Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm going to try my hand at this.. I need to do some reading though, as I only know cursory cultural info for the Charr, and I always prefer to use proper source material when writing for just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I'm going to try my hand at this.. I need to do some reading though, as I only know cursory cultural info for the Charr, and I always prefer to use proper source material when writing for just about anything.
    the charr week articles might be useful for you:

http://www.arena.net/blog/creating-t...r-starter-area

is the first one.. they all go pretty in depth about the "feel" of the race.

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-legions-of-the-charr

as for my own character, he will be a direct descendant of my gw1 warrior Prosper Kurzick (name slightly changed to be more rp friendly) and a norn he befriended. class currently undecided..

though once reknowned for their heroism the family has since fallen on hard times. mocked for their human blood and seeming weakness they have tried to bury much of Prospers legacy. when he travels to lions arch on a trading trip he uncovers a fragment of Prospers story that will inspire him to seek glory and not be ashamed of his heritage.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-05-01 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally decided upon some race/prof combos, and think I'll take a stab at my Sylvari Elementalist.
    As I'm not entirely familiar with sylvari culture or the sylvari story, this may be heavily tweaked once I actually see the personal story, but the overall set-up will essentially be the same.

Nadriel (if the name is taken when I make him, I may pick Nadriel Silvercloak or perhaps Nadriel the Silver) - Sylvari Elementalist - Nadriel was born in the Cycle of Noon during the winter season, the first sylvari of that winter season, during a heavy snowstorm. When he emerged from the golden fruit of the Pale Tree and first laid eyes on the firstborn awaiting him, he lashed out in fear, conjuring shards of ice from thin air without understanding how.

When they had finally calmed him down, he explained that before he'd awoken, he'd been experiencing a terrible nightmare. He'd come across a group of sylvari in thorn-covered armor who were viciously attacking a helpless traveler, for no reason. As he rushed to aid her, the vicious sylvari instead turned upon him, taking great joy in inflicting intense pain. When he'd woken, he could still feel echoes of the pain. He spent many days in the Grove, meditating on the lingering memories from his Dream... and mostly on the terrible nightmare he had experienced within.
    The mentors had a hard time convincing him to leave behind the nightmare and forget the pain, explaining that it was not a true vision of the Dream, but merely perpetrated by the Nightmare Court in an attempt to sway him from his true destiny. Nadriel would stubbornly proclaim that he was shown these visions for some purpose - that this clearly was his Wyld Hunt. He still thinks of this nightmare as his first lesson in trust and betrayal, even though it did not originate from the Dream itself. This has led him to be cautious and introverted in nature, more secretive, rarely opening up even to other sylvari, unlike the others born in his Cycle. Even when walking in the Grove, he covers his form with a heavy cloak grown from silver leaves, as though covering himself with storm clouds.

He was finally convinced to turn his meditations elsewhere by Malomedies - who explained that after recovering from his encounter with the Asura, he turned his mind to studying the stars, explaining the importance of focusing on the here and now. Nadriel remembered then the elemental magic he had unleashed upon his emergence and, asking about it, was told it meant he had a natural affinity for the elements. He is not the first Elementalist of his people, but he spent many days in the Grove trying to master this power on his own, refusing to seek guidance from others, even from mentors or the Firstborn. He felt that the others could not relate to him.

He soon grew frustrated, but it was in this moment of frustration and anger that he was able to call forth ice again, tearing a hole in the wall of the home that had been grown for him. He came to believe then that this elemental magic was fueled by his emotions - especially extremes such as anger, fear, and hatred. He spent time trying to master this, to channel his emotions into bending the elements to his will... fire, water, earth, and air. He gained some small control over his magic, but still he struggled to control it. It seemed as though something were holding him back, and he felt capable of so much more.
    So he turned to the only one he felt he could trust in this matter - Mother. He traveled to the Omphalos Chamber in highest boughs of the Grove during the Cycle of Night, where the avatar of the Pale Tree resided. He asked for guidance in the elemental magic that he could feel within his blood, and yet seemed so difficult to master. For a time, the Pale Tree did not answer - the avatar of the Pale Tree seemed to be lost in thought, but did eventually answer.

I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity.

