Poll: Do you want a Warcraft 4?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Maybe because all of that reminds us of WoW and most of us will be playing Warcraft to get as far away from the crap known as WoW?

It would not make sense for Blizzard to alienate the remaining Warcraft fans by shoving craptastic WoWlore down our throats.

The majority of WoW players are 12 year olds that don't actually even read quest text, so lore doesn't matter in WoW. However, the majority of Warcraft players would be adults with lots of lore knowledge.
    You are allowed to dislike WoW's lore but could you please stop shitting on everyone who isn't you? You keep making these broad generalizations, you're not making any points to drive this discussion forward, and whether you are doing so intentionally or not you certainly seem to be trying to drag this discussion into a flame-war. Hell even on the lore-front, the side you are so vehemently raiding against, you've yet to give any real examples to your point.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Maybe because all of that reminds us of WoW and most of us will be playing Warcraft to get as far away from the crap known as WoW?

It would not make sense for Blizzard to alienate the remaining Warcraft fans by shoving craptastic WoWlore down our throats.

The majority of WoW players are 12 year olds that don't actually even read quest text, so lore doesn't matter in WoW. However, the majority of Warcraft players would be adults with lots of lore knowledge.
    And here we have it, ladies and gentlemen: The people who played Warcraft 3 and feel utter butthurt over the changes and/or retcons in WoW.
    Now I've played since Warcraft 1, read all the books, played WoW since the closed EU beta in november '04 - And I can honestly say, that there is nothing wrong with WoW lore. It is not crap. Is it fantastic and without any plotholes - of course not. Nor is Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire or Star Wars (I'd like to make it crystal clear that I am not comparing these franchises, just pointing out that if it's human made - then there will be errors).

The most common "WoW lore is crap!" is usually the die-hard Arthas and/or Illidan fan who feels utterly cheated at how those individuals stories ended - too bad I say. Shit happens. Was I happy when Orgrim "Muthafuckin'" Doomhammer was impaled by Jeff the Random Knight? Of course not. Was I happy when Thrall decided to save the world and leave Garrosh in charge? Of course not. Was I happy when Darth Vader didn't get to rule the Galaxy? Of course not. Was I happy when Khal Drogo was left braindead? Of course not.

However I realised that shit happens in stories (or ficional universes) and sitting and going "THIS IS CRAP!" instead of actually bothering to see the grand picture is beyond childish. And this is what I suggest most of the "WoW lore is crap!!!" people do, not to mention that I also suggest that about 85% of them actually bother to learn the lore, since most of the people just jumped the "I hate X! bandwagon.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I hope prequel. There are a lot of unexplored lore involving dragons and the Old Gods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Imagine attacking Icecrown Citadel RTS style. Oh god all of my money!
    <Snip meme image>

<Do not post meme images they do not add any value to the discussion, thanks>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-05-20 at 02:41 PM.

Tbh I wouldn't really care what one of them they'd choose, both would be nice, as long as I get my Warcraft 4 with an enhanced World Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't create Warcraft IV around the story of WoW.

We have the Original Firelord and Black Flight campaign of Vanilla. We have the War of the Shifting Sands. Then the Campaign against the scourge from Naxxramas. We then have the Outland campaign which include destroying Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidanm, Magtheridon, and Gruul. We then have the Northrend campaign and the Ulduar. Then we have the total destruction of the Black Flight and Twilight Hammer. Then Destruciton of Ragnaros and Deathwing. That itself could make hours of RTS. That's no even including the side stories from the entire game!
    Although I support this idea the most. MMOs are no good at telling stories, WoW butchered so many elements of the Warcraft series, I would love this.

With SC 2 out there? Not going to happen for the next 5-6 years, if ever.

I would like to see a warcraft 4 at some point.

This is my opinion but I think they could either make a Warcraft 4 where it is in the future to set up lore for a new WoW xpac, Or they could make a warcraft 4 that is around the time just before Vanilla Wow. I don't remember exactly how much time there was between Warcraft 3 and WoW but I think it was something like 10 years. If that is the case than they could make Warcraft 4 about five years or so before WoW.

Deleted
    I'd have to disagree with Skelington on this point.

I think that for example the backlash on Pandas is partly because a lot of the people that grew up with WoW are a lot older now. Not that there haven't always been silly things in WoW, but I think that the fanbase is less tolerant of these things. I'd wager that the majority of the Warcraft fanbase is over 18, as opposed to most other games being in the 10-14 bracket.

You have to mature with your audience me thinks.
    I'll always remember them pandaren in WC3 - And finally my prayers to the panda gods have been answered!

Pandaren - homies - here I come bro's. Together we'll create awesome memories!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I would like to see a warcraft 4 at some point.

