Poll: Which one will do better?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    And honestly, who can compete with Downey Jr? The guy's just freaking awesome.
    With all due respect, Downey Jr is a good actor, but usually Nolan brings good actors and actresses, to his movies and that proves with the cast with: Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, which IMO are all strong actors and better than Downey Jr.

Haven't watched The Avengers yet, and i wasn't really looking forward to it to be honest, but since people are amazed by it, theres maybe something to look forward to, but when it comes to TDKR, i doubt Nolan would for the first time make a bad movie. Nolan's batman franchise is on another level when it comes to super hero movies.

I would wait for DKR to come out then compare the two.

Will he continue to speak with that very deep growl he spoke in the last film? If so, I might just not even go see it. That was annoying and lame, also switching out Katie Holmes for Maggie Gylenhall? Maggie blew in the second film. So many things can screw this new one up. The only bad thing about the Avengers was Scarlet Johansson's dialect...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikus View Post
    Will he continue to speak with that very deep growl he spoke in the last film? If so, I might just not even go see it. That was annoying and lame, also switching out Katie Holmes for Maggie Gylenhall? Maggie blew in the second film. So many things can screw this new one up. The only bad thing about the Avengers was Scarlet Johansson's dialect...
    Katie declined to star in the second and she thought her current film would be a bigger success or something along those lines, i personally preferred Maggie.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    What. The. Fuck. Dude, seriously?
    How many did you watch last year?
    There were plenty and plenty of fantastic indies. Same with 2010 and 2009. And 2008 was one of the creates film years since 1997, as was 2007.

OT: The Dark Knight Rises.

The Avengers wasn’t that good. 8/10, NOT MORE. Was like it tried to please it’s audience too much. But I liked how it devoted time to it’s characters instead of action all the way.
    I think the last 4-5 years saw 1 or 2 GOOD films each year, and a lot of bad to mediocre ones. Compartively there have been much better years before that on a more constant level. But that's my opinion and partly statistics

Two completely different movies. The new Batman isn't a "superhero" movie. That would be like comparing Iron Man to The Watchmen. These Marvel movies are about fun action, comedy, and amazing visuals. Batman and The Watchmen are movies with social commentary with grim story lines. The Avengers was a great flick, and I am sure the new Batman will be fantastic too. Which one will make more money? Probably The Avengers......has a wider audience range (for the reasons I listed above).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    Two completely different movies. The new Batman isn't a "superhero" movie. That would be like comparing Iron Man to The Watchmen. These Marvel movies are about fun action, comedy, and amazing visuals. Batman and The Watchmen are movies with social commentary with grim story lines. The Avengers was a great flick, and I am sure the new Batman will be fantastic too. Which one will make more money? Probably The Avengers......has a wider audience range (for the reasons I listed above).
    They're comparable on the fact they both have huge fanbases and will both be huge successes, commercially at least. That's the only reason for the thread, judging the better film and most popular

Tough one!

I also think The Dark Knight is the best super hero movie ever, followed closely by The Avengers.

I really don´t think The Dark Knight Rises will be able to leave up to his predecessor...

My vote is for The Avengers. But only barely.

Deleted
    how are people able to vote on something they havent seen is a mystery to me (:

Pft who cares. The Hobbit and Prometheus is what I am excited about :P

However I think I will enjoy the Avengers more than TDKR, I don't think it will live up to the Dark Knight, and the Avengers seems to be a great movie.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

AVENGERS... ASSEMBLE!

yeah, Bane is a asthmatic gimp in a fur coat and Catwoman is being played by a wooden board.
    then theres Bale, who makes George Clooney almost look good as Batman.
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-05-09 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowa View Post
    how are people able to vote on something they havent seen is a mystery to me (:
    The idea of the thread was to ponder over which film will be the highest grossing.

Fan boys have turned it into 'I like x more than y and z most.'. Which has little to nothing to do with anything.

Avengers

and

Avengers

Joss Whedon is a far better writer and storyteller than Nolan and he has more experience.

Joss Whedon is the sole reason that the Avengers was as good as it was. This was the perfect role for him. Some of the individual Superheroes weren't as good as The Avengers because the heroes were a little duller. This occured in IM2 and Thor particularly, but with Whedon's dialogue everyone of the cast members was great in The Avengers.

Nolan on the other hand is somewhat of a one-trick poney. All his movies are meant to be that deep dark thinky movies and I think catwoman in particularly is going to be a little difficult because she is too playful of a character imo and I have a feeling a lot of her dialogue is going to leave the theaters groaning (I know thats what happens everytime I hear catwoman say the line "My mother told me never to get into a strangers car" line from the trailer).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The idea of the thread was to ponder over which film will be the highest grossing.

Fan boys have turned it into 'I like x more than y and z most.'. Which has little to nothing to do with anything.
    Pretty much this

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post

Sadly so.

On Topic:

I voted TDKR. Why?