He stared up at the avatar as he took this in, confusion furrowing his brow before he responded. "I know nothing of serenity... I know only what was shown me in the Dream." But Mother said nothing more, leaving him to his thoughts, and he returned home before sunrise. He spent many more Cycles thinking about the simple message Mother gave him, and eventually came to a decision that was all too easy for him - it was time to leave the Grove. He didn't need to take much with him. He grew a fresh set of clothes, and gathered some basic traveling gear and food, all during the Cycle of Night. It seemed much easier to move about unnoticed in the dark, when most sylvari were resting.

Yet as he was leaving, another of the firstborn was waiting for him: Caithe. She was not there to stop him, however.. she merely smiled at the younger sylvari, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You need not explain yourself, young Nadriel, least of all to me. 'Where life goes, so too should you.'"
    Nadriel eyed her suspiciously. "If you do not plan to stop me, then what is it you want?" He could feel her amusement, through the empathic bond all sylvari share.
    She regarded his face for a few moments before responding, her voice quiet, "While on this Wyld Hunt of yours, do not lose yourself. The real nightmare is still out there, threatening all that lives."
    Nadriel looked out beyond the border of the Grove, and turned his eyes to the moon up in the sky, bathing the night with silver. "And yet even in the deepest darkness, one can always find a light to guide you." He turned then as he felt the handle of a dagger pressed into his hand.
    "There's hope for you yet. Maybe you'll find your serenity." And with that she left him to his thoughts, and the simple dagger in his hand, ice forming over the blade.

---

Yes, I was lame enough to borrow a movie quote. I happen to enjoy that line dammit! Besides, the sylvari as a race seem extremely obsessed with little pieces of wisdom like that. I wanted an elementalist whose power came from emotions, and figured it was fitting. I wonder how many of you can recognize the video game quote I used.

I originally was going to have him born in the Cycle of Night, but then I figured... if he's going to be deeply affected by the nightmare, it should be more prominent. Thus, he's born in the Cycle of Noon, but he's become like those born in the Cycle of Night because of the nightmare, twisting the Pale Tree's design. No idea just how old I should make Nadriel, but I'm given to understand that the sylvari we make in game are freshly emerged from the Dream of Dreams (as the starting zone), and so aren't even a full year old.

As short as this is, it took me hours to solidify it, simply because I needed to actually do some reading on Sylvari culture and backstory - what little there is.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 03:34 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    you'll all be pleased to hear ive started writing glytch's story

fun times ahead indeed
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    you'll all be pleased to hear ive started writing glytch's story
    Will this one use correct grammar and punctuation? :P

Just saying, most of your posts don't!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Will this one use correct grammar and punctuation? :P

Just saying, most of your posts don't!
    punctuation is only used when its absolutely needed

and at least i use the correct versions of to/too/two, there/their/they're, and your/your'e unlike most people

as for the story ill focus on the important part (you know, the words and meaning) and let open office take care of the typos and punctuation

also: glytch comma splices where glytch pleases
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    also: glytch comma splices where glytch pleases
    M'kay Mundo!

Deleted
    I am not a RP'er but I do usally give my char's some kinda back story, makes them more intresting for me to play as I understand the why and where of my char's.

But the problem I see with writing a back story in GW2 is the personal story may conflict, though you can ignore the personal story for a RP session its something that bugs me a little. To give example (without spoiler hopefuly) I had someting planed for my human necro's parents (unknown parents option) but after watching part of the personal story; it unfolds in a way I was not planing and made my back story make no sense and worse it didn't seem to fit in with the essense of my char.

Deleted
    Although most people know, yes, my character has a story. It's about to be knocked off the first page, and is a work in progress =3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalBoot View Post
    I am not a RP'er but I do usally give my char's some kinda back story, makes them more intresting for me to play as I understand the why and where of my char's.
    Most of the time, it's fairly easy to work around that.

Yes and I slay Zhaitan single handedly in it.

Oi, much as I love RP I haven't spent as much time developing my character as I think I should have... still, I think I can afford to procrastinate a few months before release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Shouldnt post at 3am, yeah.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2012-05-21 at 02:42 AM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    My paladin does... my priest is just sort of 'there' and exists as a IDGAF forsaken.

But yeah I typed my paladins one on the official forum, not enthused enough to write it again here but it's fairly easy to follow. So yes, my main character has a story.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're in the wrong forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    My paladin does... my priest is just sort of 'there' and exists as a IDGAF forsaken.

But yeah I typed my paladins one on the official forum, not enthused enough to write it again here but it's fairly easy to follow. So yes, my main character has a story.
    tip: go to forum filters and turn off gw2
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    tip: go to forum filters and turn off gw2
    meh, at least it was on topic lol...

