10+ Year Old Account

No beta acces for me...so inform which 2 classes:)

Hello there

I got no beta acces so i ask you for the following classes the same question:

How do you like the gameplay in it?

I am wondering it about the next classes (in bracelet my experience with 'comparable' class):
    -warrior (playing warrior in WoW)
    -guardian (playing paladin in WoW and did in D2)
    -Elementalist (going for wizard in D3)
    -Ranger (hunter in WoW)
    -Necro (played necromancer in D2)

I want to focus on 2 classes. My main is still melee orientated but ranged is getting more to me. I though not like the mage class in WoW but i like the wizard in D3. But i also like to fight sword and board.....what to pick...what to pick...

help me to say some things about the gameplay
    WoW Main chars --> Warrior: Bladestormer Alt --> Rogue:
    Stormlasher

D3 classes: Wizard (main) - Monk

Uhh I played mostly ranger in the beta and I must say whilst it is "okayish" I found my 1 hour play with thief more fun than all the hours I played ranger.

I compared ranger to a hunter in WoW as well. The class is fun but the drawback are the pets. They are pretty useless and die fast. (really fast) When they "die" they become immune to damage and npcs do not target him anymore. So all the aggro goes to you.

WoW pets are better imho, but the ranger class is fun... if you could only ditch the pet for more damage then it would be perfect (imho!)
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

The Guardian seems like the class for you. It is like a Paladin because they use special spells to guard themselves and their allies, and they are very good when it comes to sword & board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    The Guardian seems like the class for you. It is like a Paladin because they use special spells to guard themselves and their allies, and they are very good when it comes to sword & board.
    Ye: i played paladin mostly ye and liked them in D2 a lot and re-liking them in WoW.

Maybe i get time to lvl 3 chars
    WoW Main chars --> Warrior: Bladestormer Alt --> Rogue:
    Stormlasher

D3 classes: Wizard (main) - Monk

Played ranger. Used longbow till level 20 and then I got axe + torch in my hands. I loved playing with longbow and it didnt felt boring at all, but now after experiencing play with axe + torch/dagger I simply cant go back to longbow/shortbow. Playstyle changed drastically and it is 100x more fun. Now i can actually switch my weapon to longsword too, which is lots of fun too. It wasnt really an option when I was playing with longbow, because you kinda have to stay as far as possible.

Anyway, combat is amazingly well done and I love every second of it.

Ranger with longbow/shortbow is kinda like a hunter in WoW, but when you experience something like axe + torch with weapon swapping to longsword, it is pure win of combat. Totally different than anything you can experience in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    I compared ranger to a hunter in WoW as well. The class is fun but the drawback are the pets. They are pretty useless and die fast. (really fast) When they "die" they become immune to damage and npcs do not target him anymore. So all the aggro goes to you.
    I haven't played GW2(Beta) yet so forgive me (or not) if you want to punch me in the face for saying this but:
    Well, duh?

So if you don't mind me using your thread for my own gain, anyone played Pistol Dagger and Dagger Pistol combo Thief and can that person tell me if you can ''chain'' both 3 abilities from both weapon sets together? (as in, is their cooldown not shared and do you get a certain global cooldown from weapon switching?)
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-04-29 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    I haven't played GW2(Beta) yet so forgive me (or not) if you want to punch me in the face for saying this but:
    Well, duh?

So if you don't mind me using your thread for my own gain, anyone played Pistol Dagger and Dagger Pistol combo Thief and can that person tell me if you can ''chain'' both 3 abilities from both weapon sets together? (as in, is their cooldown not shared and do you get a certain global cooldown from weapon switching?)
    My point was that the pet doesn't die, he comes next to you and you'll get a really obnoxious "press F to revive".
    Which will conflict with other stuff (Like not being able to execute enemies in pvp)

So your "well duh" is not that "well duh" for someone who doesn't know/hasn't played GW2.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Necro felt really odd to me, but I could have just not had the right weapon combination. It didn't really feel like the necro I knew and loved from GW1 when using the axe they start you with, and the horn I choose after the first quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    My point was that the pet doesn't die, he comes next to you and you'll get a really obnoxious "press F to revive".
    Which will conflict with other stuff (Like not being able to execute enemies in pvp)

So your "well duh" is not that "well duh" for someone who doesn't know/hasn't played GW2.
    What level did you get to? When you get higher level, the pets survive longer, and when you have two pets, you can swap when one dies.

Warrior plays a bit differently in gw2 then in wow from what I can tell in regards to using a shield. Unless your soloing you might not take hits since they got rid of the holy trinity.

heres a showcase of all of the warrior weapon abilities:

you will still be dodging and rolling, you'll have your shield out and switch to a bow or rifle to kite as well. it doesnt seem like the traditional wow warrior but you have access to a variety of weapons and can fight in melee or ranged.

