of them can win, any number of them can lose, and, since each individual has their own chance at the spin, no one is "taking" the chance at a prize from anyone.

wow ok! thats what i thought. still they didnt say how that happens??? i guess the boss with roll a number and anyone that beats that roll will get loot? that would be simple.

i like that!! i think its a great change...

I doubt the boss will roll. They'll probably just set the cutoff manually.

Other than that, it's really just the game randomly deciding that you get something from the boss, and then checking the bosses droptable for an eligible item or else giving you some sort of gold or similar general purpose reward if none exist.
    Don't think about it to hard. For the player, it's pretty much kill a boss, and either you get something or you don't, no action required on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseka View Post
    if the boss drops 5 items.. the highest 5 will get it.
    This is absolutely wrong. Learn to read. The boss does not even generate loot until after players roll.

There is probably a magic number.. close to 85ish.

The boss dies and has a loot table similar to now with about 15-20 items which cover every spec in the game.
    Each player rolls 1-100 (hidden)
    Players that beat 85 win
    Once a player has won, the game looks at the current spec and chooses 1 item that matches their spec from the possible 15-20 items on the bosses loot table.

Yes, it is possible that many, or very few players beat 85 on their roll. We are guessing 85 is the magic number because currently most bosses drop 4 items.. since nothing else is really changing, we expect on average blizzard will still want the AVERAGE to be around 4 items given out per boss...

My guess is each player will have the same chance of getting an item, and in theory any number of players could get an item. There might be a safety mechanism in place to ensure a certain minimum number of players get an item on any particular boss kill. That way you don't run into a situation where players kill a boss only for absolutely no one to get loot.

The details on whether there will be a minimum/maximum number of players getting loot on any particular kill don't seem to be finalized just yet, so we'll just have to wait and see.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You kill boss
    All players /roll
    Everyone who beats a ____(50, 67, 89, etc.) gets loot
    If there is no loot for you on the boss, you get gold/gems/flasks
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This system is even more confusing than the old one, and I highly suspect it won't ever make it to live. Every time you peal back a layer of "what" there's one more. Mistuhbull explained how it worked, but now the question is how is the baseline roll set and if this means all mages may win their tier helm at the same time.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the best way to do it would be once the boss is dead, he makes a 'loot roll' then everyone who took part in killing him rolls against that number, with anyone who beats it getting some loot, BUT there would always be a 'minimum winners' so if NO ONE beat the bosses roll, the top x% of rolls would win, because a boss has to drop SOMETHING .
    I don't think they need an upper limit though, as
    a) the chances of 25 people winning are pretty small.
    and
    b) the point of killing bosses is to get loot too little loot is a bad bad thing, too MUCH loot is practically an oxymoron
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    This system is even more confusing than the old one, and I highly suspect it won't ever make it to live. Every time you peal back a layer of "what" there's one more. Mistuhbull explained how it worked, but now the question is how is the baseline roll set and if this means all mages may win their tier helm at the same time.
    The system isn't confusing at all if you can just read and comprehend at a semi-intelligent level. Even then, people can just explain it a very simple way as people already have done in this thread. The only part that IS confusing and needs to be clarified is what number you have to roll past to even win an item. Once you figure that out, then it will be completely simple and "no one" should have any qualms about it.
    Xadus, level 85 Death Knight - Proudmoore
    Garaz, level 85 Hunter - Proudmoore

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Roll set is probably not /roll 100. Assume a tier has 8 bosses, they want you to more or less get one piece of one boss a week (Boss lootsxbosses for all of cata is >raid size). So they'll set the roll to something that gives you a ~100% chance to have recieved a piece of loot by your 8th boss kill. If each boss has a 3/8 chance to drop loot, the probability that you have not won at least one roll after 8 bosses is 2%. ((6/8)^8). In roll terms the "win" would be 6,7,8 on a /roll 1-8

If the tier has 14 bosses, each boss only needs a 3/14 or 4/14 chance to drop loot. Or a "win" is (11), 12, 13, 14 on a /roll 1-14.

That's assuming Blizz wants you to get one piece of useable loot a week

yes, all of your mages could win their helm tier all at once
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

When you kill a boss it drops your items, and you have a few seconds to catch them otherwise they hit the floor and break.