Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I VERY MUCH doubt that in case of revolution, military would back the government. Think about who serves in the military, ESPECIALLY as foot soldiers. You think those kids would shoot their own neighbors for a paycheck?

By the way, when revolution happened in Russia, many soldiers in the military revolted against their officers and joined the rebels.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I VERY MUCH doubt that in case of revolution, military would back the government. Think about who serves in the military, ESPECIALLY as foot soldiers. You think those kids would shoot their own neighbors for a paycheck?

By the way, when revolution happened in Russia, many soldiers in the military revolted against their officers and joined the rebels.
    Would never happen... another country, maybe? But not anywhere in the West. If that were to happen, an enemy of said country would conquer it over night.

Quote Originally Posted by emitchell29 View Post
    Would never happen... another country, maybe? But not anywhere in the West. If that were to happen, an enemy of said country would conquer it over night.
    I said "in case". I agree, we aren't having it NEARLY bad enough for a revolution. You need much much MUCH worse conditions for revolution than 10% unemployment.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    sadly i think the government should fear a revolution but kinda hard to break away or revolt in these days with the government holding all missiles
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post

You really haven't met many Infantry have you?

If anything I would be scared that they would be all too willing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

No. Everyone saying yes is assuming that everyone who's not "part of the system" would just band together to fight the government. But the reality is that it would be a bunch of smaller groups branded as radicals and potential terrorists and taken out systematically while more laws are passed that infringe on individual rights under the guise of "safety".

Just look at the OWS and Tea Party. They both think they have the best solution for fixing this country's ills. Both may have some right answers, but they are heavily mixed in with ideas and ideals that many American's find to be extreme.

This is pretty much what would happen:

No. Revolutions get somewhat romaticized after the fact. People get jailed and killed. It's much easier to sit around and bitch about Obama. People are content to spend hours, days, and maybe even weeks of their lives bitching about something. Working five minutes to change what they so vehemently oppose is, you know, work.

---------- Post added 2012-05-04 at 01:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    They won't back the democrats.
    You need new material.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously doubt it. People are mad for various reasons, but not enough to grab guns and kill their fellow citizens for it in droves.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

What would we be revolting against? Things are hardly bad enough for people to actually take up arms in some meaningful way. Life is pretty comfortable for many people (and I don't mean the 1%).

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    What would we be revolting against? Things are hardly bad enough for people to actually take up arms in some meaningful way. Life is pretty comfortable for many people (and I don't mean the 1%).
    For the most part and in the big picture our 99% are pretty well off. Some people don't seem to realize that. Ok, so some people are hot over some issues, but they are minor. I mean what are we going to revolt over? Obamacare? Hell, i couldn't give two shits...certainly not enough shits to even contemplate bringing about all the not nice things that accompany armed revolts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post

The military exists to protect the Constitution, not the government. US Constitution =/= whoever happens to be controlling the military. A US soldier swears under oath to not follow orders he/she believe to be unconstitutional. The US Constitution exists to protect the people from an over-reaching government. Thus, because the military is sworn to protect the Constitution, and considering the Constitution's entire purpose is to preserve the freedoms of the American people, it becomes the military's moral and constitutional obligation is to protect the citizenry and the freedoms we enjoy.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

It's hard to imagine a revolt or revolution in a developed western country that by all rights is still considered by many to be the land of opportunity. Despite the unhappiness running through the country right now--the United States is truly one of the most comfortable nations in existence. Problems are brewing and the winds are rising after nearly 50 years of constant prosperity but we still sit quite pretty. It would take something big to cause a real revolution led by the people.

"I wonder what future generations will say about us. My grandparents suffered through the Depression, World War II, then came home to build the greatest middle class in human history. Lord knows they weren't perfect, but they sure came closest to the American dream. Then my parents' generation came along and fucked it all up--the baby boomers, the "me" generation. And then you got us."
    --Max Brooks, World War Z

Revolution could certainly happen if resources became scarce enough. Not that such a scenario is unique to America. It could happen in any situation where the government was controlling resources and a select few were benefiting from being "in" with the gov.

Revolt against what? A world wide economic issue? Revolt against Obama? Or just revolt cause it sounds cool and interesting? We aren't slaves, we don't keep slaves, we don't nuke whole countries, we don't use children in factories, and we don't have a thunderdome. How about we care about revolting when some real shit goes down.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

We've already seen something like an attempt at revolution by the Occupy gargoyles. They're still fluttering into the streets after more than a year. Maybe it's the beginning of a revolution?

We've been much closer to a revolution in the past. If it didn't happen then, I see no reason it will now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    We've already seen something like an attempt at revolution by the Occupy gargoyles. They're still fluttering into the streets after more than a year. Maybe it's the beginning of a revolution?
    But they don't turn to stone in the day time. They just throw shit and yell louder. They're more monkeys than gargoyles.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

full revolution don't think so, but I expect riots to increase and become much more violent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post

Have you?

/10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    But they don't turn to stone in the day time. They just throw shit and yell louder. They're more monkeys than gargoyles.
    You're right, of course. I'm running out of fantasy pejoratives.