I really liked the warrior profession because you can do a melee or ranged setup and I always like to have a charge with any character I play. Guardian was really powerful feeling on the one I played up to level 5 and the utility felt useful so it's going to be a tossup between those two for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerusher View Post
    Hello there

I got no beta acces so i ask you for the following classes the same question:

How do you like the gameplay in it?

I am wondering it about the next classes (in bracelet my experience with 'comparable' class):
    -warrior (playing warrior in WoW)
    -guardian (playing paladin in WoW and did in D2)
    -Elementalist (going for wizard in D3)
    -Ranger (hunter in WoW)
    -Necro (played necromancer in D2)

I want to focus on 2 classes. My main is still melee orientated but ranged is getting more to me. I though not like the mage class in WoW but i like the wizard in D3. But i also like to fight sword and board.....what to pick...what to pick...

help me to say some things about the gameplay
    I hate to give you this kind of answer, but you're just going to have to eventually try them out. The classes all have a distinct feel, and whether you like it or not will be entirely subjective. :P

Pick the class you like best by theme imo!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    About the pet ranger problem... I didn't have it at all. Maybe I was just not paying much attention to it but it didn't annoy me at all. Also, once you tame a second one, the micro management is SUPER fun, as before your pet dies you can switch, it will heal the other pet and the active pet is ready for combat. It was super fun doing a wolf/drake combo. I also absolutely loved shortbow/longsword. I like that I'm not stuck as a ranged (and vice versa).

I find that the suggestion of trying them out is true. You MUST try and get the feel for it, and you can't really decide everything without playing. I wanted a thief with dagger/dagger pistol/pistol, but ended up enjoying the mobility and back and forward of the shortbow and the pistol/dagger. (Going up close, moving back, dodging, hiding in the shadows, SO... Much... FUN!).

Also, I really didn't enjoy the warrior, mesmer or necromancer, but maybe it was just because I wasn't playing them right, and I just wanted to rush through to get a feel for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    What level did you get to? When you get higher level, the pets survive longer, and when you have two pets, you can swap when one dies.
    I got to level 20 and the pet still died in 1-2 hits. It got really annoying healing it up after every fight and it might be the reason why I saw so many Rangers with a knocked out pet with them. My Necro's pets were able to tank mobs (even bosses) longer and I had more of them to spare while also being able to bring them out easier. I didn't know you could swap pets in combat, I'll have to remember that next time.

Ranger was my first profession so I didn't really know what to expect but when I started up a Necro I realized their pets have a lot more survivability. Hopefully they get it fixed before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    I really liked the warrior profession because you can do a melee or ranged setup and I always like to have a charge with any character I play.
    Yep, I started with a warrior because I wanted a melee character, and ended up using a rifle most of the time because it was just so goddamn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanubis View Post
    Yep, I started with a warrior because I wanted a melee character, and ended up using a rifle most of the time because it was just so goddamn fun.
    The rifle is boss, at least for single target. I ended up using mostly my rifle the whole entire beta (did go melee a few times just to switch things up but never really needed to).

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The rifle is boss, at least for single target. I ended up using mostly my rifle the whole entire beta (did go melee a few times just to switch things up but never really needed to).
    Yep, both the third skill (can't remember the name) and the fully charged adrenaline attack were just awesome. I did try some other weapons (the mace particularly had a couple interesting mechanics) but nothing beat the rifle for overall fun.

I was gutted that I never got around to trying out the longbow - apparently it's very AoE orientated to balance the rifle's single-target focus.

I really love that rifle though, it was honestly the point that the game turned from 'kinda looking forward to release' to 'I love this game' for me.

Deleted
    I'd say go with elementalist You have 4 elements, fire,water,air,earth. My personal favorite is Fire. Elementalists cant weapon switch in combat, but we can jump in and out in our elements which has different skills and effects. Let me give you an example. You're in a event and there are 10 mobs which you and other players trying to kill. You use your spells in a smooth way in fire element, then you change to earth in combat and use its earth AoE spells, then maybe you want to jump into air (though air is mostly single target).
    You're in WvW and a melee is trying to kill you 1 vs 1. You use your fire spells. Jump back twice and then use the effect which makes you jump back and leave a red line (a total of 3 jumps), then you are far away and then you change to air to use its Stun ability to stop him meters away from you. You decide to change to earth to make a wall and if he goes trough that he gets slowed...

Etc Etc... SO MUCH FUN

Rolled a warrior at first but found melee get instagibbed entirely too often and ended up using a bow for most of the events, so I rolled a ranger. Ranger is essentially a warrior but you also get a pet to hang out with, much better and the bow skills are pretty much the same for both.