1. Christopher Nolan - His movies are brilliant. He could make a film about peeing and it would win 6 fucking oscars. He's pure talent.

2. The Cast - Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gorden-Lovett, Gary Oldman. All of them brilliant actors. All of them (bar Hathaway) Nolan veterans.

3. It's the final part of one of highest grossing and most anticipated trilogies of all time. Like The Avengers, it's had lead-in movies that people have watched and loved. Unlike The Avengers, this is the final chapter. This is the definitive end. In 2005, Nolan introduced us to a dark, gritty and never before seen Batman (Begins). In 2008, he took our expectations, laughed in our faces and released The Dark Knight, triple what most people though humanly possible in terms of film making. Four years ago, we saw a film end with the title and had our minds blown. For four years we have waited (im)patiently. And in two months time we will be given the opportunity to see how it all turns out.

The Avengers rocked because it was a light hearted film about Superheroes kicking ass (and Scarlett Johansson being hot).
    The Dark Knight Rises is a dark, gritty and compelling conclusion to a brilliant trilogy with characters we actually give a damn about.

Will the Avengers beat records set by TDK? Quite possibly.
    Will TDKR beat those records? Fuck yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    TDKR = Better film.

Avengers = Larger commercial success.

Though I am not sure TDKR may be equal to Avengers in success. I do think Avengers has broader appeal so I assume it will do better in the long run.

I think The new Batman movies are better to all the Marvel things of late. Not to say I think the Marvel movies are bad by any means.
    Pretty much this tbh. Im really psyched about both Spiderman and batman, but Avengers included 4 (real) superheroes, FOUR superheroes in the same movie. Thats hard to top imo.
    Theres shitloads that is different about these movies.

Avengers was kinda obvious and more funny, but still cool as HELL.
    Batman is more of a dark movie with more "meaning". A family with kids and stuff could see Avengers and they would all love it. I dont think kids will like the new Batman the same way.

And to answer the question. I seriously doubt Batman will be more succesfull than Avengers. Dont get me wrong tho, I love Marvel and I love Batman and the actors are all AWESOME. But yeah, as llamaking said; Avengers has a broader appeal.
    Last edited by mmoc124d4cbc78; 2012-05-09 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avengers will probably be the bigger commercial success. And Batman most likely the better movie, afterall it's the final part of an epic trilogy.
    I look forward to watching both though.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Purely Box Office wise I would say The Avengers. It seem to appeal to a much larger group of people.
    Quality wise? Doesn't matter. I've seen The Avengers and I greatly enjoyed it, I'm going to see The Dark Knight Rises, I'm sure that I'm going to greatly enjoy it. That's what matters most, my own enjoyment.

Nolan said at one point that he wouldn't make a third Batman movie if he didn't think the script was as good, or better, than The Dark Knight. Now there was also something about having to wrap up the trilogy, so I don't know if he accepted less than The Dark Knight in the end, but one can hope he didn't have to. Knowing how he handled The Joker, I'm interested to see what he is going to do with Bane and Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by IMDB
    It's because of Christopher Nolan's methodology to make films and the fulfilling story act that Nolan has decided to end (source). Also, unlike directors such as Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg, who have several upcoming projects simultaneously, Nolan only makes room for one film at a time. Batman Begins was not intended to have sequels in the first place. David S. Goyer, Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan were unsure that sequels would be requested until the film proved to be a blockbuster. And even if Warner Brothers ad pursued a sequel to Batman Begins they were not sure if it was a priority for the three of them. The Nolan brothers went onto make The Prestige and only after that film was in its final stages of production, they started to make a plan with Goyer to make a sequel to the new Batman franchise, which became The Dark Knight. Nolan wasn't sure he wanted to return to direct a third Batman film. As The Dark Knight was immensely successful and critically acclaimed, expectations for a third film would undoubtedly be extremely high. Nolan himself said he would not direct a third film unless the script could match or top The Dark Knight, and the ideas started to pop while in production of Inception. Then he made the conscious decision to end his Batman legacy as a trilogy, ending all the loose ends and spanning a complete story arc for the characters with a definitive conclusion, overruling a fourth film. Christian Bale has also said that he won't be returning for any Batman movies in the future, whether they are directed by Nolan (highly improbable) or by any other person.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-05-09 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine another Nolan Batman adding anything new to the formula, especially when the movie is slated to end the series. To me, that's too much of a downer for a comic book movie, much in the way X3's ending was. My girlfriend is crazy about Marvel though, so Avengers will be on my playlist soon enough. At least that sounds like fun.

Loved Batman Begins, and then Dark Knight Rises to become likely my favourite movie ever, watched it as the only more ever more than 5 times cause I bought the DvD.

So ofcouse Im hyped for the end To BIAS to answer anything propor. Not even into hero-movies at all, nor comic heroes w/e, but the Dark Knight Rises was just perfect, and I think the end will be cool to.