Best digging strategy?

So here's the scenario. You're trying to get as much Tol'vir archaeology in as you can. Here's how your map looks.

You're in Desolace. You have a Night Elf site in Hyjal, a Dwarf site in Southern Barrens, a Troll site in Tanaris, and one Tol'vir site in Uldum. Pretty spread out, and you're smack dab in the middle of them.

Would the best strategy be to head north and work your way down in hopes of filling Uldum with more Tol'vir sites, or would it be better to head south and pick off the one site you do have? Or do you have a third, unmentioned strategy?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    So here's the scenario. You're trying to get as much Tol'vir archaeology in as you can. Here's how your map looks.

You're in Desolace. You have a Night Elf site in Hyjal, a Dwarf site in Southern Barrens, a Troll site in Tanaris, and one Tol'vir site in Uldum. Pretty spread out, and you're smack dab in the middle of them.

Would the best strategy be to head north and work your way down in hopes of filling Uldum with more Tol'vir sites, or would it be better to head south and pick off the one site you do have? Or do you have a third, unmentioned strategy?
    Farm, farm and re-farm, mindlessly, un-intelligently. Archeology is so boring and random that the only efficient way is to farm again and again and again....
    I'm missing only 1 dwarf and 1 tolvir artefact to complete ALL archeolgy artefacts and I'm currently sitting over 800+ tol'vir and 1200+ dwarf reconstruction. So boooooooring.

(can someone brush those spiderwebs off me ?)

Deleted
    If you go just by the math, then getting the tolvir one first would always be best since it opens up a spot in there. Although, if you take travel times into account, i think the best thing here may be to HS, take the portal to hyjal, portal back with the hyjal portal, take the uldum portal, and take the tolvir and tanaris ones. And after that just have a look and make a new plan :P

Personally what I would do is head to Uldum get the tol'vir site, than pick the troll and dwarf dig sites. If you're on 310% it wont take so much travel time. Plus you'll have 1 less spot in hyjal so its less chance to spawn there and opens up the additional spot in Uldum.

Edit: But ye, when I was working on my Archaeology for the bug mount I watched episodes/movies most of the time so I could just auto fly and check every now and then and when you reach the dig site I pause what i'm watching , dig it up and continue flying to next spot. Its less boring but hey, its archaeology, it will allways be really boring no matter what.
    Last edited by Maggibesti; 2012-04-27 at 11:10 AM.

I kinda stopped farming archeo after some very bad luck but the best thing is to keep farming and farm some more.
    Start with tol vir and work your way north. If you need coffee/toilet break/phone whatever get a flightpath and take one that matches "ish" your afk time.
    Also leveling while watching a movie or tv series that doesnt take much of your attention works.
    Personally i use a laptop when i go farm archeo and watch a movie on tv.
    For some reason i had more luck with tol vir when i didnt instantly digged there. Got 2 or 3 digsites in uldum and when i was done with the 2/3 another 1 or 2 where allready in uldum.
    Maybe thats intented maybe its RNG. dont know

If the site choice was truly random then you'd have a better chance by going to Uldum, digging that one up, thus freeing up the space for it to spawn into when you dig somewhere else.

However, I'm pretty sure it picks new dig sites based on the number of rare artifacts left to get. This muddies the waters considerably. In the end, I just go for what's closest and when there's a nice bunch somewhere else I hearth and take the portal to Uldum/Hyjal to save time.