How do you keep the motivation up to try to succeed in something?

Hello, i have had this problem for a long time, and i can imagine many people got it. So let me tell you this in a little story.

Usually, i dont have the motivation to anything. I go to work and spend very few hours there. Go home, to the computer. Maybe go out and take a few photos. Then nothing more. I want to have the motivation to turn my brain from the off button to the on button.

Right now its slightly ON. Because i got this motivation from a movie i watched. "The making of psycho". I´m a big fan of old movies and directors, so i am watching this documentary about Alfred hitchcock how he works and how he thinks. I got very motivated to take my small interests to a higher level. But this motivation only lasts for a short moment. I want it to last longer, to use the brainpower im able to use all the time.

So my question is, how do i make these motivation feelings last longer? What can i do to activate my brain? To keep myself motivated to keeping myself motivated? It sounds weird yes.

Im really struggeling with this so serious answers would be appreciated. (Might be few misspelled words in here)

I can't offer much advice, but I think I have the same type of problem. For me, when I see a movie that I really like or does something interesting I feel driven to write my own stories, but the interest just wears off by the time i get home. I do successfully get myself to write here and there, but it's no where near what I should be doing. Some people I would guess are filled with constant energy, most people just have to practice and force themselves to work on there interests. Maybe interests shouldn't be forced, but I do find when I get myself to write even if its excruciating figuring specifically how I want to phrase something I do enjoy at the end the little stuff I get done.

I have no advice on turning the brain on because I think that's more of a natural brain mechanism, but if you manage to make a habit of doing things you like while the brain is off maybe that can help. I lose interest too fast. So all I can do is practice at it.

Bleh, spoken from someone with a brain that has a low attention span.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to have the problem you're talking about. Then I realized I wasn't actually that interested in what I was doing, and move on to a field that actually kept my attention.

Also, side note, alternating the stroke weight of your paragraphs is weird, and makes it harder to read, as it's distracting.
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2012-04-10 at 03:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's this concept I keep hearing often, and it was mentioned also by the art director I believe in the making-of-Cata DVD where he talked about training the subconscious regularly with whatever you're interested in (sketches for me). The brain is your motivation driver too, and it's a muscle, so work it out. It may be difficult to get into it, but once you start a habit of exercising it, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    I used to have the problem you're talking about. Then I realized I wasn't actually that interested in what I was doing, and move on to a field that actually kept my attention.

Also, side note, alternating the stroke weight of your paragraphs is weird, and makes it harder to read, as it's distracting.
    Yeah might be true. Hmm well i thought if the text is the same "strokes weight" (or what they are called) its pretty boring to read. Atleast for me, so i lose interest in reading the text otherwise >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    There's this concept I keep hearing often, and it was mentioned also by the art director I believe in the making-of-Cata DVD where he talked about training the subconscious regularly with whatever you're interested in (sketches for me). The brain is your motivation driver too, and it's a muscle, so work it out. It may be difficult to get into it, but once you start a habit of exercising it, you should be fine.
    You got a point there