Poll: How do you feel about the anticipation?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Poll: How do you feel about this manufactured anticipation?

Right now we are in that period of pre-launch anticipation. Blizzard, and other companies that do this (i.e. all of them.) would have you believe that the universe will fold itself in half if people were able to play the game just a few hours earlier than their projected launch time.

So do you love this completely manufactured period of anticipation? Do you hate it? Are you somewhere in the middle? Do you think it's unnecessary?(i.e. rather than stick to a pre determined launch date they should launch as soon as they have their resources ready). Or do you think it's best that publishers use every second possible to make sure nothing goes wrong? Discuss!

Where's the "I don't feel strongly either way" option? It's mildly annoying when it's a game I want to play, but I don't hate it.

My god, if companies did things the way you sound as if you want it I would be surprised if we would even have a launch day, prolly have a launch week or month.

There is a reason why they wait and take a systematic approach to get their ducks in a row...especially when there are going to be THIS many people clicking "Connect" at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Where's the "I don't feel strongly either way" option? It's mildly annoying when it's a game I want to play, but I don't hate it.
    When it comes to Diablo, there are only extremes!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    My god, if companies did things the way you sound as if you want it I would be surprised if we would even have a launch day, prolly have a launch week or month.

There is a reason why they wait and take a systematic approach to get their ducks in a row...especially when there are going to be THIS many people clicking "Connect" at the same time.
    I never said how I wanted it. I just wanted to know how people feel about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To you its "Manufactured Anticipation"

To me its "Planning ahead for a massive network disaster and taking steps to minimize traffic"

Basically, you people can complain about dang near anything.

I'm not quite sure I understand.

A launch day is a launch day. It's always been required that you wait until the actual day before the game goes live.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's stupid. If the game has been done for a few days what is the point of waiting for the exact time for it to come out. Like waiting at GameStop for a game at midnight; if they have the game already in new York what difference does it make to get the game in Cali at 10pm not wait the 2 more hours. It's just been sitting in a box inside the store since early in the afternoon anyways. In this case it's just sitting there unable to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

To me its "Planning ahead for a massive network disaster and taking steps to minimize traffic"

The anticipation is manufactured by the fact that a fixed launch date is set and then adhered to. It doesn't necessitate that it's deliberate.

If I was a network Admin, I would totally agree to this.

But I am not one (...yet ) so "Bring it! But I understand why its needed."
    (On Dark Iron, US Realm)

10+ Year Old Account
    where's the: I don't really care option.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not seen Blizzard attempt to make me believe that something amazing is happening at midnight, nor have I seen any other companies attempting to do so.

Of course, I am not a simple-minded internet troll that clicks every ad I see like its going to be the last time I ever see it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is not 'just sitting there'

Servers are not live. Shipping quotas have not been met.

Basically, the issue is that you (the people saying its 'unnecessary) don't understand the entire process of shipping and retailing a game. It's your problem, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublock View Post
    If I was a network Admin, I would totally agree to this.

But I am not one (...yet ) so "Bring it! But I understand why its needed."
    Let's not forget though that companies do this, and always have done this, with non online titles as well.

So while it might be more of a necessity for WoW expansions and Diablo 3, what about "Generic cross platform single player release."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia is putting a lot of bad reviews out there. "Oh noes it's not Diablo II clone!" So hopefully this hype will make people ignore the reviews and try the game before they make a judgement.

Deleted

This. Its not manufactured anticipation, there is not such thing. Its simply anticipation, and if people being excited for something annoys you this much, go see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenchiest View Post
    I'm not quite sure I understand.

A launch day is a launch day. It's always been required that you wait until the actual day before the game goes live.
    Yea I am confused as well. How can you release anything and not have some anticipation? It is a binary state of not being released/released. There is no other state to be in that would alleviate the anticipation. Their resources are ready, they just aren't going to open them up to the public until the predetermined time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Right now we are in that period of pre-launch anticipation. Blizzard, and other companies that do this (i.e. all of them.) would have you believe that the universe will fold itself in half if people were able to play the game just a few hours earlier than their projected launch time.

So do you love this completely manufactured period of anticipation? Do you hate it? Are you somewhere in the middle? Do you think it's unnecessary?(i.e. rather than stick to a pre determined launch date they should launch as soon as they have their resources ready). Or do you think it's best that publishers use every second possible to make sure nothing goes wrong? Discuss!
    i like how blizz pushed for a universal launch but to kiss ass in asia, guess who has it already

so they couldn't launch it MONTHS ago because south korea had problems with the RMAH's fees to list. called it gambling. they fixed that and now they get it first

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I won't catch Diablo till July when i'm done with my exams, so who cares :<

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    So while it might be more of a necessity for WoW expansions and Diablo 3, what about "Generic cross platform single player release."
    The game, book, movie, etc all have to be released at one point and a lot of work and effort is put in by the players/readers/watchers to be first just look at how much attention there are to the midnight releases, Mass Effect 3 which is a primarily a single player game drew a lot of that kind of attention. When the people as a whole wants to consume the material that whatever company releases, it forces the company to establish when and then tries to give everyone an equal chance at being "first"

Also as others pointed out there are still packaging, shipping, etc that goes with retail and the physical boxes that people still buy.
    (On Dark Iron, US Realm)

Deleted
    This poll really makes no sense for anyone who understands what's involved in publishing.