Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    Hello all!

I am definitely a confirmed utter noob at this game. I've been playing something like 4 days, and I am admittedly not remotely good at it; but I am having a world of fun learning and playing.

Though it's not probably the most ideal or easiest for someone as inexperienced, I chose to play a Night Elf Druid because that really is what appeals to me the most. I've been going around and trying to enjoy it, but I find that everywhere I go, especially if I try to test the waters of the PvP battlegrounds or once (never again) a dungeon... everyone is really quite mean about my stats etc.

"LOL a 15 druid. You're no use to anyone, just leave."
    "Your stats are awful. Just leave."
    "AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at this noobs stats"
    etc etc ad infinitum

And It's just so demoralising and simply crap. The first time I attempted to play a dungeon I got voted out before we'd even started. It's just ruining the game for me in terms of the multiplayer aspects...

So... I guess I'm looking for maybe some sort of affirmation that it's not always like that? That at some point it gets a bit better... or... when you were a noob were you 'abused'?

Nice to meet you on such a sour tone. I'm Sean, and barring that, I love this game. (why did it take me so long to consider trying it out?!?!)
    I wish i was in your place, i need that noob feeling.

I blame LFG tool.There was an increase in retard population after it was available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I came to GW2 from WoW, had no difficulties learning what to do and when. Some encounters are tuned so that you cannot handle them alone, but once with a few people to back you up it's just spam abilities when fitting and dodge around. Not that different from kiting as a hunter in PVP/extreme soloing in WoW.

WoW, just like all other games, has a learning curve. Anyone saying differently is a moron. I'm outperforming most other players for a reason. If it was so simple and easy and dumbed down, then everyone would be pulling their chars to the full potential and raid Heroics for progression.
    True, and this is where rotation comes to play. Everyone can be at full potential if they knew their rotations. Rotation/Priority is the learning curve you speak of.
    If the game isnt simple, Blizzard wouldnt have your spells light up for you to hit. They didnt have this in Wrath or previous expansions.

Deleted
    Because they can get away with it. This is the only answer.

And yes, when I started playing got my share of problems. And as such, whenever I met a bad player, it didn't really matter if they said it was new or not, I'd whisper them asking them if they want to sit 10-15 min after the dungeon ended (alas, in bgs you can't do it) so I can give some advice. If they said sure, I'd sit and give advice, if they'd say "I know how to play" when clearly playing bad I'd just consider they're also jerks and kick them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Sean.
    I am sorry that you are having a rough go of it so far when dealing with others. Just like the rest of the Internet, people are really brave and rude in game when they feel like they will never see that person again, etc, etc. There are TONS of nice people in the game, but unfortunately the jerks are more vocal. First thing that I would suggest is to get to one of the big cities, so for you Stormwind. In trade chat, see if there are any leveling guilds you can join. From there, hopefully you have a couple people in the guild who may have toons you can level with on occasion and ask questions to, etc. Next, as far as gear, here is where the people are coming from. They probably are not new to the game and are more in a mindset of their 85 toons where stats matter a lot. If you are wearing something like strength or int while you are a kitty druid, or agi as a booomkin or dodge as a healer, they probably assume you aren't a person that will keep up with the chain pulling that old dungeons are now, when people are in all their gear that can be passed form toon to toon called BOA gear, which has made leveling very fast. They are looking for super fast clears to get to the next dungeon. Are you a tank or a healer or damage (dps)? While one person not keeping up with the group is not even an issue nowadays, they may still have the mentality that they want all people pulling awesome numbers or something. If you are a tank, people want to feel like the tank kinda has an idea what is going on. If you are a healer, wearing gear that is not helpful to healers could impact your healing and slow the group. Even on this site there are great guides to each spec and what stats you want, which will actually matter as you level up higher. Even though the guides are more for 85s, it does give you an idea of what you want to aim for.
    That being said, I hope you continue having fun and meet some great people! I started as a NE druid, too, and as a girl who had never played a single game. I had no idea what was happening half the time, and I miss that so much! Enjoy yourself and best wishes!

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And yet they have a zero tolerance for bad language and griefing. People thinking GW2 will be free of this behaviour are fools, or just wearing pink sunglasses.
    When was the last time you heard of anyone getting permanently banned for swearing at someone or greifing someone in wow? I never said gw2 will be free of it, but at least when it does occur you can know that something will be done about it.

On the other hand Blizzard will give people hundreds of second chances because they are paying a subscription fee. You're kidding yourself if you think Blizzard has a zero tolerance policy on anything that will cost them money to enforce.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volbian View Post
    I feel sorry for new people who are gonna play GW2. There's no hand-holding in that game, unlike WOW.
    I tend to think this is actually better for noobs.

Get your ass handed to you on every quest = learn to play.
    Everything easy = get lazy and worse player.

Some people have been playing this game far too long to remember when they started and like others have said....some ppl on the internet are just assholes because there is no consequence. Find a leveling guild and make some friends so you can form your own dungeon groups. Don't use the LFD or LFR if you wan't to have fun.

