Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Counters to Yorick top?

Hi, Aside from mana starving him and praying that he pushes and overextends what are good champs to counter Yorick top solo lane?

Deleted
    Trundle OWNS his ass due to his passive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melee w/good sustain 7 gap closers (damage also). Tryndamere, Renekton, Lee Sin, Riven (Less sustain more flat out kill Yorick). Irelia used to be amazing, not sure after nerf though.

Trundle I would say meh. The heal from ghouls is actually very very small and I think he lacks the straight up damage to force Yorick out of lane. It's like Nasus against Yorick, great in theory but not so much in execution.
    Last edited by Kurdiern; 2012-04-05 at 07:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Melee w/good sustain 7 gap closers (damage also). Tryndamere, Renekton, Lee Sin, Riven (Less sustain more flat out kill Yorick). Irelia used to be amazing, not sure after nerf though.

Trundle I would say meh. The heal from ghouls is actually very very small and I think he lacks the straight up damage to force Yorick out of lane. It's like Nasus against Yorick, great in theory but not so much in execution.
    Then I'm doing something very wrong. If I don't kill him by lvl 3 on my riven he can just completely zone me out by before lvl 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like Nasus against Yorick, great in theory but not so much in execution.
    Thing is, that lane would just turn into a farm fest pretty much. Which you'll much rather have as Nasus than Yorick. Additionally, Yorick is easier to gank (with Wither + Jungler) than the other way round.

As to Trundle, Ghouls are not the only thing you are healing from. Minion Waves heal Trundle as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrisen View Post
    Then I'm doing something very wrong. If I don't kill him by lvl 3 on my riven he can just completely zone me out by before lvl 6.
    Riven can win nearly every trade early game thanks to her amazing passive. You need to pressure/kill him before he gets a tear/manamune and can spam.

@ Dulliath:

I was more talking of conjectures. Like people saying "Oh, Nasus does great against Yorick since he can Q the ghouls!" In truth you won't have the mana too Q the ghouls every CD early level & it's much better to Q the minions anyway, meaning that the advantage that seemed logical isn't that great.

It's the same with Trundle, his passive heals off the targets health. Ghouls only have 1/3rd of Yorick's health. If we assume Yorick has 800 health (Around 5-6 ish), then Trundle heals for only 5.333 per ghoul. The health gain is not noticeable in the least considering the ghoul will get off an autoattack for decent damage. The ghouls really don't give him that extra edge that people think it does.

Deleted
    It's the same with Trundle, his passive heals off the targets health. Ghouls only have 1/3rd of Yorick's health. If we assume Yorick has 800 health (Around 5-6 ish), then Trundle heals for only 5.333 per ghoul. The health gain is not noticeable in the least considering the ghoul will get off an autoattack for decent damage. The ghouls really don't give him that extra edge that people think it does.
    I just wanted to rage at you, coz I was 100% sure that Trundles passive heals him based on percentage of HIS max health pool. Than I was like, man, that would be op, how the pluck did I menage to kill all those Trundle on top, while spinning to win.

Checked out wiki. Facepalmed myself. Thank you for opening my eyes!

Try out Cho'Gath, Vladimir, and Maokai.
    All of them have great sustain, great harass, and awesome farming potential. Same as Yorick.

I've had good experiences with Udyr top vs Yorick. Max w and get some early armor.

Starting with Cloth armor into ninja tabbies (they are so cheap that you can still sell them later if u have to but they are amazing) and wriggles. You can outlast him if you attack the ghuls in turtle stance. That way they die faster and you heal the damage they dealt in the stohrt time they were alive.

I kinda like Pantheon vs Yorick. He has an amazing poke, and if you grab yourself a Philo stone before you get your Brutalizer, you won't run oom or low on health any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ki View Post
    I just wanted to rage at you, coz I was 100% sure that Trundles passive heals him based on percentage of HIS max health pool.
    Thankfully, no. That's why Trundle heals an absolute crapton after killing Baron (or, to a lesser extend) Dragon.

Kurdiern, there's one flaw with your calculation: Trundle's passive scales. Same situation as you mentioned above, Trundle would be healing for 7.2 per ghoul.

Other than that, it's more a case of simply not getting removed from the lane by Yorick. Trundle can last hit on a Turret perfectly fine with his Q. His Pillar and Contamination will let him get to Yorick easily if the Jungler shows up, without burning a summoner. Yorick will probably -have- to hit Ghost to hightail it out of there. He's fairly susceptible to ganks.
    In addition to the above mentioned regen from ghouls, he'd also get ~9 health for a single caster minion that dies and ~14 for a single melee minion.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-04-05 at 12:54 PM.

Hmmm I play yorick top often and the only thing that really hard conters me is a Mord who rushes wota/gunblade or a very skilled panth.

only person ive lost top to as yorick was riven, wukong was close due to his high poke but after i killed him twice i out item'ed him

Singed <3
    10chars
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Not really.
    Watch Dyrus, and then you'll get a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Watch Dyrus, and then you'll get a clue.
    From Dyrus' own guide then:

Annoying to face against, but you end up not being able to kill each other.

Hoes does akali do against yor? I have yet to play one in top as akali

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    From Dyrus' own guide then:
    Boo, should of watched last night's stream.
    Is not a problem that you can't kill eachother IMO, Yorick is annoying to play against as any champion I might think.
    He said on his stream that the only real 'counter' to Singed is Rumble, but not so sure if Rumble completely beats Singed (or Yorick), or if it's really player-dependant.

The fact that X champion can't kill you is a good thing if you want to look at it that way.

I play Yorick top all of the time, and I can say that Tryndamere, Renekton, Lee Sin, and Riven are all easy as long as you play passive until lvl2 or 3, then you can zone them out. Trundle is the hardest because of his passive and he lowers your damage across the board. Cho'gath can be hard too because of his high burst and his silence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't generally watch streams. I prefer to play myself instead. Watched one stream only for a while, but forgot which that was. It was Red-tagged a while ago with one of the (CLG?) folk pretty much stream-of-consciousness commenting on what he was doing and why. Far more interesting than most of the raging kids.

As an example: Dyrus' mere use of language in that guide already turned me off from wanting to watch him play.

Far as I gathered, Yorick has the most problems with Udyrs that know what they're doing. Don't generally see those a lot in top lane though, whenever I encounter them, they seem to be jungling.