Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

$77,000 real money DLC. Seriously.

Holy crap long link!

Downloadable content for $77K. One item. #*&@

And the article explains that this is just one of a list of "test" games essentially. It seems they're testing to find the "sweet spot" in how to make people pay as much as possible for in game items.
    Last edited by KingHorse; 2012-06-14 at 01:04 AM.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

What a delightful spin you put on that.

Anyway... it's interesting. I'm curious about how it will turn out. I almost guarantee somebody will buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Holy crap long link!

Downloadable content for $77K. One item. #*&@

And the article explains that this is just one of a list of "test" games essentially. It seems they're testing to find the "sweet spot" in how to make people pay as much as possible for in game items.
    I had to take a couple of looks between the article and your post, it seems you have linked to the wrong article, the one you are referring to is in the related stories on the right.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...190336373.html

You put the wrong link. That's the correct one.

As for my thoughts on this, it would extremely interesting to see who buys this item or if. And also to see how far people will go up the system buying items. Although, I doubt this information would be made public or put into a research journal.
    Last edited by Nengal; 2012-06-14 at 01:06 AM.

Yeah, your link leads to some Max Payne garbage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    I had to take a couple of looks between the article and your post, it seems you have linked to the wrong article, the one you are referring to is in the related stories on the right.
    Whoopsie, fixed the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    What a delightful spin you put on that.

Anyway... it's interesting. I'm curious about how it will turn out. I almost guarantee somebody will buy it.
    Spin?

Quote Originally Posted by link
    "It's an insane amount of money," Molyneux told New Scientist."This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

A psychology test? Indeed, that's the point of 22 Cans, who are planning on creating 22 experimental game projects designed to explore how we react to social media. Taken together, the results will then form the backbone of a new game, planned to be released in two years.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

"It seems they're testing to find the "sweet spot" in how to make people pay as much as possible for in game items."

I would call that a spin. "Psychology of monetisation" implies a lot of things that aren't necessarily 'how much can we charge guys before it's too much?' This would actually be a terrible way to do so, for one.

I should put some crap up on ebay for 77k and say it's a test of psychological proportions...

It's Peter Molyneux (the guy from Fable). He does over the top, outrageous things all the time and has the craziest ideas. That's why he has a doppelganger on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/PeterMolydeux

To parody the type of stuff that Molyneux comes up with (and it's actually turned out to be an amazing commentary on gaming in general as well).

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It's Peter Molyneux (the guy from Fable). He does over the top, outrageous things all the time and has the craziest ideas. That's why he has a doppelganger on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/PeterMolydeux

To parody the type of stuff that Molyneux comes up with (and it's actually turned out to be an amazing commentary on gaming in general as well).
    Some of those ideas... are actually surprisingly great. Some of them sound like things he'd actually say, too. That link is pretty entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard TB talk about it. It is a test in psychology, and as far as I'm concerned if anyone actually buys a $77k diamond pickaxe in a game that is not even really a game to get to the secret hidden message then I officially give up on humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Some of those ideas... are actually surprisingly great. Some of them sound like things he'd actually say, too. That link is pretty entertaining.
    There was actually a "Molyjam" started a while back to make a bunch of the games that came out of that twitter. Molyneux even got involved. Nobody knows who the owner of the twitter account is (other than someone who works in the games industry as some form of artist/animator or something).

If this gets a single sale my faith in humanity shall completly die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    If this gets a single sale my faith in humanity shall completly die.
    Zynga has many players that spend tens of thousands of dollars on their games every month, so I don't see this being as far fetched as it first appears.

LOL that's classic Peter Molyneux. You think they'd learn by now to do something to distract that crazy fucker every year around E3 time, or at least chaperone him while he waits in the green room to make sure he's not huffing paint or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I should put some crap up on ebay for 77k and say it's a test of psychological proportions...
    Actually, that's kind of the point. You should look up some of the wildest items ever sold on eBay, including a snowball (yes some squashed snow, kept in a fridge) and an air guitar, used. (Yes a non-existent air guitar)

Some people like to partake in buying these kinds of things for the sheer entertainment factor. Some people have more money than sense, this really is an interesting test.

Deleted
    It's hard to tell whether he's just quirky, greedy or both. Though at a time when many gamers are slowly growing more and more concerned by the amount of 'optional' money they are all but required and pressured to spend on their hobby, it strikes me as pretty questionable to do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    LOL that's classic Peter Molyneux. You think they'd learn by now to do something to distract that crazy fucker every year around E3 time, or at least chaperone him while he waits in the green room to make sure he's not huffing paint or something.
    Made my day xD

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Someone will buy it at some point. Guaranteed.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    Heard TB talk about it. It is a test in psychology, and as far as I'm concerned if anyone actually buys a $77k diamond pickaxe in a game that is not even really a game to get to the secret hidden message then I officially give up on humanity.
    There's a lot of money floating around out there waiting to be pissed away on something monumentally stupid like this.

Prepare to be disappointed.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".