10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    But on the other hand, he runs a lot faster than anyone does early with his Q up, so if he just stands in front of minions, the opponent has to risk getting close either to fend him off or to CS, and then he'll just run up to you and smack you.

Not to mention that no one starts with boots up unless they want to be heavily out-sustained in lane.

There are a lot of dumb Garen players. Then there's the ones who knows how to abuse his dumb damage.

EDIT: There are some champions who counter him due to having movement speed themselves, like Teemo, Jayce, Yorick etc.
    But it just sucks for people who don't have that, because he's stupid tanky early while his E does crazy damage.
    I'm always of the mind that I would rather have a fed Garen than anything else on a team. His damage falls off hard, and he just becomes an annoying damage soak late game.

Just had a great game with a 3man premade (top, mid, jungle).

Mid managed to get 117 minions in 42min (not a single item completed at 30min) and died giving firstblood before minions spawned, Their jungle kept making stupid calls [let's fight around blue although we are weaker and blue wont spawn for another 2min. Completely ignoring the calls to fall back]. Top was afk farm cho who kept typing insults.

After the last teamfight where I had to kite (I was the AD) and couldn't get around their tankline of ww and yorick resulting in me killing them but my team dying to their twitch. All they had to do was defend me a bit and I could have killed more important targets but no better dive in vs Sona/Twitch so 4 champs are stunned and twitch can use his ult more efficiently...

10+ Year Old Account
    Zilean top seems like a counter to Garen if you think about it.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    You don't need to counter garen, he's pretty low skillcap so most common bruisers can outplay him anyway.

If you are playing TT, you'll have to pick some sustained damage, which is kinda retarded, but that's problem of 3s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    I'm always of the mind that I would rather have a fed Garen than anything else on a team. His damage falls off hard, and he just becomes an annoying damage soak late game.
    I used to think this. Untill last game, and a few games before that. Garen got incredibly fed and was nearly unkillable (even by a full item build AD carry he took over 5 seconds to kill). Somewhere around midgame I was slightly out of position (nothing that would've mattered), but this Garen Q'd, ran straight through our team (not unfoccused, he simply didn't die due to all the special people building Warmogs instead of damage), hit me, pressed E and killed me in that E. Over 600 damage done. With just a Brutalizer.
    Lategame that Cleaver was the only damage item he had. He still did so much damage with his E, and due to his insane mobility he could often just sweep through the team even when he didn't manage to reach me. He'd just run away with ~400 hp with the speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Zilean top seems like a counter to Garen if you think about it.
    Elise counters Garen hard. Oh Garen used his q and is coming right in at you? Well that's a stun and an exploding spider to the face.
    RETH

Deleted
    I agree that Garen is bullshit. Everyone's like "he's so simple lol". No, he runs up to you at lightning speed, silences you and spins your face off. He's not "simple" at all unless you outrange him by far.

Also Warmogs, Warmogs everywhere.
    Simple is not the same as easy.
    Breaking a brick wall down with your head is pretty simple but it's not easy.

My point is that people make him out to be more simple to lane against than he really is.

It's like with every "simple" champion; a normal player is simple. A smart player is deadly.
    Especially when it comes to things like AP Yi, Nidalee, Singed etc. They do so little, but a smart player does it with great effect.

(I mean, all Yi and Nidalee do is spam Q and Singed just runs around toggling his Q. And it does so much damage.)

Deleted
    He's soooooo easily countered. Like. Wow easy, you know? Like reaaaaaaalllllyyyy easily countered.

Pick a ranged and go /laugh at his face, or if you absolutely want to play a melee; anyone with a jump/dash and a little CC - super hard to find champs with that these days, innit?

Garen goes "herpaderp Q IM RUNNING AT YUUUUU ROARR", you simply jump away and wait for it fade away, or for him to use it on a minion.
    Don't trade with him unless you can keep his passive off otherwise he'll go fiddle around in the brush.

Build armor. Profit.

If you don't feel confident, simply leave him be. Disengage if he tries anything and don't stick around with low health. He can't kill you unless you give him the opportunity, he can't create them himself. He's nothing but a big, fat, low-selfesteem bully put on this earth to bully you until you cry. Just like Teemo. Except that Teemo dies easier. And it's much more fun when Teemo dies.

I cringe everytime I see a Garen, he's so absolutely useless. Okay, that's not true. He's pretty good at soaking up damage and spinning in the face of the enemies, but unless fed, his spinning is just.. well.. like poking Malphite with a wooden stick...

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 09:48 PM ----------

My point is that people make him out to be more simple to lane against than he really is.

It's like with every "simple" champion; a normal player is simple. A smart player is deadly.
    Especially when it comes to things like AP Yi, Nidalee, Singed etc. They do so little, but a smart player does it with great effect.

(I mean, all Yi and Nidalee do is spam Q and Singed just runs around toggling his Q. And it does so much damage.)
    Let's not compare Garen with Nida/Yi/Singed.

Nidalee can stop entire teams from doing barons/dragons just by properly hitting spears, can give you free turrets by hitting spears.

Singed can't die, and can't be stopped. He'll Fling your squishies into bad positions.

