This guy freaked me out

Some dude was advertising in chat lf1m h scenario and i whispered invite. For no apparent reason he tells me who is my alt and i say i dont have any (dont want randoms to know about my toons....) and he persists on wondering who is my alt character. Then about a minute later he whisps me and says that i have about 6...

Now i dont know how he found out about how many toons i have but being accurate on saying that i have 6 lvl 90s kinda scares me. How can any Tom Dick or Harry find out about how many toons someone has? I dont really know anyone and never seen him before...

3 options.

1, lucky guess.
    2, one of your friends is fucking with you.
    3, A GM.
    Playing since 2007.

guildox, can list your alts based on matching wow achievemant data it mines from the wow armory
    you are not your class,
    you are not how much gold you have in the bank
    you're not the mount you ride,
    you're not the contents of your bags,
    You're not your f***ing epics
    you're the all singing all dancing crap of the world....of warcraft

Why does that scare you? He guessed the number of characters you have in a game ... Not your National Security Number, Date of Birth, and Salary.

Chances are he knows you in some way, knows the guild(s) you're in and guessed by a similar naming convention used on all your other characters?

He used wowprogress

The new account-wide achievements has made it much easier to find out who your alts are. For example, see my WoWprogress page: http://www.wowprogress.com/character...wn/M%C3%A9ixiu

Look at all them alts! Of course, there's a lot of doubling up because I transferred servers a few months back, but I know for a fact I haven't added my alts to that page. WoWprogress must've added them automatically, but I can confirm that it's accurate.

So that's probably how the guy knows. Yeah, he's being a creeper, but he's using widely available information due to account wide achievements.

I think Guildox has an option to find alts or something.

And Wowprogress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guildox, why do you care?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    the info might not always be right, but guildox.com for example, when you type in your char and find it, there's a list of your alts (90's)

10+ Year Old Account
    there are loads of ways to find someone alt, it's nowadays not a secret. Or that it ever was.
    And why would you be scared, He probably only wants to know your alts so he can do them with your alts too, for the reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

wowprogress shows most of mine but it misses like 3 85s of mine, not sure why.

There are far worse stalkers online I assure you.

Is this you? (names withheld)
    Gundrak
    • undead mage 90
    • blood elf paladin 90
    • night elf druid 90
    • tauren shaman 90
    • pandaren monk 90
    • tauren shaman 90
    • blood elf warrior 90
    • blood elf hunter 90
    • night elf priest 90
    • human deathknight 90
    Frostmourne
    • undead priest 90
    • human deathknight 87

It's pretty easy to find and can be quite helpful for a quick background check.

Wowprogress does allow you to hide alts, although I wish they didn't. Not sure about other sites.
    1. Go to profile settings and set "Hide my alts" checkbox.
    2. Confirm at least one of your characters:
    Go to your character page and click "[edit]" link. After confirmation, all alts of this character will be hidden
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

As others have said Wowprogress and guildox may have your alts on record.

Go to armory > search for the character's name > go to guild page > go to roster > sort by achievement points > look for characters with (nearly) the same amount of points.

This only works if you have most of your alts in the same guild though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no..he ...found your in game character names?

What are you doing that requires you need explicit privacy on your alt characters? That a simple ignore/report won't fix if it grows bothersome?
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you can only find alts on one server?

That's good I capped out on alt across all servers.

lol i stalk people's alts on wowprogress alt the time :P. Anytime i join a pug i wow progress the guild/armory them to see their progression just to make sure i'm not wasting my time. You can find alts on all servers btw

With current 3 pets displayed on your armory it is extremely easy to make out who is who's alt.