This is my opinion but I think they could either make a Warcraft 4 where it is in the future to set up lore for a new WoW xpac, Or they could make a warcraft 4 that is around the time just before Vanilla Wow. I don't remember exactly how much time there was between Warcraft 3 and WoW but I think it was something like 10 years. If that is the case than they could make Warcraft 4 about five years or so before WoW.
    It is 10 years exactly. As Matoclaw states in Hyjal: "A decade since the battle against Archimonde".

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It is 10 years exactly. As Matoclaw states in Hyjal: "A decade since the battle against Archimonde".
    The time between would be pretty boring, since we all know the things that is going to happen in 10 years. Also, a few books cover this part.

Future if anything. Probably fairly long into the future, to make a clean playground.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    The time between would be pretty boring, since we all know the things that is going to happen in 10 years. Also, a few books cover this part.

Future if anything. Probably fairly long into the future, to make a clean playground.
    Hmm... I guess one could have a Warcraft 4 that takes place... Say 20-30 years into the future and then have WoW cover those 20-30 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Far in the future, far in the past, or the near future...I don't really care...I just want a Warcraft 4. It will happen eventually, although I don't think soon...and it will be great. Hell, I'd settle for another expansion for Warcraft 3.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Hmm... I guess one could have a Warcraft 4 that takes place... Say 20-30 years into the future and then have WoW cover those 20-30 years?
    It just wouldn't really work. Look at GW2, it's 250 years after GW. If they make a Warcraft game over a Starcraft game, a WoW 2 would come after, or WoW would just sit as a ghost game.

But I don't seem them kick Starcraft out as their RTS, with air units and all.

Yes. Set far in the future.
    "I wonder what it would be like if they set Warcraft far far in the future..." - Jim Raynor
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

I'd have to disagree with Skelington on this point.

I think that for example the backlash on Pandas is partly because a lot of the people that grew up with WoW are a lot older now. Not that there haven't always been silly things in WoW, but I think that the fanbase is less tolerant of these things. I'd wager that the majority of the Warcraft fanbase is over 18, as opposed to most other games being in the 10-14 bracket.

You have to mature with your audience me thinks.
    you have a funny definition of "mature"
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

I feel the best options for Warcraft IV would be to set it hundreds or thousands of years in the future, an anthology type series that fills in all of the wars in Warcraft's past (Battles from Argus, the War of the Ancients, the Troll Wars, the War of the Shifting Sands, the Troll/Aqir wars, or even the wars against the Titans and Old Gods), or to split WoW and Warcraft IV into different timelines, both beginning right after Warcraft III.

To argue for the distant future or to split the timelines, I believe that WoW would be too constrained to the lore of Warcraft IV if it was set in the near future. Not that would be terrible, but it would put a lot of constraint on the developers to create future expansions and storylines in WoW. Splitting the timelines may be trickier and may make some people feel angry or cheated, but considering all the timeline story developments, it's not without merit. As for an anthology game, I believe a straight up prequel, such as strictly the War of the Ancients, would be dull from a storyline perspective unless it contributed something significant, but currently obscured to the storyline of WoW.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

The thing people calling pandaren childish seem to forget, is that Pandaren were the #1 requested race for quite some time. While some people are unhappy with them, many more are eagerly awaiting them.

I'm against the idea of a Warcraft 4 until WoW has run its course. If they make it a prequel, then you have the problems that come with prequels: We know more or less how it will end. If they make a sequel, it will have to be very, very far removed from the current Warcraft timeline to prevent them spoiling future WoW content, which would be a bad move imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    The thing people calling pandaren childish seem to forget, is that Pandaren were the #1 requested race for quite some time. While some people are unhappy with them, many more are eagerly awaiting them.

I'm against the idea of a Warcraft 4 until WoW has run its course. If they make it a prequel, then you have the problems that come with prequels: We know more or less how it will end. If they make a sequel, it will have to be very, very far removed from the current Warcraft timeline to prevent them spoiling future WoW content, which would be a bad move imo.
    They only call pandaren childish because the whole "omg kung fu panda" bullcrap. Pandaren have existed long before Kung Fu Panda did and anyone who thinks pandaren don't fit in warcraft need to really sit down and look at all the other completely idiotic races.

Panda men are clearly not ok, but its fine that there are everything from Walrus men to Crab People.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Unless they just repeat existing lore, like the War of the Ancients, the storyline will probably be terrible.

Now that I think of it, I really really want a War of the Ancients game. Without all the time traveling shit.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-19 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg View Post
    They only call pandaren childish because the whole "omg kung fu panda" bullcrap. Pandaren have existed long before Kung Fu Panda did and anyone who thinks pandaren don't fit in warcraft need to really sit down and look at all the other completely idiotic races.

Panda men are clearly not ok, but its fine that there are everything from Walrus men to Crab People.
    To play devils advocate, they also have the arguement of 'ok yeah we've had walrus people, but they were never the focus of an entire expansion.'