Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question about Corsair H100

Guys, for everyone here with a Corsair H100, do you guys have problems with the sound output of the device?

I'm not talking about the fans, but about the pump itself. It seems like a LOT of people are experiencing this weird grinding noise... :

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...=97733&page=15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZ4Tq5BxdE

Go to youtube and search for "H100 noise" and look at all the results.. I'm not sure if I should get one now

Deleted
    Please don't derail the major threads with off-topic discussion; it's super easy to create a separate thread.

Thanks.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know after seeing all the posts and everything I'm wondering if maybe people should call up Corsair tech support and see how widespread the issue is and see if Corsair has any remedies.

Otherwise, inb4 H100s recalled? >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    They are more prone to "pumpnoise" than a custom loop pump but tbh it also costs less. Have my H70 for 17 months now and ye it did make "pumpnoise" at some point but it went away fairly quick and still working fine, but was worried after seeing the same vids for it on youtube as there are now for the H100.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Please don't derail the major threads with off-topic discussion; it's super easy to create a separate thread.

Thanks.
    Oh, well I figured I was making too much threads lately, so that I would just post this in an existing thread where people were talking about watercooling..

This is fine too :P

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You know after seeing all the posts and everything I'm wondering if maybe people should call up Corsair tech support and see how widespread the issue is and see if Corsair has any remedies.

The only Corsair Post I found where they acknowledged a big issue is a small batch where the fan controller didn't work and everything just spinned at max RPM.

I don't see any Corsair Employee posting about this issue though. There is a 31 page thread about it on the official forums and if I google it a LOT of threads on other forums appear as well.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can potentially fix it by putting an inline BY126 diode on the yellow/12V cable of a molex extension cable.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-03-30 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    I've had mine for a few months and theres no pump noise with mine. The screws attached did come without their head though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    You can potentially fix it by putting an inline BY126 diode on the yellow/12V cable of the molex extension cable.
    Yeah I read about that, but even that doesn't guarantee a fix.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a H100, had problem with the pump sounding like a hdd writing/reading really fast, but louder..
    Sent it in for RMA, got a new one within a few days..
    Replaced the stock fans with a pair of Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans, and i barely hear the pump nor the fans..

10+ Year Old Account
    Always better to make new forum threads.... so long as they aren't stupid threads like "hey guyz, what do you think of Intel vs AMD?!"

Or other such spam. :P

Surprised Corsair hasn't said something more though, this issue really seems to be getting.... common?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancerot View Post
    I bought a H100, had problem with the pump sounding like a hdd writing/reading really fast, but louder..
    Sent it in for RMA, got a new one within a few days..
    Replaced the stock fans with a pair of Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans, and i barely hear the pump nor the fans..
    Hmmm, I guess you got "lucky" then, on the corsair forums I read some replies of people sending their H100 RMA 4 times and still getting bad ones who emit the weird grinding noise..

Deleted
    Was thinking about getting the H80 but settled for the Noctua NH-D14 this is only due to reading countless posts of pump noise and the fans aint very quiet either from what i have seen.If your not arsed about noise then it aint a problem tho you could always replace the fans as for the pump i have no idea are they sopposed to make a racket?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

I am fairly certain a recall was issued quite some time ago and the issue has since been corrected, however not all stock was shipped back most likely. Not all of the H series cpu coolers had this issue but notably a specific model number produced in early 2011. I wouldnt let this deter you from buying 1 at this point.

I'm also concerned about the pump noise... My H100 is sitting on my desk at home, still in the box, while I wait for IB to be released. If the rumored release date of April 29 is correct, I won't be able to RMA the H100 through Newegg because it will have been 30 days, so I'll have to go through the Corsair RMA process... Definitely an oversight on my part.

But, I'm hoping that the 221 five "egg" reviews compared to the 37 one "egg" reviews mean that I'm more likely to get a good pump instead of a faulty one. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I am fairly certain a recall was issued quite some time ago and the issue has since been corrected
    Apparently not... There's a review on Newegg from March 25 where the guy cites an excessively loud pump. Apparently the noise can be caused if your PSU puts out more than 12V on the rail, so I should be good with my SeaSonic 750.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-30 at 01:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I am fairly certain a recall was issued quite some time ago and the issue has since been corrected, however not all stock was shipped back most likely. Not all of the H series cpu coolers had this issue but notably a specific model number produced in early 2011. I wouldnt let this deter you from buying 1 at this point.
    Do you have a source for that? I can't find a post by Corsair anywhere about this problem, only consumers's posts about this issue.

And like noteworthy said, a lot of these posts are recent, I doubt these are all early 2011 stocks.

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Apparently not... There's a review on Newegg from March 25 where the guy cites an excessively loud pump. Apparently the noise can be caused if your PSU puts out more than 12V on the rail, so I should be good with my SeaSonic 750.
    Doesn't every PSU have a 12V rail?
    Some people found out that it can be solved by putting ( like kidsafe said ) a diode on the molex connector so it puts out less than 12V.

It seems to have fixed the problem for some, but not all people.

All PSUs have a 12V rail, yes, but some actually put out more than 12V. For example, the reviewer I mentioned said his PSU puts out 12.3V.

I'm hoping that this is something only cheap PSUs have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    All PSUs have a 12V rail, yes, but some actually put out more than 12V. For example, the reviewer I mentioned said his PSU puts out 12.3V.

I'm hoping that this is something only cheap PSUs have.
    Hmm...I looked it up and the PSU I picked seems to have an output of 12.1V at low load, and 11.9V at high load..? O.o
    http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.ph...4&limitstart=5

As for your PSU, it seems to go over 12V as well:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory2&reid=192

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much all PSUs run above rated voltages at lower loads, and then dip down to rated voltages or just below at high loads. The very best PSUs like the Seasonic Platinum are within 1% of the rated voltages on all major rails, but anything up to 2% is pretty decent. The ATX spec allows for up to 5% leeway so 12.3V is actually well within the lines...

My Antec HCP-850 would sit at 12.3V or so at low loads and that's supposed to be an extremely high-end PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Hmm...I looked it up and the PSU I picked seems to have an output of 12.1V at low load, and 11.9V at high load..? O.o
    http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.ph...4&limitstart=5

As for your PSU, it seems to go over 12V as well:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory2&reid=192
    Mind saving me the pain of navigating that website, no search box, REALLY?!

And look up the Seasonic X660 Gold? :3 I'm interested to see how it does.
    "A flower.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    HardOCP reviewed the X-660 and its 12V rail hit 12.15V at 26% load and dipped down to 12.02V at max load. Very good results in general, and expected for the revised X-Series platform.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/03/2...upply_review/4