Thread: Yor'sahj(h)

Yor'sahj(h)

Could someone please give me their strategy for heroic Yor'sahj. I'm mostly interested when the globs comes out. Most often blue and black come out at the same time, draining my mana and making AOE tougher.

Thanks,
    Karnie

Four of the six possible color combinations have a blue glob:

Black Green Blue Purple (i'd kill black, but green is also viable)
    Green Red Black Blue (kill green)
    Yellow Green Blue Purple (yellow is commonly killed)
    Yellow Black Blue Purple (yellow is commonly killed)

The usual approach for dealing with the mana void is to not kill the first one, you just pop mana regen cooldowns like hymn of hope, mana tide, or personal regen cooldowns (e.g. evocation) once everyone's mana is drained. Then you lower the mana void orb to around 10-15% health. The next time a blue glob comes out, after everyone's mana is empty again, you finish off the first mana void, and get full mana back quite quickly. You repeat with the new mana void, lowering it to around 10-15% health. (Lowering its health is low priority, you just want it around 10% before the next mana void descends, so you can kill it fast then.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming your using the strat where you save the first mana void as a "mana battery" for subsequent blue phases?
    Always save your mana gems for when the mana void finishes draining your mana. We also have one of our priests use Hym of hope to get everyone some mana back.

Also, use mirror image for adds to keep them off you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloodanis View Post
    Damn casuals and their vending machines. Back in my day, We had to go all the way from Orgrimmar to Desolace to pick up chips from the store. we had to do an extensive attunement quest to get into the store and we had to assemble 39 other people to fight the many other trash mobs, i mean trash food, to get to the chip isle. Oh and most of us couldn't even afford our epic car mount to drive there, we had to settle for our 60% bike mounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeerDeth View Post
    Could someone please give me their strategy for heroic Yor'sahj. I'm mostly interested when the globs comes out. Most often blue and black come out at the same time, draining my mana and making AOE tougher.

Thanks,
    Karnie

yup, like he said , save mana gems for each subsequent mana void , on the first one , fully evocate

also, if you have any arms warrior /rogue in your group, the best way to deal with aoe-ing the adds is to slit your wrists, cry cry cry as you watch helplessly how those fiends kill YOUR adds before you even get a lousy fireball ignite to be at least able to combust -.-

Sometimes you have to pop the mana void if you get two moderately high damage combos in a row afterwards or you have to eat a yellow/red/black combo whilst not being at full mana. Then the cycle of using mana cooldowns and killing off blue ones a blob spawn or two afterwards starts anew.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Four of the six possible color combinations have a blue glob:

Black Green Blue Purple (i'd kill black, but green is also viable)
    Green Red Black Blue (kill green)
    Yellow Green Blue Purple (yellow is commonly killed)
    Yellow Black Blue Purple (yellow is commonly killed)

The usual approach for dealing with the mana void is to not kill the first one, you just pop mana regen cooldowns like hymn of hope, mana tide, or personal regen cooldowns (e.g. evocation) once everyone's mana is drained. Then you lower the mana void orb to around 10-15% health. The next time a blue glob comes out, after everyone's mana is empty again, you finish off the first mana void, and get full mana back quite quickly. You repeat with the new mana void, lowering it to around 10-15% health. (Lowering its health is low priority, you just want it around 10% before the next mana void descends, so you can kill it fast then.)
    Bingo. Though, if you have classes that DPS with dots, I would stop DPS at 30-40% now, with the nerfs it dies pretty easily... As hilarious at it is watching it blow up with no DPS anywhere near it. Also, if it's a stack combination and you have a DK, get them to death grip it into the group when it's time to kill it.

Maybe its not the most correct option, but if im getting black I either save a pyro proc (if I get it when we finished kill the globule) or hardcast one instead of praying to the rng gods. As im running with a rogue/warrior/SP as dps, I either get an early pyro/combust/spread or might as well give up.
    As for the mana void, nowadays every dps mostly ignores it, as we run to the kill the next globule if there is going to be another blue the tank and the rogue that always stays on boss bring it to 10% and then both me (with scorch) and the lock (I dont really know what he uses) finish it off.

As a couple ppl mentioned above, make sure the channeling is finished before using a mana gem/evocate.

edit: oh, and make sure you are in range of the mana void, even during a green phase shouldnt be a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggler View Post
    Maybe its not the most correct option, but if im getting black I either save a pyro proc (if I get it when we finished kill the globule) or hardcast one instead of praying to the rng gods.

so hardcasting pyros stops you from praying to the rng crit gods ? O_O

errr....what if that hardcast pryo doesn...well , y'know ...CRIT ?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmiSc View Post
    so hardcasting pyros stops you from praying to the rng crit gods ? O_O
    errr....what if that hardcast pryo doesn...well , y'know ...CRIT ?
    I don't know if you were aware of this, but Pyroblast applies its own DoT 0:
    The idea is you hardcast pyroblast and then pray for a fireball crit before it falls off, because it's less RNG than waiting for two crits for a hot streak proc
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-04-17 at 11:40 AM.

