Thread: Spine Dispells

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spine Dispells

New to the fight, normally shadow priest. We are trying to two heal it, and they are wanting me on dispells. The group wants me to go Disc, but I wanna know if it is possible to be the dispeller in shadow spec, so I can still dps the tendon? I mean their concern is mana issues. I'm more comfortable managing mana in shadow then either holy or disc. I could also use inner will.

Has anyone been fulling on dispells in shadow and accomplished it?

My guild recently got down heroic spine. Since the nerfs we were tried a new 1-1-1 lift strategy with 2 heals 6 dps and 2 tanks. The healers where a resto shaman and holy pally. our ms disc priest went shadow so we had enough dps to get each plate off in one lift. I, resto shaman, was primarily on dispels since we have a great talent for it. however, every once in a while, i had the shadow priest mass dispel just to help out during massive damage times such as rolls.

I am not sure what your raid comp is or what strat you are running but it is an intense 2 heal fight. shadow priest are really strong on that fight just because of passive heals and nice 4-piece burst on tendons.

Raid comp.... oddly... (for this week) We have 3 hunters, hpal, resto shammy, a dk, warrior, druid tank, (tho i do believe we are 0 tanking it) otherwise feral druid and the last spot which was a DK might be another druid, not sure yet.

our guild runs two ten mans, and we use different comps every week.

Deleted
    They cant do the dispelling, they can assist with it but not take it completly since you would have to use massdispell everytime to dispell it. (shadow cant dispell friendly targets anymore)

Okay then disc it is. Any advice for a full time spriest going disc to solo dispells?

spine heroic its viable with 2 healers and 6 dps ? o.O

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notwen View Post
    spine heroic its viable with 2 healers and 6 dps ? o.O
    Sure. Pre-nerf all 10 mans had to two-heal because you didn't have -xx% health on tendons. You needed the extra DPS. It's only now with the buff that you can 3-heal it without major issues.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azza View Post
    Okay then disc it is. Any advice for a full time spriest going disc to solo dispells?
    Get the atonement spec if you're 3 so you can smite tendons.

The Debuff jumps to the farthest away player. I dunno about your tactic but if you kill first 4 corruptions and try to get buffs on your tank, and have tanks farthest away then it will jump between dps/healers and tanks everytime. One person can only have TWO buffs, so you can just bounce it around in the start until the tanks have 2 each if possible. Try to remember along the fight who got the buffs (or show it in raidframes) so that no-one gets 3, wasting a buff that will help in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    Get the atonement spec if you're 3 so you can smite tendons.

The Debuff jumps to the farthest away player. I dunno about your tactic but if you kill first 4 corruptions and try to get buffs on your tank, and have tanks farthest away then it will jump between dps/healers and tanks everytime. One person can only have TWO buffs, so you can just bounce it around in the start until the tanks have 2 each if possible. Try to remember along the fight who got the buffs (or show it in raidframes) so that no-one gets 3, wasting a buff that will help in the end.
    Being shadow to mass dispel won't work, because you could have 4 debuffs out at the same time (at the start). You can't selectively dispel with mass dispel, and you may end up dispeling earth when you don't want to. My group stacks front right with our two tanks on the left when we drop in. We kill all four corruptions and try to "force" the earth debuff onto our tanks. You can't infinitely dispel earth/death, the timer gets less and less with each dispel, until you will run out of time. If you have a death debuff, it will blow up if you run out of dispel time, meaning an instant wipe. We try to get at least one earth on each of our tanks on the first go, and then our hpally tries to force another on them with subsequent amalgamation spawns during the fight. The stacking strategy on opposite sides of DW's back seems to work well for us. We've consistently gotten stacks of earth on our tanks that way. We 3 healed 2 tanked the fight with no issues on tendon damage. The tendon was ~30% or lower after the first pop each time. If you do go disc for heals, save your barrier for stacking on the rolls, those are the most deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    Sure. Pre-nerf all 10 mans had to two-heal because you didn't have -xx% health on tendons. You needed the extra DPS. It's only now with the buff that you can 3-heal it without major issues.
    So, we can do with 2 healer and a SPriest for dispells and tendon damage ? that would be great for my group.

Quote Originally Posted by notwen View Post
    So, we can do with 2 healer and a SPriest for dispells and tendon damage ? that would be great for my group.
    SHADOW PRIESTS CAN >NOT< DISPELL SINGLE TARGET!!!

If you wan't to disspell as shadowpriest you have to use mass dispell, mass dispell is a terrible idea on Spine of Deathwing heroic. You wan't to controll who's got the debuff that reduces damage taken (mainly tanks) and then you don't want to break the mechanic, just spec disc and atonment. It's way more effective and WAY more safe, disc is one of the best healers for spine. The ability to put up a 50k shield on someone that's gripped and have the absorb debuff is often the differance between life and death.

SHADOW PRIESTS CAN >NOT< DISSPELL SINGLE TARGET!!!

did I mention that shadow priests can't dispell?
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if your healers are amazing. Damage is no longer the hard part of this fight (unless you somehow need to take down each tendon in one lift).

