Deleted

If our consciousness, according to the "star trek teleportation principle" [..]

If our consciousness, according to the "star trek teleportation principle" was deleted and remade in the case of a complete restructuring of the self, doesn't that mean, every single moment of our lives, our selfs are restructuring, dying and resurrecting, since we are nothing but a collection of basic elements?

Deleted
    Firstly, that is one reeeeeeally long sentence.

Secondly, yes. Getting teleported is essentially having your atoms deconstructed wherever you are, and the same exact composition of (different) atoms being reconstructed in a different location. It is not really you on the other side.

For this reason I would never agree to be teleported, but I'm sure some people would not mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    For this reason I would never agree to be teleported, but I'm sure some people would not mind.
    Same here.

To me, to say you aren't dead is illogical. Though I don't know for certain, large risk of death > convenience.

Well, human consciousness is a combination of the parts, right?

Deleted
    Firstly, that is one reeeeeeally long sentence.

Secondly, yes. Getting teleported is essentially having your atoms deconstructed wherever you are, and the same exact composition of (different) atoms being reconstructed in a different location. It is not really you on the other side.

Teleportation like that is impossible anyway because although it might be possible to reconstruct the brain on atom by atom and maybe even the current electrical charges in it, it is impossible to determine the quantum states or atoms. The copy will not be you but more like an identical twin with all your memories. However it wont make the same decisions as you and will grow more and more different from the original as time passes.

Deleted
    Same thing happens to us every piko-second. Scary, Isn't it?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Teleportation like that is impossible anyway because although it might be possible to reconstruct the brain on atom by atom and maybe even the current electrical charges in it, it is impossible to determine the quantum states or atoms. The copy will not be you but more like an identical twin with all your memories. However it wont make the same decisions as you and will grow more and more different from the original as time passes.
    Which is exactly why Star Trek had to use the Deus ex Machina of inventing the "Heisenberg Compensator." In reality (are we talking about reality in this thread?) at this point it would not be possible.

If we are talking hypothetically, which I suppose we would have to be, then no I wouldn't have a problem teleporting. Assuming the technology exists and is safe would be a prerequisite for this hypothetical question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    Same thing happens to us every piko-second. Scary, Isn't it?
    Erm, please explain?

Erm, please explain?
    Probably referring to the fact that our bodies is "reborn" every 10 years or so, meaning when 10 years have passed most of what you're made up of has been replaced by new cells. But this doesn't seem to affect the whole body, I believe the neurons in our brain don't get replaced amongst other things.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    The copy will not be you but more like an identical twin with all your memories. However it wont make the same decisions as you and will grow more and more different from the original as time passes.
    Actually even you without a copy would make different decisions.

If we turned the clock back and replayed history - not from a recorded state, but a restarted state - it would unfold differently.

This is because of the uncertainty principle. At least by some small probability the world will not be the same because the quantum states can not be exactly the same in a replaying of history.

There is no determinism.

edit: The most impressive example is the big bang. If we turned the clock back and did it again from the exact same initial state, due to uncertainty, it would unfold completely different.

Not only our earth may not exist, the whole galaxy and most probably cluster of galaxies wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account

While true by current ideas lets not get ahead of ourselves here. If there is ONE thing i have learned from looking at history AND reading up on things like quantum physics it's that almost everytime we've said something isn't possible it's been proven to be possible. So i would't rule it out myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    While true by current ideas lets not get ahead of ourselves here. If there is ONE thing i have learned from looking at history AND reading up on things like quantum physics it's that almost everytime we've said something isn't possible it's been proven to be possible. So i would't rule it out myself.
    We might copy it but it won't be 100% accurate.

However, we will not see a difference. It will be 100% for us. We do not need 100% accuracy.

For example, we copy now bits and bytes with 100% accuracy. However, the states of the basic elements that make the tools for that "100%" accuracy, are not 100% identical. An analogy may exist with a whole human. Some parts might not be identical, but they might be enough to make our perception see it identical.

I believe this WILL happen. We've gone from basic machinery before 200 years to the laptop, and we went from caves to philosophy in antiquity.

We'll do impressive things that will make us look primitive.

I see teleportation (when not in too advanced a science fiction piece) described as 'faxing' a person instead of a piece of paper. Now, with that logic, we'd need to be able to come up with a machine to 'print' 3D human tissue. Not only that, but also print it in a fully assembled state. I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility (there are scientists working on a device right now http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20002741-52.html ), but printing a whole human with speed and accuracy enough for a feasible teleport is still a ways beyond us.

Now of course there are theoretical concepts like wormholes and many science fiction works use 'portal energy' that engulfs a person to turn them into energy, and magically reassembles them on the other side, but without a significant leap in the discovery of how we can get the energy or foreign particles that make up these concepts we have to stick to ideas that we know.

As for whether or not I'd use one... well it depends on where I'm at in life. Sure, the consciousness on the other side might not be me, but it also might be. Consciousness is a funny thing science doesn't always have a complete grip on, but to be safe, I wouldn't use a teleport without being prepared for the worst, and I certainly wouldn't use it regularly.
    Last edited by jishdefish; 2012-06-16 at 01:07 PM.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com