Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Will there be inflation or deflation?

Hey, what do you guys think will occur in the coming year with MoP and stuff, some people say inflation, others say deflation.
    Please post what you think will happen and why

( inflation> gold will be worth less, deflation means gold will be worth more )

10+ Year Old Account
    Always inflation. Always.

It's always inflation, because gold rewards from quests and such go up, meaning that the baseline amount of gold each person has will be somewhat higher. Things will cost a bit more.

Basically the game starts printing more money when an expansion comes out.

Blizzard has to do inflation unless they heavily nerf all previous expansions quest rewards, vendor values, coin drops on bosses/humanoids, etc

Otherwise if we were at the same valuation of gold as in vanilla where 1000g was "a lot" but we would still be able to faceroll/solo those raids and farming spots then the gold would automatically devalue itself and cause inflation b/c everyone will have tons of gold if they take 10 minutes out of their day to aoe down some mobs 30 levels beneath them.

"Usul, we have inflation the likes of which even God has never seen."

Deleted
    The one who says deflation (I dont believe there are any) are idiots.

Always inflation and its getting bigger.

Back in vanilla I used to see guides for raiding SM and making up to 12g an hour......fast forward and its many thousands an hour.

The biggest drivers for inflation is the large amount of old in circulation that has not been earned i.e gold buyers and gold coming from botts. Also a lot of accumulated wealth.

Expect prices to increase by 200-300% imo.

Prices for expansion will be eyewatering. Peple already sitting on a lot of gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post

Prices for expansion will be eyewatering. Peple already sitting on a lot of gold.
    That is mainly the reason I made this topic

Inflation,
    people level more alts, alts need gear, bags, enchants etc but also bring proffesions
    With MoP you will see spiky high priced old mats and lvl 60/70/80 endgame mats will be more expensive.
    To counter this you will see more gold running through the game

Deleted
    I don't think there will be a lot of inflation. The main thing you should look at is where the gold comes from. In vanilla there were no dailies, no random dungeons that rewarded gold and no raids to solo.
    In tbc we got dailies which gave everyone a way to make some money.
    In wotlk we got random dungeons and the ability to solo a few old raids.
    In cataclysm we have even higher rewards from random dungeons and more raids to solo. On top of that we also get the guild challenges which give a lot of gold.
    For now I don't see MoP adding a lot of new gold sources. I guess quests and dailies will give a little more gold, and gold drops from mobs will be a bit higher. Also there will be more raid bosses to solo. So unless pet battles will give 100g per win I don't see any significant additions to gold income.

So long story short; There will be inflation, but not as much as we've seen before.

Massive massive inflation. Between 200 and 300% will proboly be a good estimate. Strictly AOE looting is going to have a huge inflation impact on the market that we have never experienced before

Deleted
    I have feeling it will be a moderate inflation.

Deleted
    TCCB18333 every expansion has brought with it large amounts of inflation with things doubling and tripling in price. This one will be no difference except the inflation will be even higher.

You completely understimate what a disruptive effort Bots have on the game. Billions of extra or already farmed gold hained by cheating and also accoun hacking. Look at the amount you cna earn in 1h.

It used to be 12, then 30 and now its more like 1500-3000 an hour. When you have played since Vanilla you get a feel for these things and how the expansion cycle goes.

Inflation, or course.

Also, as more players advance in MoP. older items will go up in cost as people will not be farming as much for them. So saving things like Embersilk now will net you a nice profit down the line

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inflation... I think blizz needs to consider adding a new coin... like 100g = 1 platinum or something looking at the gold numbers is getting overwhelmingly large.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    TCCB18333 every expansion has brought with it large amounts of inflation with things doubling and tripling in price. This one will be no difference except the inflation will be even higher.

You completely understimate what a disruptive effort Bots have on the game. Billions of extra or already farmed gold hained by cheating and also accoun hacking. Look at the amount you cna earn in 1h.

It used to be 12, then 30 and now its more like 1500-3000 an hour. When you have played since Vanilla you get a feel for these things and how the expansion cycle goes.
    I have been playing since vanilla and have always had a fair amount of money, so i definitely noticed the amount of inflation we've been having with every new expansion. The thing is (like i tried to explain in my first post) that every expansion so far has had a significant new source of money. (tbc-> dailies, wrath->random dungeons with gold rewards and a few old raids that could be solod, cata-> guild challenges, the guild loot pertks, more old raids to solo)
    So far i don't see a significant new source of money in MoP. Ofcourse we will be able to solo more old content, and i guess aoe looting will help a bit, but no other gold sources are known yet.
    And with the black market AH i think they are adding quite a significant gold SINK. I don't think bots will farm 200-300% more in mop? And even if they do, that still won't bring more money to the game, if anything, more botting would drive prices down.

I wonder if the numbers squish will apply to gold as well. I think that with so many players in the 6 figures, and the fact that the Gold Cap is old news, Blizz may need to start limiting the gold inflow. We already saw items in this xpac in the 10's of thousands. Should we expect to see 6 figures commonly on the AH? I hope not. It would completely devalue the WoW economy.

Yeah, AOE looting is going to be huge. At least 300%.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Yeah, AOE looting is going to be huge. At least 300%.
    How will AoE looting make such a massive impact? Sure it will make things a bit more convenient, but overall I don't see it making a huge difference. I imagine more people will farm older instances more often for mats, but wouldn't that just increase supply narrowing the supply/demand gap? I agree there will be inflation, as it's only normal.

I also fail to understand the negative impact of inflation upon the game. Gold is kind of a luxury in WoW, and it's not really NEEDED. So what does it matter if people have phat stax? Maybe I'm missing something. I've managed to accumulate a 30k gold stack just from dailies and ninja-looting the chest each week on LFR (lelelelel).