I'd say go with three healers, it allows more learning mistakes. And, to be honest, it's quite brutal on the mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luckily i was in the exact same spot as you are... im shadow priest and i switched to discipline for dispels on spine... when you understand the mechanics of the debuff its pretty easy job to do..
    Hideous Amalgamations are casting Blood Corruption: Death on random targets, the more amalgamations there are the more debuffs will you have... ideally you want to dispel BC: Death as soon as possible, then it jumps to another player, it can jump 2-4 times (from my experience) before changing to Blood Corruption: Earth
    When the debuff BC: Earth expires on somebody they will get 1-2 stacks of Blood of Nelthalion buff (-20% dmg taken per stack, stacking up to 2 times!) the amount of stacks the person will get should depend on the time they had it on themselves before it expired
    So you are basically just playing with the debuffs, your goal is to dispel them so that tanks will get the buff first, then healers, then rest of the players, making sure BC: Earth wont expire on somebody who already has 2 stacks cause its a waste... again ideally you want everybody to have 2 stacks of blood of nelthalion as soon as possible
    the jumping is completely random and often pretty annoying, but its pretty easy to do, but if you fail to dispel BC: Death it will deal 1mil dmg to everybody in raid...

You are even so lucky that i am the one who is frapsing our progress and making videos for the guild, so you can check out how it looks from dispeler POV:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl7PrNQLi6w
    i recommend to watch the video for everybody, cause i think the video turned out pretty well

Tip: As discipline go for atonement spec, it will allow you to help with dps on tendons.
    Last edited by Boogar; 2012-05-11 at 08:44 PM.

Is there an addon that successfully tracks who has which debuffs? DBM doesn't call it out, and things like Healbot only seem to track it for a while before they lose it. This was killing us. Maybe it's just a bug in the addons our healers were using, not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogar View Post
    When the debuff BC: Earth expires on somebody they will get 1-2 stacks of Blood of Nelthalion buff (-20% dmg taken per stack, stacking up to 2 times!) the amount of stacks the person will get should depend on the time they had it on themselves before it expired

So you are basically just playing with the debuffs, your goal is to dispel them so that tanks will get the buff first, then healers, then rest of the players, making sure BC: Earth wont expire on somebody who already has 2 stacks cause its a waste...

again ideally you want everybody to have 2 stacks of blood of nelthalion as soon as possible
    the jumping is completely random and often pretty annoying
    Sorry but some very, very wrong points here.

1 earth = 1 buff giving -20% damage taken, stacks to 2.

It doesnt matter at all how long a player have the debuff, if earth goes off on a player he get's -20% damage taken, simple as that.

The jumping is in no way random, it jumps to the player farthest away from the player being dispelled.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    Is there an addon that successfully tracks who has which debuffs? DBM doesn't call it out, and things like Healbot only seem to track it for a while before they lose it. This was killing us. Maybe it's just a bug in the addons our healers were using, not sure.
    I set mine up in grid with priority Death > Earth. Works like a charm, have yet to miss a dispell.

I've been dispelling this fight on my shaman since we started it, and on my priest in my guild's alt run.

1) Use Inner Will when dispelling. The ~500 mana you save with each dispel adds up when you cast it 40+ times each fight.

2) Track Blood Corruption: Death, Blood Corruption: Earth, and Blood of Neltharian (this one is a buff). Ideally, you want to get rid of all Deaths, then you can dispel Earths to get it on a target of your choice, namely 2x on the blood tank, then 1x on everyone else, and 2x on healers after that. Having 2 on the blood tank is essential for the third plate, as that person will be taking as much DPS as the entire rest of the raid is.

3) On rolls, make sure someone else is dispelling if you're using a Divine Hymn, because the 2-3 debuffs that go out on the rolls will blow up on you if you take an 8 second break to hymn.
    Alt-aholics Anonymous member since 2005.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...totemic/simple
    85 Restoration Shaman, Elemental off-spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Melancolie

"1 earth = 1 buff giving -20% damage taken, stacks to 2." = "Blood of Nelthalion buff (-20% dmg taken per stack, stacking up to 2 times!)"

"It doesnt matter at all how long a player have the debuff, if earth goes off on a player he get's -20% damage taken, simple as that."
    if you look closely you will notice that sometimes the debuff gives 2 stacks

"The jumping is in no way random, it jumps to the player farthest away from the player being dispelled."
    dunno where you get this from, you will have to be pretty lucky for this to actually be true... no, look at whatever video on youtube you find and dont make a fool or yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Boogar View Post
    @Melancolie
    "The jumping is in no way random, it jumps to the player farthest away from the player being dispelled."
    dunno where you get this from, you will have to be pretty lucky for this to actually be true... no, look at whatever video on youtube you find and dont make a fool or yourself
    The man actually knows what he's talking about. Although it's not 100% assured, but very likely. If you place your blood tank away from the raid stack before first roll he will get his neltharion stacks instantly.

Required to know or use this fact? No, by no means. Easier if you're 2-healing? most definitely.

Addons: force grid/vuhdo/healbot to use a different color to differentiate earth/death from all other magic debuffs. Set up a big red starburst in the center of your screen through power auras, testing "raid/party member or self" for death. For better results associate the most annoying sound in power auras' arsenal every time it detects death.

I know instantly when there's a death debuff out because a big red pulsing starburst fills up the whole middle of my screen. I look and dispel the person whose health bar is highlighted hot pink. I literally can't screw it up even if I'm daydreaming.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2012-05-12 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @zakaluka

as I said, you will have to be pretty lucky for it to actually be true... I've got around 150 attempts on spine and 3 kills and I never notice it work like that, even when somebody was clearly away from stacked group the debuff was jumping completely random... I am not saying it may not work in some cases, but do not build your strategy around that

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    That's just... so not true. I killed this fight pre-nerf with 3 healers, 2 tanks, and *every* log/video I saw at the time (and believe me, there was much log-browsing) used 3 healers and almost all (except Silent) used 2 tanks although very many had one as bearcat.

However, 2 healing is now viable, even with 2 lifts per tendon - yayy nerfs.