Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Damage meter in-game?

Does anyone miss this feature?
    Yes, I know we can use MoX, but still this thing dont show others ppl dmg done. And in pug environment, ppl dont use it anyway. Organized guilds are another matter, but im just not in one.
    Why im writing this? I must say when I play my dps chars, I miss that competition between dpsers which always existed (in wow atleast).
    W/o dmg meter, i cant compare my performance to others and playing dps char is somewhat boring to me, I miss a goal, a goal to improve. I dont know if im very good, or maybe I suck very much. Hell, I would like to see if maybe my companion is outdpsing me
    And thats the main reason I play mostly tank or heal chars, where meter dont matter much.

Our guild has been using this recently and I find it awesome

http://www.swtorcombatlogs.com/

Easy to install, easy to sync, ready checks, real time logging, not a resource hog, love it love it love it. Closet i've come to have recount in Swtor.

The only downside is being a concealment operative my DPS sucks and now everyone knows

Deleted
    IMHO damage meters are good and bad.
    I used one in WoW to help me decide on my action priorities and devise a nice 'rotation'.
    They are also a real PITA when you are on your early HCs and people who clearly out gear you are publishing the results just to enlarge their epeen.
    It's a tough one because you don't want people kicking others out of a group because their gear is not up to scratch or they are not optimizing their rotation for MAXIMUM dps but on the other side of the coin there is currently no way to identify proper slackers.
    IMO the only DPS meter that truely matters is whether or not the boss is dead before he enrages

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Does anyone miss this feature?
    No if you beat a boss that should be enough.
    Yes, I know we can use MoX, but still this thing dont show others ppl dmg done.
    especially no, that just brings on elitests and loudmouth idiots.

If you feel the need to get excitement at the expense of or by comparing yourself to others play PVP.

It's not actually that hard to get a feel of how well you are dpsing if you pay attention. Even in add-on crazy WoW i never used recount or anything like that but when the few attention seekers posted a ranking I was always in the higher half of dpsers. Again the thing that matters in PVE is that the boss goes down. If it's not there are easy ways to tell where/when the problem occurs, talk it over, no finger pointing just communication rather then charts and blame games.

I understand how some people like to use them for self improvement but the bad meters do far outweigh the few people who use them constructively. Not to mention the annoying nobodies who constantly like to promote themselves like "XXXX dps class lf guild/group"

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    been seeing some complaints from ppl getting banned for using gaming mice with the mouse's software installed on the computer.
    Good because it's essentially cheating and I'm glad those lazy people are gone.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2012-06-12 at 10:51 AM.

Is swtorcombatlogs legal? Or could you get banned for using 3rd party software?

been seeing some complaints from ppl getting banned for using gaming mice with the mouse's software installed on the computer.

You are correct, the only DPS check that really matters is a dead boss. The problem starts when you're having troubles downing a boss, with no meters you have no idea who's underperforming and no way to tweak your own performance.

The great thing about this particular meter and really the swtor system is it's only used within guilds. Sure people might start doing the whole "LFG must have meter installed" but that's unlikely. Meters used correctly are possibly the greatest tool you'll have to increase performance.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 12:11 PM ----------

I've not thought of that to be honest but even if a ban did occur it should be relatively easy to prove your innocence. Bioware know people are using these types of program and are encouraging it.

The people who claim they were banned for using mouse software have always seemed a little suspect to me, the swtor endorsed mouse has these features so it seems strange you would be penalised for using it. Essentially cheating? That's a fairly dramatic response but hey each to their own!

The SWTOR mouse is legal and the program is legal. People who were reporting this was using other mouses than the SWTOR mouse, like the Steelseries WoW mouse etc.

As it does sound like an easy problem to fix with CS, we have to remember that the CS at this time is a little sub-standard of what we are used to in "that other game which we cannot name".

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    No if you beat a boss that should be enough.

especially no, that just brings on elitests and loudmouth idiots.

If you feel the need to get excitement at the expense of or by comparing yourself to others play PVP.

I understand how some people like to use them for self improvement but the bad meters do far outweigh the few people who use them constructively. Not to mention the annoying nobodies who constantly like to promote themselves like "XXXX dps class lf guild/group"
    What if you dont beat the boss?

