Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Considering rifle ammo isn't that great at puncturing solid steel. ( There is a video of a US solder being shot in the chest from a short distance with a sniper rifle. To back up that claim.) If these are armor plated solders in the alliance, the marines would not be equip to tackle that threat.

Obv 5000 alliance soldiers. Even if only 10% of them were marksmen, that would be enough to tip the tides just with raining down arrows alone. Arrows are more fatal than gunshots if they hit, and with that many marksmen, ya...they're bound to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah except the average alliance army isn't as primitive as people think. They just developed tech differently. When all is said and done i'd say they're actually more advanced than us by a good 20(SUPER conservative estimate more like 100+) years or more than us.
    Alliance technology consists of picking up copper nuggets they find on the ground and stitching together pieces of cloth scavenged from the dead because no one know how to make the stuff. They still haven't invested stirrups, so no fighting from horseback. The engineers haven't invented ladders or ramps, so any obstacle more than three feet high stops them in their tracks - the Marines could put a picket fence around their base, and sleep soundly, knowing that the Alliance army will still be milling around helplessly 50 yards away in the morning. (Yay for non-destructible terrain!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Oh i'm sorry. magically enhansed swords! gasp! I'll dance on their graves while their swords make nice nightlights for the feast we're having. You still have to get in range to use a sword.

That's what a tank and walking fighting mountain are for.

These conversations seem to be just be about magic and swords vs guns. Marines also have thermal imaging, explosives, long range radio communication, etc. In the mountains the marines take the high ground, using thermal optics to identify targets and attack at night. Identifying the magic users would be easy since they're not clad in metal armor, take them out at long range. The infantry counterattack thwarted by automatic weapons fire and claymores. Technology rules supreme in combat.

Also, when you think about it, the marines could press civilians into service and teach them how to use guns. Mages and priests and such are hard to come by. Magic users have to be born, they cannot be trained from someone with no magical talent. on the other hand, any moron can be taught to fire a gun.

The very fact that we are using 5000 alliance soliders against 100 marines should tell you how lopsided this battle is and what a high edge technology gives them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    Alliance technology consists of picking up copper nuggets they find on the ground and stitching together pieces of cloth scavenged from the dead because no one know how to make the stuff. They still haven't invested stirrups, so no fighting from horseback. The engineers haven't invented ladders or ramps, so any obstacle more than three feet high stops them in their tracks - the Marines could put a picket fence around their base, and sleep soundly, knowing that the Alliance army will still be milling around helplessly 50 yards away in the morning. (Yay for non-destructible terrain!)
    LOL someone never played the RTS games. Nah they're tech is quite advanced. A bit mcguyverish i'll admit but quite advanced nonetheless. Besides whoever said i was JUST talking about tech? INCLUDING magic and tech tehy are. We can't create phasing technology yet let alone wormholes and they have BOTH of those down pat. They have AUGMENTED they're tech with magic. So while it LOOKS weaker it is in fact FAR more advanced. Unless you're telling me we have wormholes to all our major capitols as well as the tech to phase out of sync with our universe? They can even create both of those WITHOUT magic(see gnomes).

Deleted
    The 100 marines would win. It wouldn't be an frontal assault that wouldn't make sense, it would be something like an ambush. Marine snipers would drop all the Alliance healers and mages at 800+ yards. They wouldn't even know where the shots are coming from. It would be a massacre for the Alliance. 5000 troops on a narrow mountain road it would turn into a turkey shoot from the get-go. Marines are marksmen which means they aim their weapons quite well and can sit back wait for the snipers to do their job then start picking off people one by one at 300 yards or more. By the time the alliance even got close to the marines most of them would be dead.

Swords vs rifles. I think I know which one I would choose.

Deleted
    MMo-Champion > Forum > world of warcraft > General Discussions > bla bla bla.

How can this be related to WoW? the mages and the healers? :P

Technology is just, nullified by magic. 1 mage would be sufficient to wipe out a hundred marines.

mage/warlocks summon unkillable water elemental and inferos, unkillable by bullets that is and there goes the 100 marines.

Quote Originally Posted by EviLm0nk3y View Post
    The 100 marines would win. It wouldn't be an frontal assault that wouldn't make sense, it would be something like an ambush. Marine snipers would drop all the Alliance healers and mages at 800+ yards. They wouldn't even know where the shots are coming from. It would be a massacre for the Alliance. 5000 troops on a narrow mountain road it would turn into a turkey shoot from the get-go. Marines are marksmen which means they aim their weapons quite well and can sit back wait for the snipers to do their job then start picking off people one by one at 300 yards or more.

Amen! that's what i've been talking about

Quote Originally Posted by sinfulpotato View Post
    Considering rifle ammo isn't that great at puncturing solid steel. ( There is a video of a US solder being shot in the chest from a short distance with a sniper rifle. To back up that claim.) If these are armor plated solders in the alliance, the marines would not be equip to tackle that threat.
    US body armor isn't steel, it's Kevlor fiber reinforced with boron carbide ceramic plates. Punching holes through steel is quite easy, and has been long before we started using those messy gunpowder tube-things (look up Agincourt and Crécy). The AP ammo being fired from the Marines will probably go through two or three rows of Alliance heavy infantry.

marines throws nuke, alliance dies...

end of story :9
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Magically ENHANCED swords. They also use tanks,Subs,Guns,Choppers,AERIAL WARSHIPS and MANY other things as well.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:15 PM ----------

In game for US. In the RTS i;d say the actual military mages have a MUCH longer range.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:16 PM ----------

I agree with both of you. The OFFENSIVE capacity of a mage is probably up there. HOWEVER the defensive is not.