Yi is.. uhm... eh, well, YOUR SKILLS ARE INFERIOR.

Garen is going to get kited. Then die. He soaked damage!1!!1
    Last edited by mmocfaf6580671; 2013-01-14 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroo View Post
    I cringe everytime I see a Garen, he's so absolutely useless. Okay, that's not true. He's pretty good at soaking up damage and spinning in the face of the enemies, but unless fed, his spinning is just.. well.. like poking Malphite with a wooden stick...
    So you're saying that even the worst champions such as Heimer, Karma, and Tryndamere are more useful? Are you also implying that even nerfed Evelynn pre-rework is more useful?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    So you're saying that even the worst champions such as Heimer, Karma, and Tryndamere are more useful? Are you also implying that even nerfed Evelynn pre-rework is more useful?
    First of all, that is not a fair comparison. At all. Garen is a top-laner; comparing him with a mid, let alone a support is nothing short of idiocy. Sorry, but it fucking is. They fit two COMPLETELY different roles in a team.

But... if I must, then yeah. That is exactly what I'm saying.

Heimer and Trynda, most definately. Heimer isn't even as bad as people think. He's good for a certain setup/strategy whereas Garen is just.. bad at everything. Doesn't fit in anywhere, in any strategy at all. And Trynda can still rock the shit out of a team, and it can shift the focus to him rather than your ranged AD. Sort of like with Jax; they're both hypercarries and hurt like a motherfucker. So the enemy team has to ask themselves "Trynda or ranged AD carry?" giving the other some room to do as he pleases. It'll also force them to focus some CC (Exhaust, slows, roots, stuns, whatever) and Ignite's on Trynda, instead of the ranged AD.

And pre-rework Eve (So, is this before or after her stun? Ehueheu) still had the ability to completely snowball the game for you due to her stealth ganks. I had plenty successfull games as Even back then. So did my friends. And if you count in the time she had her stun, well then...............

Karma's not as bad you people think either. Insane shields and decent heals, including a small speed boost. Yeah, I'd say Karma > Garen too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroo View Post
    And pre-rework Eve (So, is this before or after her stun? Ehueheu) still had the ability to completely snowball the game for you due to her stealth ganks. I had plenty successfull games as Even back then. So did my friends. And if you count in the time she had her stun, well then...............
    I was refering to when she got hit by the nerfbat down to her weakest state that she needed to be reworked in the first place, back when her stun was removed and given a slow in addition to all the other nerfs, of course.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I was refering to when she got hit by the nerfbat down to her weakest state that she needed to be reworked in the first place, back when her stun was removed and given a slow in addition to all the other nerfs, of course.
    So was I.

Same answer. Eve had (has) the ability to snowball every lane due to stealth ganks, and it forces opponents to spend money on Pink wards. Expensive as hell. Especially if they get killed by Evelynn with oracles halfway through the duration of it. It'll also force very defensive play (Like Shaco does) and allows your laners to penalize them for it. If they push a bit too far, maybe they shouldn't go and cs because there might an invis Eve lurking around.

Garen has the ability to set 1 player a little behind. He's not gonna get kills unless the opponent makes big, biig mistakes. He has nothing to create opportunities for himself. No CC, no poke. He has bullying and denying CS. That is it. At some point, the minions will get shoved to your own turret where you can get some farm. He's also easy-ish gankable if you have some proper CC for his Q.

I guess my point of view on Garen was a bit amplified by the fact that I pretty much only do blind pick these days, and I always tend to get counters or just stronger champions against me in lane.

If I was to play Garen myself, I'd definitely get a Teemo against me. Happened last time. Not pretty.

10+ Year Old Account
    QQ afkers.

that is all.

Throwing my hat in:

I like Garen, but I will agree he's kind of a one-trick pony. The games where I've dominated as him, it was because I stole kills like a big jerk. He is a nice meat shield, though.

I'm working on Kayle and Mundo for my top lane shenanigans, and I'm finding Kayle more fun. Mundo is useful, but I always feel bad using health as a resource until I get more of it. I also have Master Yi but haven't touched him....yet. Mostly because every time I hear about him, he's regarded as a troll pick and I'd hate to be regarded as a troll.
    I am the BEASTMASTER. What are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    It's like saying "Why train up as a football team and go and play in the World Cup, when any random groups of people are playing Football down the park all the time! Footballs too accessable for everyone, GZ Blizzard!"

The thing is: Garen is easy to counter in theory but he only needs to get you once and you will be forced to recall/use a shitton of healthpots or even die.

That's the very reason I usually like playing against a teemo as a melee. All you need is a single mistake and you can punish him so badly (for example darius grab = teemo aa range). I bet garen can nearly kill teemo in a single combo with ignite.

Deleted
    Cho'Gath is very stable pick. If you can play it, you can do many things. I believe it's a fair deal for just 1350IP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just lost a ranked game where we were 22-8 because our wukong left in the middle of the game. Wish I wouldn't lose elo for losses like that but hey, I guess if I can't win a 4v5 it is a clear indicator that I need to be placed in a lower elo.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

meh I played many Garen games and I dislike to play against good Kennen, Elise, Jayce, its almost impossible to win aganist them.

Will be missed ~