Deleted

[Movies] Jurassic Park and special effects!

I just finished my annual movie marathon which consist of SW 1-3,SW 4-6,Matrix triology, Lotr triology, Avatar and Jurassic park.
    In this movie bundle of awsome CGI and special effect only one of these movies is still breath taking and gives me the chills, Jurassic park!

It's been almost 20 years since i first saw JP and even today after the 938th time im still amazed how wonderful CGI and effects it have.
    Nothing even compares to it! Well, Avatar is absolutely stunning, but... i can still tell im looking at something made by a computer.
    With JP i can't except from the notion dinosaurs been extinct for 65my.
    I've yet to see anything in the same class as JP and im quite disappointed to be honest. Why don't more movies adopt animatronics and whatever CGI miracle the JP crew performed?
    Last edited by mmocfd36770ff5; 2012-02-28 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaux View Post
    I just finished my annual movie marathon which consist of SW 1-3,SW 4-6,Matrix triology, Lotr triology, Avatar and Jurassic park.
    In this movie bundle of awsome CGI and special effect only one of these movies is still breath taking and gives me the chills, Jurassic park!

It's been almost 20 years since i first saw JP and even today after the 938th time im still amazed how wonderful CGI and effects it have.
    Nothing even compares to it! Well, Avatar is absolutely stunning, but... i can still tell im looking at something made by a computer.
    With JP i can't except from the notion dinosaurs been extinct for 65my.
    I've yet to see anything in the same class as JP and im quite disappointed to be honest. Why don't more movies adopt animatronics and whatever CGI miracle the JP crew performed?
    The best part? A lot of it wasn't CGI. They were models. Like, real dinosaur models. This would be why you couldn't tell it was a computer. It wasn't.

(edit again: I'll get it right eventually)

theres very little cgi in jurassic park. one scene i can remember is the small dinosaur spitting poison at the fat guy. most of the effects are done with models by some of the best people ever to do that like stan winston. he did the effects in alien and terminator movies too.

Deleted
    I suggest you check out Blade Runner: The Final Cut. The original movie was made 30 years ago without CGI only using models. In 2007 some of the effects were updated and the movie is absolutely gorgeous now, especially on blu-ray (not saying it wasn't beautiful before, it just looked a bit dated which is normal for a 30 year old movie).

Deleted
    Jurassic Park used CGI in the best possible way,

as an augmentation to other special effects. Good CGI is subtle and rarely the center of attention. When it's used it's used in conjunction with animatronics or models that mesh into a realistic visual image.

Recent trends of putting actual CGI on the front-stage is what's giving it a bad reputation.

Something I also appreciated a lot about LotR. Although they made heavy use of CGI, they never made it the center stage and just used to augment scenes into a more epic scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Answer is simple. Spielberg minimized the amount of CGI that was used. He didn't just throw it around when it wasn't necessary like directors do now.