---------- Post added 2012-05-19 at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Oi, much as I love RP I haven't spent as much time developing my character as I think I should have... still, I think I can afford to procrastinate a few months before release.
    lol i'm in the same boat as you, hell i tend to not make a story for my character until i've played them a fairly good amount
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Here's something I wrote just now. It's more of a general story rather than one involving the characters I'll be playing in-game, but I've had the idea in my head for quite some time now. Give me feedback, please! I plan on writing a lot more.

We fell. I don’t know where from, but I knew we were falling. It was an incredible feeling; a wind unlike anything else wrapped itself around the entirety of my body, grasping at me as if it were trying to catch me. I felt warmth on my back; wait, was that the sun? And all I could smell was… nothingness. I couldn’t think of how it was possible, but we were in the sky. I knew it. My eyes stayed shut, lips pulled into a smile as the thin streams of air tickled across them.

“Mel!” a voice cried out, not in excitement, but in panic. “Melrose!” it screamed again.

My eyes began to open slowly, as if I had just woken up, but my dream had been brought to life. Though, it would be more accurate to call it a nightmare. Darkness was the first thing I saw. Then splashes of grey – no, white. It was night time, and I laughed as my theory proved to be true. We were indeed in the sky, falling fast. Very fast. Into… mountains?! My eyes snapped open, fully alert and aware.

“Melrose, please!” came the voice again, riddled with even more fear. It was Arthur.

My body twisted as I jerked to face him. He was several yards away, his coat shivering violently in the wind as it too tried to catch him. If only it could, I thought. “Arthur!” I finally shouted back, attempting to lunge towards him, my feet pushing back against nothing. I hardly moved. The once calming openness began to seem more and more like merciless quicksand sucking us down as we slipped through the sky. The mountains were getting bigger, closer. “I’ve got you!” I lied, doing my best to stay calm as we neared our deaths. Then I remembered something. It’s night, how could I have been feeling the sun? I twisted again, looking up. You had to be joking. Arthur and I weren’t alone. At least seven destroyers had rushed through the portal after us, and they seemed dead set on ending our lives before theirs did. Their magma skin glowed a harsh yellow, burning hotter as the rush of air whipped around their bodies, turning them nearly white. I looked back to Arthur and watched as sadness replaced his worried expression. It could only be due to me adopting his state of panic, possibly for the first time ever. But as we watched one another fall, I noticed something else. My steel dagger. I had given it to him before we entered the cave, accompanied with the lie that it’d save his life were he ever in danger. Though, it wasn’t much of a lie anymore. I stretched my right arm out towards him, swiping my left hand down it in one quick motion, and then squeezing it into a fist as I felt the solid magnetic ping against my palm. “Gotchya,” I whispered softly, pulling my hand back swiftly, and bringing Arthur and I together at once. He clutched onto me, crawling onto my back as I looked to the destroyers, and then down to the mountains. Mere seconds was all that separated the two now. “Hold on,” I warned him, waiting for his feet to lock around my waist before I extended my hands out. Gusts of wind wrapped around my forearms, funneling their power into my hands as I searched the mountains for a safe place to land. There! I could see a massive bank of snow that would be an easy target to hit if I could just get closer. A pulse of air shot from my right hand, jolting us closer, but not close enough. I was running out of time. Arthur gripped my coat tighter as he braced himself for impact. A second pulse. Damn! A third. The icy chill of snow swallowed us as we suddenly crashed into the bank at an angle. I jerked my arms up, crossing them over my face as I sloppily channeled into the jagged rock that hid beneath the whiteness, burrowing deeper and deeper until we finally slowed and then stopped. Silence. We were alive... but whether or not we were safe was another question.
    Last edited by Laste; 2012-05-20 at 12:22 PM.

Deleted
    My character (Sylvari) doesn't have much of a backstory, she's only 6 months old - fresh out of the pod. She was born in the night cycle and she likes wildness, water and dirt. She hates farms with a passion, she feels that they are prison camps for plants and an offence against nature.

Deleted
    My charr will be very old and extremly racist to the midget race and the tree people because they're disgusting and should be removed from the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomzter View Post
    My charr will be very old and extremly racist to the midget race and the tree people because they're disgusting and should be removed from the game
    Well that's just rude. :O!