Thread: Angelic Bulwark

Angelic Bulwark

Angelic Bulwark- seems rather spec-specific for their latest "choices" talent tree, no?

Deleted
    I disagree.

It's the only "choice" for a PvE shadow priest.

What's wrong with Desperate Prayer in a PVE scenario?

Spectral Guise is useful in a PVE scenario, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchkart View Post
    What's wrong with Desperate Prayer in a PVE scenario?
    Drops Shadowform, therefore requires 2 GCDs.
    Spectral Guise is useful in a PVE scenario, as well.
    Name one that isn't extremely rare or covered by our other abilities.
    Last edited by Kaesebrezen; 2012-04-27 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Drops Shadowform, therefore requires 2 GCDs.
    A low dps is better then a dead dps?

could be i used outdated talents, so just keep that in mind reading my post.

Lets see.... 90sec CD on a passive ability, that effectively gives you 120% hp.
    OR
    120sec CD on a activated ability that, effectively gives you 130% hp under the correct conditions.

1/3 more cd for 1/3 more "hp" would seem like a dead even between them, but in this scenario its all about the situational use.

But, you have to use DP to get the effect, which can cause you to lose focus on dps/ enviroment etc, which is not as good as a completely passive ability.
    Also you lose shadow form as Kaese said, but its only 2 GCDs, which depending on the situation wont make the difference in the long run, while you being dead or alive will.

Blizzard i applause you! This is what YOU wanted, and what I wanted! These two abilities CANT be simmed, number crunched or calculated to be "best". Its all up to preference and on occasion the way a fight works. Perfect..

...Now just make the other 150-200 choices "just" as hard as this one.
    Last edited by Martinussen; 2012-04-27 at 07:26 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

I guess the Blizzard tree on Battlenet is not up to date?

Angelic Bulwark- Increases the effectiveness of your PW: S, DA and Spirit Shell on yourself by 30%.

The talent you're discussing is called Final Prayer on Blizzard's site.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...t-calculator#X!

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post

Angelic Bulwark- Increases the effectiveness of your PW: S, DA and Spirit Shell on yourself by 30%.

could be i used outdated talents, so just keep that in mind reading my post.

well the avengelic bulwark im talking about is just final prayer, so potato tomato.
    Last edited by Martinussen; 2012-04-27 at 07:28 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post

Use the WoWhead talent calculator. Blizzard doesn't keep their official one up to date at all. We've long since had most of those talents either changed, removed, moved, or added to our spellbook as a baseline, or spec-defining ability.

Here's the up-to-date priest tree: http://mop.wowhead.com/mists-of-pand...t-calculator#p

http://mop.wowhead.com/talent is more or less up to date. It just has a few problems like some specs missing some spells like last I checked, Greater Heal was listed under Disc when it's now a Holy only spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    Also you lose shadow form as Kaese said, but its only 2 GCDs, which depending on the situation wont make the difference in the long run, while you being dead or alive will.
    If i want to spend 2 GCDs, i'd glyph Dark Mending and cast two flashheals. That's healing more then Desperate Prayer. It's not like there are any better glyphs to pick.
    Use wowhead. Blizz calc is from february.

What is this glyph of dark mending you talk about?

What is this glyph of dark mending you talk about?
    He meant Glyph of Dark Binding.
    It allows you to heal with Flash Heal, Renew, and Binding Heal (not ProM! D'oh!) without dropping Shadowform.

I don't know how to feel about Desperate Prayer, I'll be honest. It's one of my favorite spells in the game when I heal, but seeing as how it drops Shadowform, I think I'll take Angelic Bulwark.

You make a great point that it only takes 2 GCDs to use it, where as healing through any other means even with the glyph could take potentially longer and be less mana efficient.

On the other hand, I have many tools at my disposal to heal or protect myself without having to do that. Vampiric Touch's passive healing, Vampiric Embrace, Disperse if I'm still taking a lot of damage, Power Word: Shield, and even a 10% damage reduction bonus to Fade if I take that glyph too - which i believes stacks with our Shadowform's inherit 15% damage reduction bonus (barring the possibilities that there are no better glyphs to take), and I almost forgot Void Shift (personally I'm not one for griefing so if it doesn't work on fiend, then I'll use it as a last resort. At least it leaves whoever you swapped health with at a minimum of 25% health).
    Then of course there is also the titular Angelic Bulwark every 90 seconds, which while it's up I can do all of the above without wasting a GCD on it.

So with all those cooldowns and ways to heal myself, I think I'd stick with Angelic Bulwark personally, but I guess that's the focus of many of these and other classes' talent trees: Personal Choice.

Lets see.... 90sec CD on a passive ability, that effectively gives you 120% hp.
    OR
    120sec CD on a activated ability that, effectively gives you 130% hp under the correct conditions.
    Bulwark will save you provided you do not need to be topped off to survive. Lets take an example that likely everyone has seen... Nef's Electrocute in T11. Its a big surge of damage, if you're sitting at 31% hp (intentionally 31 for purposes of the illustration),you'd likely die from it... and not trigger Bulwark, while Desperate Prayer would top you off to survivability. Bulwark will save you provided the damage is bleeding in, not bursty that could push you over (and past) the threshold.

So its not really 120% HP... you're likening it more to cauterize where it prevents the killing blow. Gotta think like a healer a little bit when evaluating these survivability talents. Now, yes, breaking Shadowform is a dps loss since you have to re-enter Shadowform, but it will be just like all the other fights and our talents... we'll be switching a LOT of talents dependent on the fight's mechanics, especially utility ones. In T13 id say DP superior on Morhock's stomp/crystal soaking or Spine, while Bulwark would be better on something like Zonozz since the Black Phases' damage is bleeding, or Ultraxion....

Then again, always remember Dispersion too... Unless its a fight where you're goign to be using it (Ultrax, Baleroc, etc)
    Last edited by derevka; 2012-04-28 at 01:15 PM.

Honestly Id be nagging Blizzard about DPrayer until they give an answer about whether its supposed to drop Shadowform or not. I dont think it will go live like that but its something that should be checked.

I think the 2 is currently quite balance if you trade off 1 GCD for the freedom to use it when you wish. Now that all they need is either make D.P. doesn't cost GCD (wish is normal for a life saving CD) or doesn't drop Shadow form to make it that way