I've found that saving your combustion during any blue-black-? combination works best for me. With Yor'sahj draining your mana, you're not going to have the best luck setting up any good dots for combustion. By the time you do get a couple good crits, it's most likely to late and it will throw off the sync between your combustion and his ooze phases. Instead, I just save my combustion and use blastwave/flamestrike, dragon's breath, and impact to spread dots. I also throw down an extra flamestrike or two for additional AOE while blastwave and dragon's breath come back off of cooldown. Saving combustion for the next add phase allows for a much better setup rather than fishing for crits with little to no mana and the risk of putting your cooldown out of sync with his oozes.

However, if you have a blue-black-? combination first, then try to use combustion as quickly as possible before running out to kill the ooze. This way you can still use combustion and should have plenty of time for it to finish its cooldown for the next ooze phase. If you're mid-fight though, I recommend just saving it as said above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The idea is you hardcast pyroblast and then pray for a fireball crit before it falls off, because it's less RNG than waiting for two crits for a hot streak proc

to a heroic level-mage combustion, the pyro dot means zipp.... >.>
    why you pray for a pyro proc is to stack it with the previous 2 fb crit that generated it , aka stack the ignite from 3 crits

but ....have it your way :P

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post

The best procedure to have almost no RNG problems is to do the following:
    1) As soon as the Forgotten Ones start to spawn, put a LB on 2 of them and 1 LB on the boss to have the 10% Speed increase.
    2) Now Hardcast a Pyroblast on the boss, prepare a Blastwave on the mobs and cast it as soon as the Pyro is on his way. As good as a 100 % chance that Impact is procced now with 9-10 mobs + the boss being hit by the Blastwave/Flamestrike combo
    3) Now start to cast a Fireball and check if the Pyroblast is a crit. Is the Pyro a crit, immediately cast Combustion. Do this with a macro:
    /stop casting
    /cast combustion
    When it is no crit, start another Fireball after the one that is cast. Check again if the fireball is a crit, cast Combustion, and again if needed.
    4) Cast the Fireblast to get the Impact.
    5) Cast another Fireball with a Flamestrike at the end and impact after a crit. Reapply LB when needed on the boss.
    6) repeat step 5 until the Forgotten Ones are all dead.

How much RNG this is easliy tested with numbers.
    Lets us presume you have 45% crit chance for Pyroblast and Fireball.
    This means when you first hardcast Pyro followed by a Fireball and another and if needed another, the chance that one of the 4 is a crit is 100%- the chance of no crit in these 4 casts.
    So the chance for no crits 0.55 * 0.55 * 0.55 * 0,55 = 0,09 means 9% --> so 91% chance that a crit comes from 1 of these 4.
    If you are unlucky cast another Fireball until it crits. When a crit comes, immediately cast Combustion followed by Impact. Reapply LB if needed on the Boss and you are almost sure to have a LB+Ignite from FB or PB+PB and will have a nice Combustion on all the mobs.

There is a nice spot to test this procedure. In Theramore there are 6 Dummies, so a pretty high chance of getting an Impact Proc.
    Last edited by tubawizard; 2012-04-18 at 01:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tubawizard View Post
    The best procedure to have almost no RNG problems is to do the following:
    1) As soon as the Forgotten Ones start to spawn, put a LB on 2 of them and 1 LB on the boss to have the 10% Speed increase.
    2) Now Hardcast a Pyroblast on the boss, prepare a Blastwave on the mobs and cast it as soon as the Pyro is on his way. As good as a 100 % chance that Impact is procced now with 9-10 mobs + the boss being hit by the Blastwave/Flamestrike combo

By step 2, do you really have all the Forgotten Ones stacked in the center already? It sounds like they would still be on the way towards the boss. Anyway, I like the idea of dotting 2 of them for the 10% haste bonus. Have to try that next time!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmiSc View Post
    to a heroic level-mage combustion, the pyro dot means zipp.... >.>
    why you pray for a pyro proc is to stack it with the previous 2 fb crit that generated it , aka stack the ignite from 3 crits

but ....have it your way :P
    How can i put this... well, for my fellow raiders it doesnt mean anything how much damage I could have done if everything went ok, only the damage I was actually able to pull.
    In a perfect wonderland scenario I would get awesome pyro crits while having every buff available in every black phase, but that doesnt happen. As such, I try do as much dmg as I possible can with what I have available. You claim that the pyro dot means zipp, well, if my choice is spreading nothing or a weak pyro dot, im gonna go with the pyro dot .
    Last edited by ziggler; 2012-04-18 at 08:59 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggler View Post
    How can i put this... well, for my fellow raiders it doesnt mean anything how much damage I could have done if everything went ok, only the damage I was actually able to pull.
    In a perfect wonderland scenario I would get awesome pyro crits while having every buff available in every black phase, but that doesnt happen. As such, I try do as much dmg as I possible can with what I have available. You claim that the pyro dot means zipp, well, if my choice is spreading nothing or a weak pyro dot, im gonna go with the pyro dot .

weren't we talking about combustion ? :P

The whole idea about this is to get all 3 counters running for a maximum Combustion LB+Crits from (PB,FB)+DoT from PB. So therefore start with PB, hope for a crit, else spam FB to get a crit. Then impact, voila!

The forgotten ones spawn pretty quick, if you are very lucky that the hard cast PB is a crit and you shouldnt have a impact procced for what ever reason, cast a FS.