Wifi router & adapter speeds

Hi ^^

I don't understand too much about wifi connections and the different types available. I will say first what I have.

The router I currently have is this one (sorry the webpage is in spanish, but I couldn't find the same router in the english web) netgear. es/productos/consumo/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WGR614.aspx#

It works with networks 802.11g/b, up to 54Mbps and WAN 10/100 Mbps.

I also have a wifi adapter : netgear. es/productos/consumo/adaptador-inalambrica/simplesharing/WG111.aspx#

Adapter USB 2.0 wireless 54 Mbps 802.11g

And I have a 10MB connection with my ISP.

Since I have seen some routers and adapters up to 300Mbps,
    I would want to know (if someone can help me) if the router and/or the adapter are fast enough to handle the 10MB speed, or if, in case I get 20 or 50MB with my ISP, I would need to improve them.

Thank you for the answers ^^

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Posese View Post
    Hi ^^

I don't understand too much about wifi connections and the different types available. I will say first what I have.

The router I currently have is this one (sorry the webpage is in spanish, but I couldn't find the same router in the english web) netgear. es/productos/consumo/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WGR614.aspx#

It works with networks 802.11g/b, up to 54Mbps and WAN 10/100 Mbps.

I also have a wifi adapter : netgear. es/productos/consumo/adaptador-inalambrica/simplesharing/WG111.aspx#

Adapter USB 2.0 wireless 54 Mbps 802.11g

And I have a 10MB connection with my ISP.

Since I have seen some routers and adapters up to 300Mbps,
    I would want to know (if someone can help me) if the router and/or the adapter are fast enough to handle the 10MB speed, or if, in case I get 20 or 50MB with my ISP, I would need to improve them.

Thank you for the answers ^^

Bye!
    10MB or 10Mb? it's a whole world of difference but it should work well both ways
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    802.11g is pretty much only capable of 54mbps in theory and in reality you'll see about 20-25mbps in a best case scenario. If you want the absolute best wireless performance, you should get a dual-band 802.11n router and client adapters. 802.11n not only increase throughput, but has many technologies that increase the range and quality of the signal. If you live in a densely populated neighborhood or apartments, you will want the option of running your network off the 5GHz band.

I mean 10Mbits (they only say "megas" but it's Megabits, not Megabytes)....
    The maximum I can get is 50Mb I think.

So, if I got a 50Mb service from my ISP, the 802.11g wouldn't be able to get more than 20-25Mb, right?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Correct, even in a best case scenario with an 802.11g client right next to a router, I've basically never seen better than 25mbps transfers.

Ok, thanx for the info ^^

Btw, any recommended brand in case I wanted to buy a new router :P?

Deleted
    The D-Link DIR-655 is pretty solid: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127215