Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why doesnt the US make decent cars?

Why does the US not make any decent cars. Sure we have the best trucks coming from Ford and GM but a lot of people would probably prefer a car especially with the way gas prices are. But we really only have one decent car brand in Cadillac and I was skeptical to toss them out because of all the problems I have had with mine and I still dont put them on the same level as a 750 BMW or a S class Mercedes.

But every single decent car made either comes from Japan (Lexus), Germany (Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, and VW), Italy (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati), or England (Jaguar, Lotus, Ashton Martin, Bentley, and Rolls Royce)

Its no wonder Detroit is doing so badly the only thing they make that isnt garbage are trucks. When the only good thing you can make are trucks you are kind of screwed, especially when it takes me $100 a week to fill mine up with gas.

I don't know much about cars, but isn't the majority of people now going for SUV's?
    And isn't a truck closer to SUV, than a car is? I'd assume American SUV's are fine, but I don't have any proof on that.

When I was picking a car, 12 years ago, I looked into American cars, but ended up with a corolla, it had the best value + features that I was looking for. But you seem to look for cars way out of my price range. What about Camaro? you might enjoy that one.

"I don't know much about cars, but isn't the majority of people now going for SUV's?"

Sure, but todays SUVs doesn't drink a gallon per mile.. They're more like a Ford Focus in a huge casing.

Those aren't decent cars those are overpriced dreams.

there are some very nice quality american cars, you just have to shop around. i'm currently driving a chevrolet malibu maxx which sits on the Saab 9-3 chassis. i purchased it in '06 and could not be happier. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/che...-ss-auto-shows

are benz, bmw and vw overpriced dreams? what world do you live in

If companies made products that lasted, they couldn't sell you another one for a while.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

I just started watching the bbc top gear on netflix and ffs. I totally agree and this is dating back to 2004(on series 4 atm)

Just watched an Aston beat a bullet train over long distance and it made me want to make $150,000 to buy one and love it. There is also those jaguar XJ which I wouldn't mind driving around here. Most of the criminals in this area are so dumb, they wouldn't know what it was or what it was worth.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you bothered to actually look you'd see that American car makers, in particular GM and Ford are making critically acclaimed cars and making gains on their competitors.

Why are only luxury cars listed anyway as a qualifier for 'decent' cars? Not everyone drives around a 120 grand Ferrari wondering why Ford hasn't put out a competitor to them.

I don't know about America, but I know China makes horrible cars. We had to watch this documentary on China in my Sociology course, and to help China's economy, the Chinese government allowed American car companies to set up factories in China. While the cars there resemble the American models on the outside, they are like 50 years behind, technologically, on the insides. Apparently this is one of the reason China produces more pollution than any other developed country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Why are only luxury cars listed anyway as a qualifier for 'decent' cars? Not everyone drives around a 120 grand Ferrari wondering why Ford hasn't put out a competitor to them.
    since when are VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes luxury cars?^^

Quote Originally Posted by Abba View Post
    in middle class america audi, bmw, and mercedes are generally considered luxury cars/status symbols. vw i'm not sure where that came from as they seem extremely reasonably priced.

Deleted
    the German automobile industry is by far setting the standards nowadays, even the top brands all have cars that are affordable (by middle-class families at least), like the Audi A4, BMW 3 and 5 series, and Mercedes C and E-Class. All these vehicles possess superior quality, no need to go for their flagships.

VW is a similar in quality (but a bit behind the big Three: Audi, Mercedes, BMW) and is cheaper because it lacks the prestige, that's all.

I'm driving a Mercedes C320 from 2005, I have over 200.000 miles on it and have been to the repair-shop only once and that was not the car's "fault" (flat tire).
    I would immediately buy it again.
    Last edited by mmocff0656c405; 2012-03-29 at 01:28 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abba View Post
    I understand you may not be from the states but these have always been considered luxury cars. Minus VW.

Besides, this list

But every single decent car made either comes from Japan (Lexus), Germany (Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, and VW), Italy (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati), or England (Jaguar, Lotus, Ashton Martin, Bentley, and Rolls Royce)
    included a lot more than that example that keeps getting tossed around. The OP is misleading anyway, as its more to do with asking why the states doesn't produce expensive sports or luxury cars on as grand a scale, which has more to do with brand recognition and market saturation. It's not feasible to randomly produce market and sell a 100 grand super car when theres such a tiny market for them with such well established brands.
    Last edited by Illuwin; 2012-03-29 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whyusocrazy View Post
    Those aren't decent cars those are overpriced dreams.
    VW Polo overpriced dream XD

As far as I know there is simply too much competition. Why should they focus on a market which is completely ruled by Germany?

The only American company which I know and is worth mentioning is Ford and they have quite the marketshare in America

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Why does the US not make any decent cars. Sure we have the best trucks coming from Ford and GM but a lot of people would probably prefer a car especially with the way gas prices are. But we really only have one decent car brand in Cadillac and I was skeptical to toss them out because of all the problems I have had with mine and I still dont put them on the same level as a 750 BMW or a S class Mercedes.

Its no wonder Detroit is doing so badly the only thing they make that isnt garbage are trucks. When the only good thing you can make are trucks you are kind of screwed, especially when it takes me $100 a week to fill mine up with gas.
    Well, I actually work in the car industry producing big parts of to all of the car brands you mentioned ( minus a few ).

I can tell you that for one, we make the car parts for Ford and GM trucks here in Sweden.

Also, we produce both US and EU parts to several of the brands ( e.g. Audi US and Audi EU, BMW US and BMW EU ), yes they actually use different parts in european and us cars, and the major difference is that the US parts are alot thicker, heavier and bigger. Thay lack the finesse, its all about the size, which is a major reason why I believe the US cars are lacking behind the EU cars, they are way heavier than they need to be and not so thought through.

P.s. small secret Mazda and Ford use the same parts.
    Never buy an Audi
    Bentley FTW ( By far the best car parts we produce ), to bad they are expensive

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    VW Polo overpriced dream XD
    I hate making Polo! They never turn out as they should, just a plain pain in the ass.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2012-03-29 at 01:33 PM.

Deleted
    Fun fact: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborgini, Porsche, Seat and Skoda all are owned by Volkswagen and Rolls Royce is owned by BMW

I dont really know anything about cars so I may be mistaken, but arent Lincolns high quality american cars?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account

I don't even know where to start. You don't put Cadillac on the same level as a 750 BWM? A 750 BWM is a fucking $90k car, of course they aren't on the same level.

I think may have poorly chosen your words. You aren't talking about decent cars, you are talking about high end luxury cars or sports cars. The only cars you'll even find from the US that cost over $90k is the Corvette ZR1 or a Viper. Look a little lower and you'll find Cadillac CTS-Vs (which are amazing), Escalades (which are ridiculous), Corvettes, and high end Mustangs.

But I completely disagree with your assessment that anything that isn't a truck is garbage. Ford and GM have a ton of great vehicles out there and are the top in auto sales in the US.

I'm just struggling to see where you are coming from. You list off Lexus, Benz, BWM, Audi, Porsche, BW, Ferrari, Lamborghini........ so you are referring to crazy expensive cars. Yes, US automakers do not provide many choices of crazy expensive cars. Shame on us?

Chevrolet, GMC, Ford, Cadillac, Dodge don't ring a bell?
    Chevrolet and Ford are superior cars in Price/Quality segment.
    Damn my father's Chevy Tahoe just rip into pieces every possible Toyota, Benz, VW offroads.
    Frod Mustang, Challenger, Charger >> any european tuner car.