Too bad I dont PVP, not my stuff.
    Think you met too many elitist ppl in wow, my experience is different, dmg meter was used too weed out REALLY unskilled ppl (like my 4year old cousin whose father lets him play in pug raid for laughs).

Actually, you can see damage done for others in your group/raid with Mox, but you have to get a raid key and they need to sync up with it. As far as I'm concerned, the way damage meters work now is perfectly fine with me. I don't miss recount. It's an ineffective tool for "pros" to bash on "bads". As long as you get people to upload their logs after Ops to either TORparse or Askmrrobot, you can tell who needs help and who doesn't.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Parses like MOX and SWTORCombatlogs are completely legal according to various statements by the devs. These are third party programs that do not actually interact with the game. These programs just read the provided logs that are produced in another folder in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Parses like MOX and SWTORCombatlogs are completely legal according to various statements by the devs. These are third party programs that do not actually interact with the game. These programs just read the provided logs that are produced in another folder in real time.
    Sweet, gonna have to install one of those then

10+ Year Old Account
    MOX also uses DirectX injection to give you a log right in game.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    MOX also uses DirectX injection to give you a log right in game.
    SWTORCombatlogs does this as well.

Not that I am pushing one over the other. We use both, but have started using SWTORCL more often due to the reports available at their site.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTORCombatlogs does this as well.

Not that I am pushing one over the other. We use both, but have started using SWTORCL more often due to the reports available at their site.
    Clearly you are pushing one over the other. Hardly objective behaviour for a mod. Totally disappointed.

I'll have to look into SWTORCL, I'm guessing it functions similar to world of raids? If so that's pretty useful. MOX is sorely missing that.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Clearly you are pushing one over the other. Hardly objective behaviour for a mod. Totally disappointed.

I'll have to look into SWTORCL, I'm guessing it functions similar to world of raids? If so that's pretty useful. MOX is sorely missing that.
    Kind of, but not as in depth. It does have real time reports available on the website so you can look over everything with more information than just the PDS/HPS numbers. It is thematically similar to the in game UI.

There are some downsides to it though. Their website is very slow for me, the parser does appear to give me a bit of a performance hit and the DPS bars aren't different colors for each character.

I'm not 100% certain on the performance hit. I'm running a AMD Phenom II 3.2, GTX 470 and 8GB ram. I handle the game well enough, but I usually run with settings on low in raids just to be on the safe side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of, but not as in depth. It does have real time reports available on the website so you can look over everything with more information than just the PDS/HPS numbers. It is thematically similar to the in game UI.

There are some downsides to it though. Their website is very slow for me, the parser does appear to give me a bit of a performance hit and the DPS bars aren't different colors for each character.

I'm not 100% certain on the performance hit. I'm running a AMD Phenom II 3.2, GTX 470 and 8GB ram. I handle the game well enough, but I usually run with settings on low in raids just to be on the safe side.
    If it's a black edition you really should overclock that sucker

I'll look over it after class today it sounds like it's an easier way to share pertinent among or raid members.

Yes, I know we can use MoX, but still this thing dont show others ppl dmg done. And in pug environment, ppl dont use it anyway. Organized guilds are another matter, but im just not in one.
    Yes it does, just set up a raid ID and have people log into it. In a pug environment, if you're the leader, and you want them to log in, tell them to log in or you're kicking them. If you're not the leader, don't worry about it, that's his job to make sure the raid succeeds and if he's not worried about it neither should you be. Not everyone thinks every solution is simply "we need more deeps"

Think you met too many elitist ppl in wow, my experience is different, dmg meter was used too weed out REALLY unskilled ppl (like my 4year old cousin whose father lets him play in pug raid for laughs).
    While some people used it that way, most people used it to harrass people. IMO, SWTOR doesn't need that. YMMV, of course.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Another live meter to check out is SWMoniTOR. The developer built an 'export report' feature so you can upload it to the combat log parser sites. So we took advantage of that at Ask Mr. Robot, and built special parsing to read those files. If you use SWMoniTOR, you'll see a button that lets you upload it right to AskMrRobot.com for post-raid analysis.

I have also used MOX, and it's also a quality live damage meter.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    While some people used it that way, most people used it to harrass people. IMO, SWTOR doesn't need that. YMMV, of course.
    Yep definately, all we need now is a gearscore, and we can beat people over there heads whith how uber we are! I KID!!!!!!