Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New & Upcoming MMO's

I was a big wow fan for years until I just couldn't take the low polygon count anymore.
    Tried most of the major mmo's out there too... in 2011 my favorites were Rift, LOTR and EQ2 in that order.

2012 was supposed to be the year of the MMO.
    - But SWTOR pretty much flopped, I quit after one month like most other people.
    - Tera is awesome to play but has a rather small community, so I worry about it's future, hopefully it becomes like Rift with a small healthy player base.
    - GW2, Meh, it looks like a 5 year old game to me... bad animations, skinning that bends bones, poor interaction of the toons with the floor, etc.
    I do realize people are loving GW2, so I'm not trying to stir up trouble, they just have not refined things in the graphics that bother my particuar tastes.
    I'll eventually try it when there's a free trial... but doubt I'll last more than a Saturday afternoon...
    - Secret World, well it's a niche game, zombies in an mmo, ok.... I'll even pass the free trial on this one.

My general feeling is that once we get through all the hype of 2012, Tera will have siphoned a few people off of wow just like Rift did.
    But besdies that most of the mmo community will be rolling pandas - and playing wow just like last year.

So what's the hype for 2013? What new mmo's are coming on? What's supposed to be hot?
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

Sounds like you're looking for a MMO that doesn't exist...

Secret World isn't really about "zombies" generically. It's basically the X-Files MMO-- all kinds of weird stuff from demons to zombies, lizard men and the hollow earth.

Archeage
    Wildstar
    Planetside 2
    Firefall
    Elder Scrolls Online
    Neverwinter
    Wizardy Online
    Blade & Soul

All look pretty interesting & worth a try to me. In the end that is how it is with all games; you try them, make note the design and think about what makes them tick just so.

Elder Scrolls Online? omfg!
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

I'm most looking forward to Guild Wars 2, it looks very innovative and different than WoW. I've pre-purchased it to try the beta this weekend. I'm looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online in 2015 since I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall way back in 1996, but I am concerned that it might be too much a clone of WoW, I'll buy it anyway but I hope it's not a disappointment. In the meantime I have yet to finish the main questline in Skyrim or defeat Diablo 3 so I have lots to keep me busy. And oh, yeah I still have my WoW subscription but I just log in 2 nights a week mostly to help my guild raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest interest is phantasy star online 2 with blade and soul then guild wars 2, but since guild war 2 is gonna be out 1st guess its at the top o the list.

Quote Originally Posted by necromus View Post
    I'm looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online in 2015 since I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall way back in 1996, but I am concerned that it might be too much a clone of WoW
    From what I've seen so far it looks more like a GW2 clone.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    From what I've seen so far it looks more like a GW2 clone.
    Let's not start throwing the "clone" term around...

Deleted
    Titan!!!!!!!!!!

I've got my eye on Dominus, Planetside 2 and The Secret World
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

OP's post is a good example of unrealistic expectations. Every MMO has its own pros and cons; the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll be able to give each MMO you try a fair and unbiased chance to be enjoyed. It really sounds to me like you've probably grown out of MMO gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I've got my eye on Dominus, Planetside 2 and The Secret World
    Dominus got canned earlier this year.

http://lorehound.com/news/pitchblack...ncels-dominus/

I think you're far underestimating guild wars 2. Precisely because they didn't blow their wad on graphics is why this game is going to have a chance to be a rather good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online? omfg!
    Somewhat related

WARING EXTREME OVERREACTION/JOKE VIDEO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasnt so shore about the Guild wars 2 hype myself i had been following it since announcement but after playing the first bwe weekend the pvp sold me

the problem with The old republic lies somewhat with the hero engine and when i heard The Eldar scrolls is using it that game became dead to me on day one

on another note Age of Wushu coming out soon looks to have potential With running on water and jumping up buildings crouching tiger hidden dragon / house of 1000 daggers style
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

I'd suggest giving planetside 2 and gw2 a spin. Judging gw2 for graphical glitches seems like a stupid idea, especially since it's still in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    the problem with The old republic lies somewhat with the hero engine and when i heard The Eldar scrolls is using it that game became dead to me on day one
    TES Online is going to use an in-house engine. They're apparently just using the Hero Engine as a "whiteboard" to test out ideas.

And the issues with the version of the Hero Engine (a heavily modified beta version) that SWTOR had at launch are mostly gone now. They've done a TON of work to optimize it and improve how it runs on setups of all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Somewhat related

Oh god... I share his sentiments 100%. Another fucking raiding game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Somewhat related

Heh. The irony being the MMO market hasn't historically supported esoteric MMOs. An interesting note is the more atypical MMOs are often forced to go F2P or they simply fade into relative obscurity. Yet even the less than "10.5m subs" (wink wink) MMOs with a more typical structure can thrive for years & turn profit.

I never understand why "gamers", I use the term loosely w/ a bit of derision, are so willing to complain about regurgitated mechanics yet don't back anything outside the mainstream box.

Somewhat amusing too is the fact the TES franchise has been firmly aimed at a mass market, specifically console market, for the last 2 installments. Which were the most pared down mechanically speaking, and most successful.

"Gamers". /snort

Are there any MMOs coming out with the features of the old SWG?

I'm talking dynamic resource spawning, harvesters, crafting, player cities / housing?

I really loved the crafting and decorating in SWG.

A skill based leveling system (rather than level based) would be nice too.