Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What expac had the best lore?

I'm sure everyone has discussed what their favorite expansion was considering everything that happened during it, but I haven't heard much about expansions from purely a lore perspective. So my question is, considering only the story line, how it moved the lore forward, and how well it immersed you, (even if you weren't much of a lore nerd before) and not the quality of the raid and leveling content itself, Which expansion was the best?

For me, the best expansion was wrath. Despite wrath carrying with it the biggest decline in challenge within the game, to me, it felt like pretty much every quest, dungeon, and raid you did was immersive and made you feel like you were helping the fight against the Lich King (who is up there with my favorite WoW bad guys).
    Last edited by Renjykk; 2013-07-27 at 12:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOTLK for me. Most expansions moved the lore forward fine for me, but I have the fewest gripes about Wrath. Plus, the Norse theme and Ulduar and Yogg-Saron was just fantastic for me.

Deleted
    im pretty sure that number one is Wrath.

Deleted
    Lore: Wrath Content: Bc and Wrath

10+ Year Old Account
    WOTLK for me too, LK always my favorite character from WoW, i loved the whole expac, i was a bit upset not much was done with the spider kingdom though, i feel blizzard could have done so much more with that.
    now BC, illidan of course being one of my favorite people in warcraft, but they handled the lore so badly in that expansion building up to black temple, if they had more lore and story while leveling it would have topped wotlk maybe.
    now i'm finding the stories of cata/mop less interesting because i don't really know the characters, and struggling to have interest in characters that are introduced. but i think in general mmos are bad at story telling, i think WoW needs a new RTS to build some story for future expacs.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    I think it is hard to argue against Wrath having the best lore. LK was just the perfet villain and they wrote the story beautifully.

Yup, I would agree with Wrath as well. I still love going there on alts, despite having gone through Northrend a dozen or so times on alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath.

Can I move this to WoW Gen? Doesn't seem raiding specific.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Wrath 2. MoP 3. Cata 4. BC 5. Vanilla.

I'd go with MoP. The Mogu, the mantid, Jinyu, Saurok. So many different races with their own cultures and history.

Wrath would be my second pick, it certainly had a strong theme but some parts didn't feel right. The Lich King played off too much like a Saturday morning cartoon villain, always letting you live till next time. Vanilla third for adding a whole world. Fourth Cata, it failed to meet it's potential. Last for me is BC for killing characters left and right because corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best lore: wrath

Most lore: mop
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Frozen Throne

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont particulary have a centric xpac with best lore, the Warcraft universe perse is amazing, recently the Mogu have become one of my favorite stories/villans in the game, I just love how they are souless evil ''child'' of the titans, trying to carry out thier work but doing it in a evil and mercyless way. The mantid are pretty geat too. Overall, this xpac has had amazing storylines, and in the past LK's and the emergance of KJ's have been good highpoints. I just dont particulary fanboy over one story like a lot of people :/

Though if im honest, I just cant freaking wait for Azsahra and Nzoth, Azshara specially beeing really intresting to me since War of the ancients, not to mention all the lovecraft goodies that could come with Nzoth.

Hehe, I thought a lot of people would agree with me, but I must say, I think lorewalker cho has single-handedly made MoP very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! More old gods please!

mists
    wrath
    vanilla
    cata

bc can go die in a fucking pit of fire
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Wrath for sure. Although every xpac had at least some interesting lore...even Cata.

"Best" lore is a hard thing to rate really. Majority of people will love Wrath/TBC due to the villains being major lore figures. While Deathwing and Kel'Thuzad were large lore figures too, they weren't played out nearly as much in anything before their xpac so most people didn't really know/care much about them, read: Warcraft RTS series. Then there is MoP with no real anything to go on... it had a lot of lore because it's all new but is it interesting to everyone? Who knows. I personally love the mantid and hate the rest of them.

For me - Wrath = TBC > MoP > Vanilla = Cata

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath. There's really no contest here.

Quote Originally Posted by Renjykk View Post
    Hehe, I thought a lot of people would agree with me, but I must say, I think lorewalker cho has single-handedly made MoP very interesting.
    I agree...I hope we see the Lorewalkers or someone similar in future xpacs, it was a great approach to covering major storylines in MoP. Especially since you could revisit Cho and hear a certain aspect of lore again if you happened to forget the details.