The best time I have had recently in wow is when 5 of us rolled new toons on another server with no heirlooms, no gold and no 85 toons to help out with professions. It has been a ton of fun and something alot of people should try out.

i wouldnt worry too much about being vote kicked from dungeons. the game has timers built into it where it cant happen all the time, even to the point where they cant kick you at all (the 4 hour lockout)

if you refuse to do them, then youll likely get bored, especially as you reach the top half of the levels
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Deleted
    I always have time for someone who wants to get better, and will try to share my knowledge with them without being really harsh (ex : no votekick on sight)

I have no fucking time for someone who thinks he's 1337 and that he's the one carrying us with his awesome skills.
    Fuck that guy and his 2k dps. (Yes I just had one today, a feral with 2k dps. I could do more than that with no gear and no spec...)

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    I tend to think this is actually better for noobs.

Get your ass handed to you on every quest = learn to play.
    Everything easy = get lazy and worse player.
    no. Getting your ass handed to you on every quest just triggers the rage quit. its why all other games tend to lose half or more of their player base within 3 months of launch.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

I think the problem is that people are forced to level up and grind gear IF they want to participate in the fun part of the game (which isn't levelling for a lot of people).

So they want to do it the fastest possible in order to just start playing. And by start playing I mean start raiding/arenas.

I know that's the case for me. Hardly feel any fun levelling up or doing the same boring dungeon over and over just to get valor points in order to remain competitive. But PvPing at end-game and raiding are still a lot of fun, so i'm kind of forced to do those boring things to keep on having fun =P

At least you are willing to learn, that's the important thing. Simply tell them that low level content is far from important, and if they are aiming to be the best level 15, then they don't matter on the grand scale of things. I'd suggest questing, as it is tons of fun the first time through the game...so much nostalgia...I envy the new players. Lol, good luck.

the game is good and very fun
    but yes the community has become very very bad unfortunately

Deleted
    Best thing you can do is find a guild (assuming you only came to the game because of friends in the 1st place) that you can enjoy, and hopefully can have people helping you about. There is so much in the game to explore and learn, I wouldn't even bother with dungeons on your 1st toon - just go and enjoy the world, and when you become more seasoned, then dive into dungeons etc.

This saddens me, I have never kicked nor voted to kick anyone out of a group without good reason. The reasons people put are so ignorant and immature, such a sad way to spend time. I always make sure to be nice to everyone, you do meet some stupid people who use the 'nub' excuse which is fine, but I don't let it get to me. I remember my times playing as a newbie and people were always telling me eloquently how to do things, like... not get over excited and focus on healing haha. We've all been through it but I guess some people forget that.

I haven't.

Deleted
    In my day quest objects didn`t sparkle and we still ran kms to find them
    and we did...and we learned through hard work, perseverance, trial and error

Take that as you will

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MugenNoKaze View Post
    the game is good and very fun
    but yes the community has become very very bad unfortunately
    what community?
    lfd tool rewards being a leeching douche with 0 accountability

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people just forget that this game is ment to be a way to Relax from normal Days life. Instead of having fun with other people or cherish if they level up every now and then its "I need to get that UP as fast as possible! I dont care for anyone but me!". Some may assume that every low Char must be the alt of some experienced Player.. they seem to ignore that they were in a similar position when they started playing.

Back in the days before LFG i guided new player tanks. I told them how they should do it, threated them with respect and added them to my friendlist. Over time those got very good Players and one of those i tutored later tanked Arthas together with me. I even do it todays too but most people get enraged if you try to give them a constructive-minded hint.

I really cant understand what those douchbags are thinking..

@ OP: try to find some guys from your own Server who are nice and dont mind answering questions. Dont even ask in /2 cause from 15 replies only 0,5 is even worth reading. Try to find a guy that plays your class and whispere him some questions.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2012-05-17 at 04:14 PM.

There is a lot of sexually frustrated teen boys in WoW (same as any online game), and they release that frustration by turning into internet badazzes.

Deleted
    It doesn't get better. You will see people calling each other noobs and arguing like immature little schoolchildren all the way to 85. Most people playing WoW have played it for years and have forgotten what it's like to be completely new to the game. They have little tolerance for anything that might make their dungeon run 10 nanoseconds slower. They expect you to become a veritable professor of WoW game mechanics before you even set foot in any dungeon.

The best you can do is to ignore them and not allow yourself to become like them. Find some like-minded people and stick with them.

Deleted
    Sorry for the Necro, just wanted to pop back and say thank you for everyone who gave me advice on this thread back when I began playing. I did power through the horrible dungeons and ended up a Blood Elf Priest and now raid fervently with a bunch of nice people, in a lovely community, and barring the occasional HC Dungeon with a horrific group (which I promptly bitch about on healing forums) I'm really glad I kept at it. Thank you all for your support.