1. Now if we were talking mages from some anime/manga like Negima THEN i;d argue they;re stringer by far but we're not so moot point.
    Yes they use Tanks, Submarines, Aerial vehicles, etc. but the ones the Alliance and Horde use aren't even close to as technological advanced as today's standards.

2. If a mage actually did have range of a sniper rifle, don't you think the results would be much different when Archimonde destroyed Dalaran, and they obviously saw that 20 foot tall demon sitting at the mountain nearby. I could say the same for other scenarios. It also takes a lot from a mage to become really efficient and effective in combat, if they just spammed firebolt, maybe, but after probably 6 fireballs they would be exhausted, like you said they added mana and such for the RTS part of the game and to balance out classes. You don't here of Jaina or any other powerful mage continuously spamming spells.

3. No. I cannot agree with you at all on this statement. A warlock with WMD's? Does he even know the power of WMD's? And an arcane mage is on par with a Destroyer gunship? I almost died of laughter on this one. Not even Jaina is on par with a Destroyer gunship, it will take a whole army of her troops to take it down, and even if they do succeed on defeating one, when there is one Destroyer, there is usually a flotilla around it. Think of it this way, a Horde Gunship which cannot even be compared to a Destroyer practically destroyed all of Theramore. What do you think a Destroyer with tons of rockets would do? Jaina wouldn't even have time to escape.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    The AP ammo being fired from the Marines will probably go through two or three rows of Alliance heavy infantry.
    This is another good reason why marines would win imagine a couple of .50 CAL's opening up on a army forced into a narrow mountain pass. Especially when 1 .50 CAL round could probably take down 3 people or more in that kind of environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    mage/warlocks summon unkillable water elemental and inferos, unkillable by bullets that is and there goes the 100 marines.
    Possibly unkillable by bullets, but what about rocket launchers and grenades?
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

Lol comparing US marines to pixels.
    I lol rather hard at you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    These conversations seem to be just be about magic and swords vs guns. Marines also have thermal imaging, explosives, long range radio communication, etc. In the mountains the marines take the high ground, using thermal optics to identify targets and attack at night. Identifying the magic users would be easy since they're not clad in metal armor, take them out at long range. The infantry counterattack thwarted by automatic weapons fire and claymores. Technology rules supreme in combat.

Also, when you think about it, the marines could press civilians into service and teach them how to use guns. Mages and priests and such are hard to come by. Magic users have to be born, they cannot be trained from someone with no magical talent. on the other hand, any moron can be taught to fire a gun.

The very fact that we are using 5000 alliance soliders against 100 marines should tell you how lopsided this battle is and what a high edge technology gives them.
    Not really I'd say even 5,000 of the alliance general military VS a FULLY capable 5,000 marines would still let alliance win.

And as for night vision NE has that naturally. The problem as i see it here is ALOT of people see this as just a human VS human conflict when we're have non human species like NE or Worgen fighting. Let alone Druids who can change shape or summon tornadoes(yes this is a basic skill for druids of the talon) and dwarves who can become like stone. Then we have metals that would make steel look like hot butter. We have native trained species that can phase out of the material plane. And umm oh yeah the whole "they have swords we guns hurr" thing doesn't work because again THEY DO HAVE GUNS. Then planes THEY DO HAVE PLANES. Then the bombs why BOTHER with a bomb when you can SUMMON A FREAKING METEOR THAT THEN BECOMES A RAMPAGING PILE OF HOT EARTHEN DEATH.

I mean really people this is ALLIANCE not HUMANS vs the marianes. Just humans sure i could quite possibly give you that one depending on their tech. But as it is the gnomes and dwarves have provided them with tech even better in more than a few ways than ours today is IRL.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EviLm0nk3y View Post
    The 100 marines would win. It wouldn't be an frontal assault that wouldn't make sense, it would be something like an ambush. Marine snipers would drop all the Alliance healers and mages at 800+ yards. They wouldn't even know where the shots are coming from. It would be a massacre for the Alliance. 5000 troops on a narrow mountain road it would turn into a turkey shoot from the get-go. Marines are marksmen which means they aim their weapons quite well and can sit back wait for the snipers to do their job then start picking off people one by one at 300 yards or more. By the time the alliance even got close to the marines most of them would be dead.

Hmm yeah i;d choose the side with the skills to not just heal me but bring me back from the dead. And again SWORDS ARE NOT THEY'RE ONLY WEAPON.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfPanzerkin View Post
    Obv 5000 alliance soldiers. Even if only 10% of them were marksmen, that would be enough to tip the tides just with raining down arrows alone. Arrows are more fatal than gunshots if they hit, and with that many marksmen, ya...they're bound to hit.
    Perhaps back in the day when they replaced bows with muskets, but as of right now, an assault rifle and sniper rifle bullet would do much more damage then an arrow. They also have a far better range and better accuracy. The only type of guns you see in Warcraft are muskets.